Gluten Free

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
echelon
Longlasting Laner

Gluten Free

Post by echelon »

Do any of you follow a gluten free diet?

I have started to follow this after having some problems. I have also given up sugar - noticed the thread below on this subject.

The gluten free food seems to have worked really well for my problem and my blood sugar has now stabilised after years of experiencing hypos. I have more energy, my tummy isn't bloated and I don't feel so tired.

The gluten free foods are so expensive though. The flours aren't too bad, so I have been making some bread - it's a bit 'cakey', but very acceptable - the kids wolfed it down )c+

>mmm<
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Re: Gluten Free

Post by Sunny B »

I tried my son on a gluten and dairy free diet for a while, but it made no difference to him, so I gave up. I agree about the foods being expensive, but if you are happy to make your own bread, cakes, biscuits and puddings , then it is not so bad. It makes eating out difficult, though.
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
roddelmae
Longlasting Laner

Post by roddelmae »

I'm sorry, and I don't want to upset anyone, but I don't understand either of these posts.
Having been requested to supply gluten-free foods for guests in our b&b, I was given to understand that it is required for people with coeliac disease or a gluten-induced skin sensitivity. See this item
http://www.vegsoc.org/info/gluten.html
Echelon, surely the fact that have given up sugar would have more to do with your blood-sugar level and associated problems than the gluten free diet. As for trying it on your children with no good reason, this is pointless and unsurprisingly resulted in no change.
It would also surprise me if there were no risks involved, without consulting your GP first.
Again, I'm sorry if I've upset anyone, but I thought to hell with it, publish and be damned, and if got flack back. it's my fault.
What's right with this country is the freedom to discuss what's wrong with it.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I am not sure about wheat. Well, I am sure I love bread and cakes, but not sure if it is the wheat or the sugar (or either) which is giving me a problem at the moment.

I think it is probably more the fact that I don't eat bread very often, so when I do it is about 5 slices. Not good. And although I eat cake a lot, I still eat several slices at once. :oops:
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

I used to follow a gluten free diet years ago after surgery for cervical cancer left my digestive system all over the place. I had real problems and Dr told me that surgery often starts food intolerances.
Any way to cut a long story short my Granddaughter had an allergic reaction at a party where peanuts were put out, and was tested to find out if she was allergic to anything else..The test showed positive to Soya amongst other things.. I started reading labels and found that almost everything that has wheat in has Soya added, So as a family we sourced products without Soya and I started baking my own bread, biscuits and cakes again..The result is that I can eat wheat :-D - it is Soya that's the problem ( it's a bean and as such causes bloating). A few of my friends who had IBS have also been healthy since avoiding Soya... Soya is also added to chocolate, but following a full on campaign with cadbury's they are now producing a lot of their range without Soya - just hoping that the takeover doesn't mean we're back to the campaign trail again!!!!!!! )sh
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

roddelmae, I did not try the diet on my son with no good reason, he is autistic, and gluten and dairy free diets have been show to have beneficial results in a lot of cases. When you have a child with a disability that no-one really understands the cause of, and there is no treatment for, you are more likely to try something that seems like it would not cause any harm or discomfort. I was following information gleaned from various publications borrowed from our local autistic society's library, some written by parents and some by nutritionists..

I am very interested in nutrition and health generally, and feel I did a good job providing a good diet. I felt that a month was a fair trial, and stopped after that as there was no change.
roddelmae
Longlasting Laner

Post by roddelmae »

As I deserved, I got flack back from Sunnyy B, and for that, I apologise.
What's right with this country is the freedom to discuss what's wrong with it.
Dave
Legendary Laner

Post by Dave »

my son
has food allergies
and we have to carry an epi pen with us
he can't have
egg white
nuts
white fish
soya
diary
and he has a very very slight form of celiac
we found this out when he was 18 months
which made feeding him a proplem
as he could not have milk or the common substitute soya!!!!!

over the years we have let him have some stuff that maybe he should not be having
and at the last test
we were told
to just carry on as he will naturally build up his own defence system against his allergies
he is now 11
and all we really avoid
is
egg
white fish
and nuts
and we keep everything else in moderation
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

Aplogy accepted, roddelmae.

Dave, that must be really hard for you all, especially for eating out and visiting friends.
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

I'm not sure if this is relevant, so I apologise in advance.
My dad is type 2 diabetic and has had fantastic success in controlling his blood sugar levels by cutting all carbohydrates from his diet. He has lost some weight, he rarely feels bloated of over-full, has fewer headaches and is generally happier and healthier for it.
While I am not by any means suggesting anyone else should try this, he is constantly telling me about how everyone could benefit for just cutting the amount of processed carbs in their diet - such as breads, cakes and pasta - that are flour-based. It has definately worked for him and lots of other diabetics
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Dave wrote:my son
has food allergies

We are in the same situation with my granddaughter it can be tough on the kids but even harder on the adults...... I have some great egg free recipes if you need them.. My egg free birthday cakes and chocolate cakes are a real treat for my granddaughter and adults actually prefer them.. One thing anaphalaxis has taught me is that there is a lot of rubbish sold under the label of 'food'.. :?
Dave
Legendary Laner

Post by Dave »

jannie wrote:
Dave wrote:my son
has food allergies

We are in the same situation with my granddaughter it can be tough on the kids but even harder on the adults...... I have some great egg free recipes if you need them.. My egg free birthday cakes and chocolate cakes are a real treat for my granddaughter and adults actually prefer them.. One thing anaphalaxis has taught me is that there is a lot of rubbish sold under the label of 'food'.. :?

pm me your email and i will send you some of our recipies
and you can send me some of yours
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
echelon
Longlasting Laner

Post by echelon »

My son has a severe nut allergy too :?

It's estimated that about 15% of the population have difficulty digesting gluten, particularly wheat.

My son's digestion has improved over the last few days and I'm not going back to eating gluten because I feel so much better )t'