weak knee'ed

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

weak knee'ed

Post by ChrisG »

I am thinking of taking up running to get fitter and have found a really gentle starting programme, which builds up from walking to running 5k in about 7 or 8 months. The thing is, my knees are not what they used to be. I cant get up from crouching down without something to lean on, as my thighs and knees just dont seem to be able to lift the weight of my body (and I'm not that much overweight - about 3/4 - 1stone).

So three questions:
Does anyone know some knee strengthening exercises?
Should I strengthen the knees first before attempting the running programme?
How can I best protect my knees or will the running itself actually improve things?

Should explain - it isnt sprinting but gentle jogging that I am aiming for.
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
wendy

Re: weak knee'ed

Post by wendy »

I am not a runner Ruth.
But to be honest is you have knee problems. I, personally, wouldn't think running was the thing to do. It really gives the knees what for.
What about a different type of exercise ? Say cycling ?
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

You could try squats. Stand with your back to the wall and slide down then up. Start just going a little way and gradually build. Will strengthen the thigh muscles.
You can also buy knee supports from sports shops like these
http://www.return2fitness.co.uk/Support ... e_Supports" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Get your knees checked out Ruth.I have got to have replacements and thats how mine started, plus not being able to kneel. If you have a problem running is not a good thing. Get them checked.
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Agreed
LittleBrownFrog

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

I agree - I would get the knees checked first, and take advice from your gp/physio/whoever about whether to run.
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

Thanks guys. Will check it out with a sports doc (GPs are far too keen to tell people NOT to do things that MIGHT cause stresses to the body).
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Jogging is really tough on the knees Ruth!.. power walking has the same benefits with a much lower impact on your joints. )t'
lizziedoggarden
Legendary Laner

Post by lizziedoggarden »

I would advise against running Ruth, running/jogging is not good for the knees anyway, I only very rarely run but like Jannie said, power walking would be much better.
When you do start it'd be a good idea to wear some of the material supports, they will help protect your knees :-D
Don't dream it, BE it....

Am looking forward to welcoming Sunny Clucker to Woodbridge Suffolk!!!!!
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

Ruth have you thought about walking with poles?They are supposed to give a more complete body workout if you get the technique right )t' Since tearing the cruciate ligaments in my right knee while sking(on the chair lift actually :oops: ) I was advised against jogging and told walking was as good if you do it right )t'
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

The kind of hiking I do, poles just get in the way and I find them very frustrating. Where do you put them for instance when you are climbing over a stile? Grr!
Chris xx

Oheckitseck

Post by Oheckitseck »

RuthG wrote:The kind of hiking I do, poles just get in the way and I find them very frustrating. Where do you put them for instance when you are climbing over a stile? Grr!

yike* )de: yike*
lizziedoggarden
Legendary Laner

Post by lizziedoggarden »

One way you could give your walking a bit more oomph is to wear light ankle weights, such as half a pound kind of weight..can't see how that would affect your knees and another thing to burn more calories is to wear wrist weights so and purposefully stride your arms when you walk? :-D
Don't dream it, BE it....

Am looking forward to welcoming Sunny Clucker to Woodbridge Suffolk!!!!!
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

I am currently undergoing physiotherapy for my knees (25 years of climbing up and down ladders on ships). Running is a big NO-NO if your knees are playing up, you need low impact exercise. I am allowed to use the exercise bike, rowing machine and cross trainer; they all give a good workout but are classed as being low impact on the knees. I have a number of leg exercises that I have to do three times a week as well, squats against the ball (although I use an exercise ball between my back and the wall) features amongst them. Very important is stretching the muscles out afterwards; impossible to explain how to do it but it is important as it stops your legs from getting all stiff.
Can you swim? If you can it is fantastic for an all over body workout and won’t hurt your knees.
Bah Humbug
FRUGAL MASTER
Lively Laner

Post by FRUGAL MASTER »

I run ! :oops:
and also my wife has just started too ! She just completed her first 5k London run around Hyde park ...
Yes for sure speak to a Doctor first and if still determined to carry on , build up your pace gradually over a period of time. Also I would suggest maybe join a gym
and use a tread mill with an instructer too help you...The tread mill will help take the thud out of running on pavement which would impact the knee.
Also make sure you buy decent running shoes to support your feet, knees etc.
I know a gym costs money , but just do it till you,ve built up your strenght...
Then run on grass maybe to help with the impact....
but please consult an expert/doctor before taking any exercise... as you might have an excisting problem with your knees....
this of course is just my opinion.....