Accepting who I am..

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Willow
Legendary Laner

Re: Accepting who I am..

Post by Willow »

I just found this in my email box , no idea who wrote it, but thought it was sort of apt, and even if it doesn't apply right now, its a nice thought for the future {hug&kiss}

I would never trade my amazing friends and my wonderful life, for less gray hair or a flatter belly. As I’ve aged, I've become kinder to myself, and less critical of myself. I've become my own friend. I don't chide myself for eating that extra cookie, or for not making my bed, or for buying that silly cement gecko that I didn't need, but looks so avante garde on my patio. I am entitled to a treat, to be messy, to be extravagant.

I have seen too many dear friends leave this world too soon; before they understood the great freedom that comes with ageing.

Whose business is it if I choose to read or play on the computer until 4 AM and sleep until noon? I will dance with myself to those wonderful tunes of the 60 & 70's, and if I, at the same time, wish to weep over a lost love..... I will.

I will walk the beach in a swim suit that is stretched over a bulging body, and will dive into the waves with abandon if I choose to, despite the pitying glances from the jet set. They, too, will get old.

I know I am sometimes forgetful. But there again, some of life is just as well forgotten. And I eventually remember the important things.

Sure, over the years my heart has been broken. How can your heart not break when you lose a loved one, or when a child suffers, or even when somebody's beloved pet gets hit by a car? But broken hearts are what give us strength and understanding and compassion. A heart never broken is pristine and sterile and will never know the joy of being imperfect.

I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turning gray, and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my face.

So many have never laughed, and so many have died before their hair could turn silver.

As you get older, it is easier to be positive. You care less about what other people think.. I don't question myself anymore. I've even earned the right to be wrong.

So, to answer your question, I like being old. It has set me free. I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be. And I shall eat dessert every single day (if I feel like it).
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Post by secret squirrel »

That is very powerful!!. Its true isnt it? In many ways, who gives a .................. {hug}
lorna
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Its rare I give one and more rare to ....
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

Willow, that's wonderful. Very wise words.
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Sunny B wrote:Willow, that's wonderful. Very wise words.

I agree.. I only wish I was that wise......
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Lovely. )t'
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

I used to worry that everything had gone south (or is it west? i can never remember) {rofwl} I dont worry anymore )t'

That was brill Willow {hug}
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
hennypenny
Lively Laner

Post by hennypenny »

I have been feeling really down myself lately and it's a comfort knowing others understand how I feel.
Usual stuff - I'm so overweight, I ought to be doing more exercise (or even some).
Then I think, blow it.
I like butter on my toast and my home made chips are the best.
We need to accept ourselves as the lovely people we are.
I love what you wrote earlier Wiillow.
Love to you all. {hug&kiss}
lizziedoggarden
Legendary Laner

Post by lizziedoggarden »

Bless you.. {hug} {hug}
Don't dream it, BE it....

Am looking forward to welcoming Sunny Clucker to Woodbridge Suffolk!!!!!
dondon
Lively Laner

Post by dondon »

Powerful words and very true {hug}
loving my chucker luckers :)