Insect bites STILL itching

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Insect bites STILL itching

Post by Sunny B »

I got 4 bites on my leg three weeks ago and they are STILL red and itchy and driving me crazy. I've just been Googling and can't find anything about it.

I will admit to sticking a needle in and trying to get the poison out a couple fo days after I was bitten, though I've always done that in the past and it's usually helped.

What to do??
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
Steve the Gas

Re: Insect bites STILL itching

Post by Steve the Gas »

Prolly mozzy/ midge bites, I always react to mozzy bites and there are 6 native species.
Use g.ermalene and anti- histamine - should soothe them.
Meredith
Longlasting Laner

Post by Meredith »

If you put a drop of lavender oil on each bite it should help to soothe the irritation. Lavender oil is brilliant for bites and stings and you can use it undiluted.
Sunny Clucker welcome in Barnsley.
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Yep, as Steve says, except I use sudacrem and an anti histermine )t'
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Yes, lavender oil is fab for taking the itch away. Also rub a damp bar of soap over the bite, it really works )t'
Tiger Balm is also brilliant for stopping the itching. I always used to buy it when visiting my brother in Singapore but it is now available in Boots. The only downside is it is very strong smelling (a bit like Vicks) but I quite like it :-D

Lucy x
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I use one of those clickers from boooots - but they are most effective if used asap. If not, anti histamine cream or someone once told me toothpaste helps.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

I've reacted rather badly to insect bites the last couple of years too - seem to be more virulent ones about.
Try Tea Tree oil - it's antibacterial and anti-inflammatory. You can get it in chemists or even Tescos if you shop there.
With these big, swollen ones, I've found it helps if I scratch around, NOT on, the area - seems to bring more blood flow in to help healing. Or if very hot, try cooling it down with a flannel soaked in cold water.
Hope this helps.
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

Antihistamine cream doesn't do a thing for me, I discovered I have no lavender oil, so tried tea tree, still itchy.

But the main thing is should they still be so bad after three weeks? confused> Usually bites are gone in a few days.

And yesterday I went for a guided walk and ended up with a fresh selection of bites {cry}
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Sunny, I had a couple of bites in May that turned really nasty. I ended up at the doc's with them as my whole leg swelled up and went bright red (VERY attractive!).
Within a couple of days of antibiotics the swelling and redness had gone but the bites are still there nearly 3 months on. They seem to come and go - I can hardly notice them for a few days and then they seem to flair up again although the flairs are becoming less often so hopefully they'll stop soon :?

Lucy x
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Have you tried antihistamine tablets? Some take a while to build up and work but others are quicker.

Having said that, when I was in Italy I ended up at hospital having steroid injections as both my legs were incredibly swollen, red, running with yellow goo and agonisingly itchy. yike*
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

p.penn wrote: both my legs were incredibly swollen, red, running with yellow goo and agonisingly itchy. yike*

Not a good holiday look :shock:
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

{rofwl}

Not a great holiday feeling either! Quite aside froma nything else, the puss clashed with my bikini. )grin2(
Helen xx

roddelmae
Longlasting Laner

Post by roddelmae »

My missus is tasty, but I wish the local insects didn't think so.
Every time we go down the garden at this time of year, she gets eaten alive.
They leave me alone!
Or does this suggest something about me being distasteful to bugs?
What's right with this country is the freedom to discuss what's wrong with it.
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Just checking for inuendo in the above 8) sile} )grin2(
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I'm sure I read somewhere that the amount of iron in your blood affects whether you are bitten a lot.
Helen xx