Overweight Kids - a serious problem

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Overweight Kids - a serious problem

Post by Richard »

I was listening to Radio Kent this morning and was amazed to hear that they've done a very intense survey of Children in Dartford.

A slight touch under 40% are overweight, one in 16 are classified obese.

It's said that they will have a less life expectancy than their parents. This in an age where one in seven born will, subject to leading a reasonably healthy life, live to over 100 years old is quite alarming isn't it.

Much of it must be down to social trends and changes in lifestyles.

But, 40% - shocked me!

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Re: Overweight Children - a serious problem

Post by ChrisG »

Type 2 diabetes is becoming epidemic amongst ten year olds - it used to be a disease one onyl contracted after 40! There is too much easy access to junk food and TV dinners loaded with fat and calories but little nutrition; too much taking the children to McD's for a 'treat' (here's a dose of heart attack; arent I a good mum/dad?); far too much sitting around doing nothing or playing with the play station - and as for Wii, it seems to give the impression you can get all the exercise you need while sitting at a computer! When we were kids, we were outside all the time, playing and running about - and we didnt break things and smash up people's belongings for 'fun' either!
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: Overweight Kids - a serious problem

Post by Benny&Co »

It is shocking isn't it and has been a huge problem for many years... you may have seen the 'Change for Life' campaign - a Department of Health scheme to try and reduce obesity, especially in children.

I agree with Ruth, children nowadays don't seem to play out like we did and it has a huge knock on effect.. that and lack of awareness about healthy eating from the parents point of view.

I had a patient once, an eight year old who weighed 60kg!!!! yike* When you talk about diet, it's fast food, kebabs, crisps, snacks... say no more {warn}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

People often dont know how to cook and those that do, dont have time because they are at work all the time.
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

It's strange how, in some cases, both Parents will work to get more money, then give it to their Kids to go and eat down town!

It's a tough one, but it would seem that in most cases it is Parent neglect and the lack of will to keep things in check.

With the extra cost put on to the NHS., I'd have thought there's room for more to be spent on education - mainly to the parents?

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

I think some parents feel guilty at not being there for their children - especially those whose own parents were at home (not trying to put a guilt trip on anyone here; I know often both parents have to work). To compensate, they give them 'things' and money and treats and as you send, send them down town to get their own food and entertainment. Left to themselves like that, it's not really surprising that we have a generation of overweight children who are little better than feral.
Chris xx

Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Oh I've seen that so many times, parents who over compensate for lack of love/time.

One example, not your average every day parents mind who work hard to make ends meet....... had a patient who was sent off to boarding school, whilst each parent lived on different continents. The child was festooned with gifts that weren't needed. But you could clearly see child vying for attention from parents {cry}

All they need is love, time and a half decent diet of course! )t'
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

It has been quite readily reported over the past few years, we have even had Jamie and his better food for schools campaign highlighting the problem. When I was at school, school-dinners weren’t particularly appetising but were relatively healthy and certainly balanced; plenty of overcooked cabbage etc. As I was leaving secondary schooling the rules changed and suddenly there was burger and chips on the menu. The kebab shop in our local shops is always full with over-weight kids between four and six each evening; I found it quite shocking when the proprietor asked one young chap if he was having the usual, just how often did the kid have to visit the shop to have a ‘usual’? Before the food fascists have a dig at me we do very occasionally indulge in a kebab but it is very infrequently, June has a lamb shish and I have a burger with chilli sauce.
There are other things to factor in, as mentioned kids these days are more likely to spend their time electronic gaming rather than kicking a ball about and there are more and more parents driving their kids half a mile to and from school whereas I used to cycle everywhere.
I think laziness is also to blame, in our local sadsa the freezer aisles are packed with ready meals, processed junk, as has been discussed DTL before why is there a need for product such as frozen baked potatoes with cheese (ready after 5 mins in a microwave oven).
Lastly there is the unwillingness of some people to even try to feed their children a healthy diet. I have posted this story before so please forgive me, a while back in a sadsa an oversized lady explained to her daughter that she didn’t have the time to prepare fresh carrots so she wasn’t buying them, she then explained that she couldn’t afford to buy the pre-chopped version because they were too expensive. On the way out I saw her stood at the back of a huge queue for the cigarette counter; she obviously had plenty of time and money to indulge her nicotine habit.
Bah Humbug
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

