lower back pain

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
mikey
Lively Laner

Re: lower back pain

Post by mikey »

Well being to the doc's who decide I had a bad back, worked out some exercise's for me to do to help loosen up the problem area and recomended some more physio. Also came up with a gell to work into the back without side effects. Anyway rang the physio and going round to see him tomorrow afternoon.
lizziedoggarden
Legendary Laner

Post by lizziedoggarden »

Thats good news )t'
We have a waiting list of 9 months to see our physio :?
Don't dream it, BE it....

Am looking forward to welcoming Sunny Clucker to Woodbridge Suffolk!!!!!
mikey
Lively Laner

Post by mikey »

only reason that I saw mine today is I am not using the NHS, my doc's offer was a 6 week plus wait which is of little help to me. I have a very good chap who can fit me in within a couple of days most times, yes it costs me to use John but it gets results when I need them
sharon1
Lively Laner

Post by sharon1 »

Hi Mikey and to anyone who suffers from Back pain. I have been suffering for the past 20 years with lower back pain accompanied by sciatica. I have just put up with it, but when I do have a bad turn ie. when my back locks, the doctor prescibes me Kapak (I think it is a very strong form of Cocodimol). I have also found comfort in a Tens machine which can be obtained from any chemist. It costs around £15 but I find it is a lifesaver. Even though it doesn't get rid of the pain, the electric pulses hides it (variable pulses to suit your needs) and I find I can get around and do light jobs. It is not advisable to use if you have a pacemaker but I have an Arrythmia and I can still use it. This is the only product I find is 100% effective, Pilates, stretch exercises, acupuncture, etc haven't worked for me, if anything they make my back worse and I'm dubious about having an operation. Hope that helps.
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Tens machine didn't/ doesn't do much for me, but I reckon its a case of what works for you scenario.
sharon1
Lively Laner

Post by sharon1 »

That's true, it's trial and error. Every individual's needs are different. It wouldn't do any justice all being the same )t'
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Be a lot easier to fix though......
sharon1
Lively Laner

Post by sharon1 »

Sure would, if only!
sharon1
Lively Laner

Post by sharon1 »

I also have another secret aid but it is extreme cost wise, it does work though, a water bed. :-D People often assume you get sea sick with the motion, but depending on what firmness, I have medium which does not give off any motions (pardon the expression). The medium firmness is mostly recommended for bad backs and assures a good nights sleep. ~eep~
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

Sharon you are too right finding the right bed for you back is a big part of things, we went through cheap options but in the end bit the bullet and bought an expesive mattress and things are much better, just wish we had done it in the first place.......

My Gp has adviced me to reduce my NSAI and I'm currently suffering...... but there are so many complications from long term anti imflamitories use it should be worth it (alchol helps )w( )
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
sharon1
Lively Laner

Post by sharon1 »

Hi Bollybarb, sorry to hear about the withdrawal symptoms, that's why I wouldn't take NSAI's, I'm already addicted to Paroxetine for Anxiety attacks and have been advised to stay on them for the rest of my life (which I'm quite happy doing), but wasn't prepared to become addicted to anything else. I have spent a small fortune on gadgets for back problems, some which are useful like the one's already mentioned, others like the inversion table has been trial and error. Also having magnetic back massagers in the car, a great one for long journeys. I'm in the process of trying to find a good Chiropractor (fingers crossed that may help). Reflexology and Accupuncture didn't do me any justice. But I think at the end of the day, if you can get a goodnights sleep, daytime can be more manageable. Alcohol sometimes allieviates the problem but not advisable on a regular basis, can become ADDICTIVE. I also find being on the move helps to ease the stiffness no matter how much pain I'm in. Sitting on the sofa or lying in bed for long stretches makes matters worse in the long run. Good luck with trying to get back to normal and I hope the above info may be of some use to you.
mikey
Lively Laner

Post by mikey »

Well I have given up with the pain killers as 30 grain Cocodimol was causing a stomach upset the more I took it. I will now work on better ways of managing the problem, I have been using a heat pad in the evenings which help. It seems to be going though a cycle of a few days good then playing up again. Have not tried a tens machine but may look into one. Thanks for all the advice and info.
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Try it )t'
Have you been offered an epidural yet?
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

Yes try a tens machine, i've benifited from it at times.
Sharon i've reduced my NSAI from 120mg a day to 30mg, which is too little, i can't function due to pain/ stiffness so an having 30mg one day then 60mg the next seems to be working at the moment, at least i can get dressed by my self at this level, when i was on 30mg only it was a real struggle to do anything first thing. I'm relativly active, i swim 1/2 mile at least x3 a week and am swimming a mile in slaford quays tomorrow!!!
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
sharon1
Lively Laner

Post by sharon1 »

Hi Bollybarb, good on you for all the swimming. Is it tablet form you are taking? If so, could you break the second tablet in half in order to reduce and see if you can manage on that particular dose which would be 45mg. Tablet cutters can be obtained from the chemist. That's what I have been doing with my tablets. As I am on such a lose dose of Paroxetine, the doctor said I was able to stay on it permanently (I had severe side effects when I came off it 5 years ago, so went back on them again). Mikey, it is worth trying the Tens machine, for the cost it won't break the bank and if you don't find it works and you have daughters/wife who have bad menstrual pains, you can always pass it on to them. I believe it is also good for those problems too.