Does meditation work?

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Does meditation work?

Post by Meanqueen »

I thought I might try some meditation to get de-stressed, not sure if I believe in it. Does anyone know if it works?

I think you have to sit down in a quiet room and stare at something and see what happens. I can't sit cross legged for long on the floor, my legs would ache, is it ok to sit on a chair?

Ilona
:?
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

Ilona

Its not something which you have to believe in - its not like that. Nor is it necessarily the stereotypical sit cross legged staring at a candle type of thing - if you google Guided Meditations, then thats a great starting point. Its like someone telling you a story, but you get really relaxed. difficult to describe, but try it out!! Sometimes, you can get a 'script' and record yourself and listen back to it, or you can also get pre-recorded ones.

Citrine
My Websites; http://www.tranquillitytherapies.co.uk
Dave
Legendary Laner

Post by Dave »

ummmmmmm
ummmmmmm
ummmmmmmm
(im medatating)

nope it don't work for me )j;
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

I tried it, it is very hard, i just can't concentrate for that long, my head wonders off all over the place.
I used some tapes from a guy called Paramanda I think it was called, trouble was, he had a slight speech impedement so you tuned into that instead :oops:
If you can meditate then it's brilliant, we used to do a good 1/2 hour at the end of a yoga class I used to go to, but again I couldn't concentrate as one woman used to break wind...really really loud & made me snigger )c( )c(
When will I grow up )j;
Cheers
mel x
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Try listening to some relaxing music or sounds (such as sea shores and whale song); quite music played through head phones works for me. I think that it’s important to clear stresses from the mind before hand so as to become relaxed; if a driver cuts you up in their car a good way to stop yourself getting stressed is to make excuses for them rather than get angry because of their actions. I’m getting better at doing this. Believe it or not a quick burst of exercise is also a great de-stressing tool.
Bah Humbug
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

I need that with work today!!!!! )de:
Small steps lead to big changes
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

he he, i'm on leave for two weeks for easter (yes i know it's late but i didn't decide on that.) enjoy work.
Bah Humbug
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

There are a lot of folks here who meditate. A spiritual centre is only up the road a bit and they do classes with meditation etc. I cant sit still for more than a few minutes so its no good to me. I can just walk through to the beach and sit watching the seals or the waves and thats lovely. Or go riding after work excercising a friends mad mare on quiet country roads (f+
Looove chucks!
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

Seahorse, you lucky thing, you! (f+
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

I know, hey ho! Count my blessings every day (f+
Looove chucks!
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I firmly believe it does. It's whether you call it meditating or just thinking maybe.

Just laying down on grass on a summers day is similar.

I do some Tai Chi on the Players Balcony before they come in and also in the back garden, but that's kind of control more than thought.

I also like sitting in Churches and Canterbury Cathedral just having 'quiet time'. I light a candle and just look at it.

Guess it's whatever turns you on.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
ged
Lively Laner

Meditation

Post by ged »

:-D ,
Hi Richard,
Liv Tyler turns me on!Seriously,I have used meditation as a very important part of de-stressing me,for about 20 years now.I sometimes light a small tea light candle and have relaxing orchestral music playing quietly in the room.I feel it is important to me that I have time for me,that is often hard to achieve at present,but I can meditate when gardening,using bird song to focus my thoughts.
We are all individual people and have complex needs and character,I believe meditation helps me fulfil my needs in the non physical arena.I also believe that the 'inner me' is enriched by meditation,a quiet time in a noisy intrusive world of 24/7.
have a great day all,
atb
ged,
Dave,you watch too much Ray Winstone!(as in 'Arthur')Ummmmmmmm!LOL
'Ask not what can your Country do for you,rather,What can you do for your Country'
John F Kennedy
Service before self,
Strength and honour.
heebiejeebie
Lively Laner

Post by heebiejeebie »

I can't sit still long enough to meditate. I turn my brain off when I'm running and just concentrate on breathing and rhythm. It's like meditation but less boring ((w
There's no cure for stupidity.
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

...everyone is different, and those that practice it, do it in different ways. Its not always like what you see on 'karate kid' with the candle, sitting cross legged and 'Ohm-ing' you know! So I was glad to see all the different ways others do it, whether they ackowledge it as meditation, is another thing altogether.

Looks like we have a pretty chilled bunch here!! )c(
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

Here’s a couple of basic techniques:

1) Simple Breathing Meditation

Find a quiet room, and sit in a comfortable position, either on the floor or in a chair. Close your eyes.

Consciously relax the muscles in your feet, then your calves, and work way up your body until everything is loose.

Now focus your attention on your breathing. Breathe in deeply through your nose, and then let your breath out through your mouth. Count your breaths, and say the number of the breath as you let it out, which helps you to focus your mind and avoid distraction.

Do this for 10 or 20 minutes, then allow yourself to slowly come back up to full speed.

2) Focused Object Meditation

Choose an object, any object – a vase of flowers, a burning candle, a beautiful piece of fabric with a complex design. It can even be a coffee mug or a lamp.

Examine the shape, colors, shadow and light, texture movement of the object. Breathe deeply and rhythmically, and let your mind go wherever it wants, but stay focused on the object. Allow yourself at least 10 minutes to examine every detail.

3) Focused Sound Meditation. 4) Focused Imagery Meditation

Here, you create a mental image in your mind of a happy, relaxing place. You could be on a tropical beach, or floating on a raft in a mountain lake, or even lying in a king-sized bed in a luxury hotel – whatever you find the most calm and restful to think about.

Breathe in and out, slowly and rhythmically. As thoughts enter your mind, let them drift back out – focus entirely on your “happy place as you breathe