Mouth ulcers

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: Mouth ulcers

Post by Benny&Co »

I'm pretty sure there's a Bonjela or something like that for babies Lucy. I'll have a look, see what I can find out for you.

Mind you, having said that, lots of things are packaged up for children of a certain age and yet in hospital we just calculate according to age and weight. For instance, Calpol (paracetamol) comes in two strengths 120 in 5ml and 250 in 5ml - we use either and calculate the dose )t'

Glad you've got a nice dentist at least )t' it does help if they're nice.
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Ah righty ho, it's seems that because Bonjela is made up of choline salicylate (a form of asprin), that's why the advice has changed. It's because of an association between oral salicylates and Reye's Syndrome - a very rare but serious condition that occurs mainly in children.

The pharmacist was right in not selling it to you Lucy - it states in the paediatric BNF (formulary) not to give to children under 16 )t'

You could get some Bonjela teething gel, which is officially used for babies teething but contains lidocaine - another very good pain reliever.
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Thanks for that Bev )t'
I'll stop sulking now and thinking the pharmacist was being overly silly :oops:
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

No worries Lucy :-D

I do sometimes feel a bit sorry for the pharmacists, they're kind of in between a rock and a hard place sometimes - damned if they do, damned if they don't.

You could always get the teething one, see how Izzy goes hey )t'
Bev x