Open water swimming

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Open water swimming

Post by Bollybarb »

I've been training all year to swim a mile in lake windermere this weekend and i'm as ready as i'll ever be!!!

Part of my training is swimming in a local lake surrounded by people in wetsuits :shock: i've really enjoyed my training and feel much fitter for doing some exercise.

However the swim has been cancelled due to blue green alge, and i'm so disappointed {cry} but i've booked to swim in salford keys instead.

Does anyone else enjoy swimming?
Was anyone else signed up for the swim?
Barbara
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Re: Open water swimming

Post by Sunny B »

How disappointing that your swim was cancelled {cry}

I've always loved swimming, but usually in the comfort of an indoor pool, where I'll happily swim my 64 lengths (1 mile).

This year, though, I've been inspired by Alice Roberts' wild swimming programme, along with the repeat of Robson Greene's one and I've been swimming in the sea a lot more without my wetsuit. Yesterday I went to Plymouth to swim in the Tinside Lido, and it was magical! If only our summers were longer and the water this warm for more of the year.

My friend is coming up for his 10th anniversary of swimming all year in the sea (no wetsuit) and is trying to persuade me to have a go yike* I'm not sure I'll be so keen when the water is grey, choppy and 4 degrees :shock: (it's 17 degrees at the mo!)
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

You are brave, i love my wet suit!!!

The Salford swim is tomorrow and currently the water temp is 15c, but i'm really looking forward to it!!! :-D :-D

I've never swam at the Plymouth lido, dispite growing up 15 miles away!! maybe i'll try it next time i vist the parents.
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
perchy

Post by perchy »

I saw this on the news programme, the algae, they did say that they were trying to re-organise it, have you heard anything yet? good luck tomorrow )t'
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

The Windermere swim was completly cancelled but lots of people signed up for the Salford swim instead. Not quiet the same as swiming in beautiful windermere, swimming in middle of Salford (Nr Manchester) around the Lowy theatre in the ship canal!!!! But there will be TV cameras there :oops:
perchy

Post by perchy »

Bollybarb wrote:The Windermere swim was completly cancelled but lots of people signed up for the Salford swim instead. Not quiet the same as swiming in beautiful windermere, swimming in middle of Salford (Nr Manchester) around the Lowy theatre in the ship canal!!!! But there will be TV cameras there :oops:

Waterproof mascara then :-D
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

OMG you are brave!!! I'd be frightened of what else was in the water (fish!!).

I've just recently learnt to swim, love it, still get nervous but its a great form of exercise, but open water swimming - WOW I would be petrified.

Go girl, go!!!! )t'
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

>gl< >fi< )t'
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

Thanks everyone :-D

Perchy, i'm not a makeup kind of girl :? but now i'm thinking....... is it to late to dye them??
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

>gl< The sea here is 15 degrees and feels really warm after you've been in for a while - I really hope you enjoy it!

We'll be looking out for you on the telly - have you got a swimming hat with a pic of a hen on it? )t(
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

That's a good idea, but I have the official purple hat along with 300 other people!!! It will be hard to spot me!!! Thankfully!!!
perchy

Post by perchy »

Bollybarb wrote:That's a good idea, but I have the official purple hat along with 300 other people!!! It will be hard to spot me!!! Thankfully!!!

Yes, but you wont have any mascara on )t'

Good luck :-D
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Good luck today....'hope you enjoy your swim... )t'