Tennis Elbow

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Stig
Lively Laner

Tennis Elbow

Post by Stig »

I've had trouble with my right arm for about 6 months now &, joy, apparently I have tennis elbow.

Having been nowhere near a tennis raquet, or done much of anything strenuous, this seems somewhat unfair.

But I have been clicking a mouse for 8 hours a day for 27 years and I wonder if that's the root cause. But it is surprisingly painful and my grip, particularly on wide things like a tins of paint etc, is severely weakened.

Any other TE sufferers? I'm taking ibuprofen and doctor has recommended I buy a support to strap it up with. Is there anything else I can do?
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: Tennis Elbow

Post by Totally Scrambled »

I use a mouse at work lots too and find I get twinges if I use the same position all the time.
I alternate between resting my forearm on the chair arm adjusted to the same height as the desk, having my arm clear of anything to use the mouse and mousing while standing up. This seems to break up making the same repetitive movements while in the same position and reduces the the times my arm hurts )t'
Dom
Ali Woks My World
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

Hubbs suffered from this when he was servicing fork lifts!!!He was told to use ibuprofen gels instead of tablets because over a period of time they can cause stomach pains......!
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

AKA ulcers.
manda

Post by manda »

Acupuncture...I had teatments over a course of a couple of months and it sorted it out.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Nefertari
Longlasting Laner

Post by Nefertari »

I've had mine for about 2 years now. Mine was caused by digging my new lottie. The place was like a jungle and the ground was hard. but I wanted it all dug over quickly to get crops in that year and so dug and bashed, dug and bashed ( the hard clods of earth

I had ultrasound on it to no use, the physo-terrorist also put sticking plaster on. Sounds daft but the idea is to pull the muscle away from the inflamed tendons. I also had several sessions of acupuncture but that didn't help either.

I probably was my own worst enemy because i didn't rest it, quite the reverse, I renovated a house, so lots of stripping, bashing, hammering etc.

The physio recommended a Nexcare Elbow. Its a strap you put on and like the plaster, pulls the muscle away from the tendon. If I'm doing something like digging or tile bashing off etc, then I will put it on as it does help (when I remember to anyway). they are not very expensive, bought mine on line but you might find them in B00ts etc

Left on its own, it will eventually heal itself so they tell me.
It'll be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end.
manda

Post by manda »

I also had several sessions of acupuncture but that didn't help either.

I think in the end I had about 30 but it was paid for by the hospital so I wasn't too worried - would be a different matter if I'd had to pay myself I think :?
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

Hi Stig, I developed this in April after using secateurs continually for a few days. I didn't go to doc, as I knew I would just get painkillers. It was so bad I couldn't even pick up a cup of tea for over a month.

Anyway, I did some internet research, and found a couple of pieces on u- tube. The one that made most sense was this one,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3GoDQ9ylZY&feature=related

and I've been doing the strengthening exercises, in conjunction with stretching and it is hugely improved. Some days I have no pain at all, most days just a little niggle and the only thing I still am not comfortable with is picking up my big cast iron frying pan.

This one is on similar lines. He's invented a gismo that looks good, but checking the reviews most peeps think the straps are too small and the build not robust enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dqAAveeCmM
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
Stig
Lively Laner

Post by Stig »

Thanks for all the advice - clearly it's a fairly common complaint. I'm on the lookout for a support strap this weekend. I'm wearing a tubigrip today which I think is helping but also cutting off the circulation to my hand!
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

I believe the straps relieve the symptoms, but this doesn't address the underlying cause.

But knowing how excruciating it can be, >gl<
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
wendy

Post by wendy »

Have to agree with Manda about the acupuncture thing. It builds up in the system so a couple just isn't enough.
I have had it for arthritis in my hands for 11 years. I started with it every week, then two weeks etc etc. now I go every 8 weeks for a 'top up'.
When I had trigeminal neuralgia, I was told I would never be free of it. I have to say I think the lifestyle change and acupuncture got rid of it. As other than an operation on the brain or severing the facial muscles there isn't a lot health professionals can do.
It really is a good alternative medicine.Worth thinking about, Stig, if it is persistant.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Nefertari
Longlasting Laner

Post by Nefertari »

Stig wrote:Thanks for all the advice - clearly it's a fairly common complaint. I'm on the lookout for a support strap this weekend. I'm wearing a tubigrip today which I think is helping but also cutting off the circulation to my hand!

I made the mistake of wearing a tubigrip at first, thinking it would support it. It kind of does support it, but what's needed is to lift the muscle off the inflamed tendon, so these Nexcare things are about 2" wide i suppose.
It'll be alright in the end, if it's not alright then it's not the end.
Orfy
Legendary Laner

Post by Orfy »

All I can suggest is ensure your are in properly supported by having enough desk space when using the mouse and possibly making sure you have an ergonomically designed mouse.
Your health and safety rep/manager should have done a risk assessment on you using the mouse (I'm not joking about this)
Allotment http://taylorsplot.blogspot.com/
Orfy Blog (Food'n'Stuff) http://orfy.blogspot.com/
1xMaran 1xRIR 6xWarrens 2xMuts
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I suffer with Tennis Elbow. The Doctor gave me two jabs which did nothing, then I was lucky enough to have the England Cricket Physio at Canterbury one day and he gave me a jab and it was literally cleared up in about 2 hours.

You could tell the difference of a person knowing exactly where to go though.

Best way if you go to the Doc's is to ask if you can have the jab alongside a Scan.

When it comes up again, I wear a band just below the elblow - helps a great deal.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome