Inspirations of Age

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Inspirations of Age

Post by Richard »

Have you a neighbour, relative or friend who inspires you through the things they do at their age - maybe one of the secrets to living longer?

This is neighbour John, lost his wife 16 years ago, lives alone, had two Strokes, the latest one 18 month's ago, he's been in Hospital twice this year - but every morning he's up at dawn to look after his quarter of an acre garden.

This was just now, he's strimming down the nettles today !

[center]Image[/center]

He grows enormous amounts of vegetables, most of which he gives away to family, kind of olde worlde duty I guess.
In winter he chain saws the wood for his Rayburn and almost daily phones me up to say "Old Foxies on the way round Richard"!

Also of course, he walks to the Co-Op almost every day to get his needs, but that's only a mile and a half each way!

He's 83 this year, one of those people who will stop when he wants to and not when someone says he should.

Maybe he's lucky and some are not, but for me, an inspiration.

Richard

PS. and what's more, he's one of the few remaining people with a true Kentish accent!!

Do you know someone like this?
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Inspirations of Age

Post by Mo »

We had someone at our dance club. One of the 'old school'. Danced every dance every week till the age of 92. Held the club's summer and Christmas parties at her house; we also went there for the Guides garden fetes. She was involved in guiding at a county level.
She slowed down a bit after 92, due to leg ulcers and then failing memory. But still came and did what she could.
Didn't quite make it to the Queen's telegram.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Plenty more about her exploits in the Warrington Guardian
At age 92 she and a young microlight pilot (only 68) regained the title for the oldest couple to fly a microlight
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Brilliant Mo, living life to the fullest possible amount.

)t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

My mother in law inspires me!!! {hug} !!She is 86 this year and is two weeks away from a cruise round the azores!!!!She was widowed when hubbs was 15 so a good few years ago now and keeps up with modern technology and does all her banking online.,and untill a couple of years ago played tennis 3 times a week!!!!!She puts me to shame )sh
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
lizziedoggarden
Legendary Laner

Post by lizziedoggarden »

My Auntie Jean turned 92 this year and until 3 years ago she was cutting her lawn :shock:
She was widowed over 20 years ago but never had kids..maybe that's why she's still going strong {rofwl}
She is starting to be a bit "forgetful" now but otherwise is strong as an ox.

Also, never had a days illness {hug}
Don't dream it, BE it....

Am looking forward to welcoming Sunny Clucker to Woodbridge Suffolk!!!!!
4 french hens
Longlasting Laner

Post by 4 french hens »

Dear Mum,
I wish you well, but buying and selling houses at 86 and moving 100 miles away from the area where you've lived for 26 years? yike* :? )t' )b(

Oh well, they say life is just one big adventure for which you cannot do a practice run.

Mike
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
Mallard
Legendary Laner

Post by Mallard »

Think I've mentioned our Walter on the plots before, he's ninety-one next week, still gets to his plot most days, when he's not jetting off to Tokyo or Vienna on his own to visit his son.
He was in the D-Day landings and fought his way to Germany. His memory shows no sign of faltering, he likes to sit and chat on all subjects, looks after several bee hives, smokes a pipe, enjoys whisky, goes beating for shooters when he's not shooting himself, and still cycles!
He's had two wives, and now is often seen with a lady thirty years his junior!

I hope it's the plots that do it! )grin2(
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money.
- Pablo Picasso
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Get in there Mal )t'
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

At my writing group this week one of the members said she'd been up at 6 that morning to go swimming. Then she read a piece about her life, starting with "I was born in 1917...."

)t' to all those who refuse to follow the "norm" for older people.
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

Richard wrote:Have you a neighbour, relative or friend who inspires you through the things they do at their age - maybe one of the secrets to living longer?

This is neighbour John, lost his wife 16 years ago, lives alone, had two Strokes, the latest one 18 month's ago, he's been in Hospital twice this year - but every morning he's up at dawn to look after his quarter of an acre garden.

He grows enormous amounts of vegetables, most of which he gives away to family, kind of olde worlde duty I guess.
In winter he chain saws the wood for his Rayburn and almost daily phones me up to say "Old Foxies on the way round Richard"!

Also of course, he walks to the Co-Op almost every day to get his needs, but that's only a mile and a half each way!

He's 83 this year, one of those people who will stop when he wants to and not when someone says he should.

Maybe he's lucky and some are not, but for me, an inspiration.

Richard

PS. and what's more, he's one of the few remaining people with a true Kentish accent!!

Do you know someone like this?

John is quite an inspiration! I truly admire such people. Makes me ashamed when I let myself feel down and sluggish, to see someone like this who is so positive! Thanks for sharing this, Richard.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I had some customers a couple of weeks back saying their 91 year old Mum had just gone into a home as she had broken her hip. {cry}

Belly dancing. :shock:

Wonderful to still be doing that at 91 huh? )c(
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com