Accepting who I am..

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
lizziedoggarden
Legendary Laner

Accepting who I am..

Post by lizziedoggarden »

Has anyone ever reached a stage in their lives where they think instead of fighting something, they should just accept it?
I struggle to keep my weight at a level I like, quite thin, but last few months it just seems too darn hard to keep at the weight I am. In my ideal world I'd be 3/4 LBS lighter..but to be honest my weight isn't bad but it's like I'm always struggling to achieve that extra little bit of extra weight loss.
I'm going to a Spa in 2 weeks and I feel I need to look " good and slim".

But just been thinking..maybe I need to start accepting that I'm not that young anymore and be grateful for how I look/feel NOW and stop trying to achieve what feels the impossible.. }hairout{
Don't dream it, BE it....

Am looking forward to welcoming Sunny Clucker to Woodbridge Suffolk!!!!!
perchy

Re: Accepting who I am..

Post by perchy »

I am going through the exact same thing to be honest, and now I am going to lose another tooth {cry} and have to have a plate {cry} I cannot take the pain anymore. Getting older is part of life we all know that, but accepting ourselves for who we are is the hardest, I often want to change lots about myself, but then I think if I did I wouldn't be me, and to be honest I quite like me :-D

Still want to be a size 10
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

If your weight is not affecting your health, then don't be influenced by the fashion industry image of what we should look like.
I've given up wearing shoes that hurt my feet, and can't think why I did it for so long.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Do you know I was only thinking the same yesterday. I am not old by any means, but there is a lot of pressure from society as a whole, where it says that women of my age are still spring chickens when, actually, I am definitely gradually falling to bits and wouldn't mind being allowed to be getting old.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
perchy

Post by perchy »

yike* yike*

It must be time of year, bet there are lots of others who are thinking the same

GROUP HUG {hug} {hug} {hug}
lizziedoggarden
Legendary Laner

Definitely Perchy.. {hug} {hug}

My sister seemed to "change" as soon as she hit 40..stopped caring about herself, stopped wearing make up, stopped colouring her hair, she also started wearing dowdy clothes..and I promised myself I would NOT get like that when I got to 40..but it seems that as I approach 42 I should stop being a wally and just get on with it and stop trying to be something I'm not.But I don't want to get old gracefully! }hairout{

It's a comfort to know I'm not alone.. {hug} {hug}

Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

lizziedoggarden wrote:But I don't want to get old gracefully!

Disgracefully is the way to get old.
I spend half my time in pubs (but only for the music, you understand). and the other half dancing in my comfy shoes.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

That's lovely - it sounds as if you are doing things you really enjoy Mo. )t'
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

We've all got the right to be happy. I used to be a clothes horse, do all sorts of exercise and dance classes, would ride about 6 times a week.

Those were the days, I've put a lot of weight on since then, don't always wear suits and designer clothes all of the time now (just special occasions), live in jods and leggings and tops and body warmers - but so what I'm happy(ish).

Isn't that what it is all about - being happy in your skin. )t'
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

You are absolutely right ,dont let pressure from other individuals or groups make you feel that you are somehow letting the side down by not conforming to what is perceived as ideal.
Lizzie ,sorry, but I will have to come round and slap your btm for goodness sake 42 is stillyoung middleaged (if that makes sense) dont start putting yourself in the getting old bracket yet - still think life getting you down with one problem after another has a bit to do with things.
I can't do heels anymore or at least only if I am sitting down in them !
My frustration comes when my brain is convinced I can do something that maybe I did years ago and then my stiff joints say oh no you dont }hairout{
Anyway I think we are all just gorgeous on this forum so there
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
lizziedoggarden
Legendary Laner

Annie..you are lovely! {hug}
Like you say, maybe I'll feel better when we get a bit of sunshine...and I have had alot on my plate..so shall kick meself up the you know what and get a grip... :-D

I've not done heels for about ten years..even though at 5 ft 1in I need them {rofwl}

saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

There is too much pressure from society to conform to the perceived norm. The perceived norm is what fashion designers, Hollywood producers and glossy gossip rags editors tell you it is. Louis Theroux did a documentary a few years back about plastic surgery, there were ladies in their 80’s who looked like skeletons with canvass puled taught across their bones; it is what Hollywood sees as beautiful apparently. Keep fit by all means, I do, and it makes sense. You only get one chance at life enjoy it. If you think about how unlikely it was that an individual gets to be conceived let alone born and then consider how lucky the individual is to be born into a relatively prosperous society than a few pounds of extra weight (and I have quite a few of them) are irrelevant. I could do with losing a stone if the truth be known, but I spend at least six hours a week in the gym doing CV stuff, oh well never mind.
Bah Humbug
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

On the local BBC radio recently, they had a phone in about how ladies over 40 should wear their hair.

Lots of folks were saying it should be cut short yike* and some even said to see a lady with long hair over 40 looks disgusting!!

I don't care what they said as this 40 year old will be staying long! :-D :-D :-D
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

lizziedoggarden wrote:Annie..you are lovely! {hug}
Like you say, maybe I'll feel better when we get a bit of sunshine...and I have had alot on my plate..so shall kick meself up the you know what and get a grip... :-D

I've not done heels for about ten years..even though at 5 ft 1in I need them {rofwl}

Aww don't be so hard on yourself, it sounds like you've had a heck of a lot to deal with and it does all take it's toll.

A bit of sunshine does us all good, let's hope it's just around the corner.
{hug}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Benny&Co wrote:I don't care what they said as this 40 year old will be staying long! :-D :-D :-D

I am assuming that you avatar is a 19 year old photo then.
Bah Humbug