Mouth ulcers

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Mad Chick

Mouth ulcers

Post by Mad Chick »

Izzy has got the biggest mouth ulcer I've ever seen. She had a brace fitted 10 days ago and I think it is rubbing. The actual white ulcer bit is now about 1cm across (about the size of a fingernail) but her whole bottom lip is very swollen and dark red and it bleeds from time to time.

We've tried bonjela, TCP, salt water, brandy soaked cotton wool and have just bought some of that iglu stuff advertised on the TV (but can't get it to stay in place!)

Bless her heart, it is really making her miserable. I have told her to remove the brace for today to try to let it heal a little but she's read the leaflet that came with it and it says not too so she won't!

Anyone got any other ideas? )hlp>
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
p.penn

Re: Mouth ulcers

Post by p.penn »

Oh poor thing, ulcers are horrible at the best of times, let alone with a new brace rubbing. Perhaps you could ring the orthodontists and see what they say - if it is that big, she doesn't want to be getting an infection or anything. {hug}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Oh poor Izzy, that's rotten {cry}

I'd be inclined as Helen says too, to go back to your dentist and/or orthodontist - they might be able to give you something to cover the brace so it doesn't rub.

I remember back in the day when I had one, they used to have this sticky stuff, almost like gel/rubber that you could put over the top of the brace.

Other than that, mouth ulcers can be a sign of a vitamin B deficiency, so maybe worth getting some?

As I'm sure you know Lucy, you can give paracetamol and ibuprofen together and they work very well for pain.

Hope Izzy's feeling better real soon {hug}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Good cure coming up........ but it is painful for a few seconds.

Lick index finger, dip in salt and rub the ulcer with it for as long as she can stand it. Rinse mouth - give it a few mins....... no more pain. )t'
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

That's what I do Steve but I'm obviously not as much of a wus as my daughter )grin2(

I have spoken to the orthodontist this afternoon who basically said there's nothing he can do, she should leave the brace in and eventually her mouth will get used to it and toughen up )gr:

After several attempts, we have now managed to get the iglu stuff to stay put so fingers crossed it works >fi<
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

I can remember years ago when I had a mouth ulcer buying a cure that said to apply to a dry area . WHAT in the mouth ? Poor Izzy hope you get a bit of relief soon and brave you for persevering with the brace in no time you will have a Hollywood smile )t' {hug}
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Meredith
Longlasting Laner

Post by Meredith »

A used tea bag put over it for as long as she can stand it should help with the pain and speed up the healing process. It's not much fun sitting with a tea bag in your mouth, especially if you bite it open - yuck but it really does help.
Sunny Clucker welcome in Barnsley.
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Did the Orthodentist actually examine Izzy to see if it is rubbing or not? If not how do they know the brace is not rubbing or theres a small infection there. If you have a blister on your hand you cover it with something so that things don't rub which makes it worse. If it is rubbing its not going to get any better by basically saying grin and bear it
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

)de: to the orthodontist saying there's nothing they can do!

The salt will help fight infection, but maybe instead of putting directly on the ulcer could dissolve some in warm water and gargle with it?
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

Vitamin C - the 500mg flavoured chewable tablets, allowed to dissolve over the ulcer, will help it heal, though like the salt it will sting a bit at first. But at least it will taste pleasant for her.
Failing that, Dr can prescribe small hydrocortisone pellets that will def help.
SouthernDave

Post by SouthernDave »

Try Corsodyl Mouthwash twice or three times a day. Its made for sore mouths, post-dental operations and infections. Tastes 'orrible but it works.

I visit the dentist irregularly (naughty I know!), as I hate them BUT I clean my teeth at least two, sometimes three, times a day and I mouthwash (Listerine) twice a day every day. For my age my dentist cannot beleive the good condition of my teeth despite infrequent visits and I put it down to the mouthwash, I swear by it.

Hope she feels better anyway.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Yes Corsodyl is great for sore mouths and is used after operations. There's a mint flavoured one too that isn't that bad (or maybe I've got strange tastebuds).

Just be mindful not to use it long term though as it can sometimes erode the enamel )t' :-D
Bev x

rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

Corsodyl can also stain the teeth quite badly, and you can't get the staining off yourself but have to visit a hygienist.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Thanks for the advice everyone )t'

We have persevered with the iglu stuff and it is now beginning to work. I even managed to get her to bathe it in salt water last night (I did have to get quite cross as she was being a total wus :oops: ) and it does seem a little smaller and not quite so angry looking :-D

She's off today for a sleepover with a friend and as she can't do the iglu on her own I popped into our local chemist for some more bonjela as this is easier for her to do. They have changed it and it is now for aged 16 and over! When did that happen - we've been using it for years with no problem. Anyway, they wouldn't sell me any as I'd already told them it was for her so ended up with Rinstead gel for the next couple of days.

She's off to the dentist next week to have two teeth removed in preparation for the fixed braces in September so I can ask him if he can recommend anything else for the future - he's lovely, unlike the orthodontist who's a bit of a patronising idiot }hairout{
Lucy x

Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

They do change things don't they. I put Bongela on our kids gums when they were teething. Perhaps they've got a junior Bongela out.