It isnt just the options on the menu at school either - the children can choose what to eat - baked potatoes may be on the menu, but if there's chips available, they will have those every time. Not to mention they dont actually have to stay in the school grounds at lunchtime any more, so they spend their money in the chip shop or sweet shop, eating whatever takes their fancy.
Chris xx

Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

I think it all does come back to education. However, health professionals can educate and inform till we're blue in the face and if parents have that particular mind set, you'll never change opinion.
Bev x

Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

saint-spoon wrote:It has been quite readily reported over the past few years, we have even had Jamie and his better food for schools campaign highlighting the problem. When I was at school, school-dinners weren’t particularly appetising but were relatively healthy and certainly balanced; plenty of overcooked cabbage etc. As I was leaving secondary schooling the rules changed and suddenly there was burger and chips on the menu. The kebab shop in our local shops is always full with over-weight kids between four and six each evening; I found it quite shocking when the proprietor asked one young chap if he was having the usual, just how often did the kid have to visit the shop to have a ‘usual’? Before the food fascists have a dig at me we do very occasionally indulge in a kebab but it is very infrequently, June has a lamb shish and I have a burger with chilli sauce.
There are other things to factor in, as mentioned kids these days are more likely to spend their time electronic gaming rather than kicking a ball about and there are more and more parents driving their kids half a mile to and from school whereas I used to cycle everywhere.
I think laziness is also to blame, in our local sadsa the freezer aisles are packed with ready meals, processed junk, as has been discussed DTL before why is there a need for product such as frozen baked potatoes with cheese (ready after 5 mins in a microwave oven).
Lastly there is the unwillingness of some people to even try to feed their children a healthy diet. I have posted this story before so please forgive me, a while back in a sadsa an oversized lady explained to her daughter that she didn’t have the time to prepare fresh carrots so she wasn’t buying them, she then explained that she couldn’t afford to buy the pre-chopped version because they were too expensive. On the way out I saw her stood at the back of a huge queue for the cigarette counter; she obviously had plenty of time and money to indulge her nicotine habit.

Oh yes MrS, when I worked in the community, I lost count the number of times when we'd get phone calls on a Friday afternoon - parents who had apparently run out of money and had nothing for food/supplies for their children...... they had finances to fund drug/smoking habits/huge televisions/christmas decorations though.

As for the carrots, I think it takes no less time to open a packet than peeling a carrot - it's all about mentality isn't it.
Bev x

ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

I dont peel ours - just top and tail and wash then chop or slice. 10 mins in water on hob; done.
Chris xx

Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Yes I sometimes do that too Ruth, just give them a scrape or a scrub and roast them or whatever I'm doing )t' )eat(
Bev x

menace
Learner Laner

Post by menace »

saint-spoon wrote:

Society is becoming Lazy, but also there is the factor of child safety against adults to consider. but I do not under stand the mothers that drive such a short distance to drop there children at school when they could simply walk. Most adults are becoming lazy and overweight and this is where the problem starts as this problem rubs of on their children. There is no problem with with kids using electronic consoles etc but parents should maybe limit the time spent on these consoles. Ive always given mine an hour a day and encouraged them to get out and get some uv and some fresh air. trampolines are a great idea, lol.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I agree with all that has been said before me. One cause, no exercise either at school or home. Gone are the days of regular PE and games.
Another cause, parents buying ready meals and kids being able to choose what they want from the freezer.
Lastly schools no longer teach proper cooking. On asking around at children that do cook at school, I hear that it isn't done from scratch as used to be done. One little girl near me who does do cookery, had a list of things to take for making cup cakes. On the list was a packet of cake mix. )dwn: Unbelievable!!
I'm sure half the mums today just can't cook a wholesome meal. Yes lots of mums do work, but cooking doesn't always have to be time consuming and there is such a thing a batch cooking which can be put in the freezer.
Having children is a great responsibility and for the parents alone. A good diet and good lifestile should be top of their list.
I see the results of indifference within my own family. My daughter who is a nurse and nursing instructor, always let her children take what they wanted from the freezer. This was then popped in the microwave as and when they wanted to eat. All 4 are overweight adults. 2 of them obese. The sad thing is my daughter is a brilliant cook when she wants to be and does a lot of entertaining.
My son who believes in an organic lifestyle, grows his own veg etc. has a daughter who helps cook the meals or prepare salad. Meals are always eaten as a family. I might add that he is a very busy man both at work and with his animals on his smallholding, but a proper meal is always cooked by him or his wife, who also works and has horses to look after in her spare time.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.