Radioactive iodine treatment

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Radioactive iodine treatment

Post by Sunny B »

Has anyone else had this for overactive thyroid? Mines gone on the blink again, and this sounds like the best long-term treatment, but rather scary having to keep a metre away from everyone and hubby having to sleep in the living room for a few weeks yike* Wonder if I'll glow in the dark? :shock:
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
wendy

Re: Radioactive iodine treatment

Post by wendy »

Day-glo yellow I think it is. I hope it suits you :-D
Poor you, best get it sorted out though.
It isn't forever is it, just a short period of time ?
Wend
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

Goodness, sounds scary. But if it is going to work then it will be worth it. Good luck.
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

I worked for a while in Radiopharmacy preparing treatments like this. It's well tried and tested, and so much less traumatic than the alternative, which is surgery to remove some of the gland.
Try not to worry too much, I'm sure it will be fine.
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

)ot: Homemade got the avatar sorted

)c(
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

Ahh, you noticed! The last one disappeared when they did the site revamp the other day. Only just got round to finding a new one. )ot:

Glad Rhubarb knows about the treatment Sunny. Perhaps you will live up to your name and glow to cheer us all up through the winter.
Chrissy
Learner Laner

Post by Chrissy »

Hi Sunny B, don't know if this will help at all but I have a underactive thyroid aswell and am on 150micrograms of stuff a day. I was in Lidl last week and I picked up a box of salt with added Iodine. I'm giving it a go but as you will know from experience if it's to do with the thyroid it seems to take ages to work. Good luck with your treatment, I only mention this as it may help on top of other things.
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

Underactive and overactive thyroids are opposite ends of the thyroid workings. My hubby has a thyroid which has practically stopped completely but luckily the pills can replace the thyroxin needed.
Sunny will know which type benefits from added iodine. I seem to recall that it used to be added to all salt for the general health of the nation.
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

Thanks all. Glad to hear from your experience it should be OK, Rhubarb, I really didn't fancy surgery.

They've said that 80% will go underactive after the treatment, but that is esier to treat.

I'm on a no iodised salt diet until it's done, along with no fish or sea products and things with a certain red colouring in. No cod liver oil capsules or glucosamine for the time being, either. Maybe you could try eating all those things and see what happens, Chrissy?

Maybe I'll look like someone from one of the old Ready-Brek adverts, if anyone remembers those?
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
Chrissy
Learner Laner

Post by Chrissy »

Hi Sunny B, sorry my bad, read it wrong. So used to looking at under, didn't see the over. Good luck with what you do. Either way its a major pain.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

What a nuicance, hope all goes well. {hug}

Actually, it sounds quite exciting - perhaps you could rob a bank or something - 'give me all the money or I will cuddle you' should do it!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com