Memory Foam Mattress's and Toppers

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Memory Foam Mattress's and Toppers

Post by Richard »

I've been noticing my somewhat basic mattress has got a bit lumpy and twangy of late, I've been waking up (mainly for my constitutional) through the night and waking in the morning with a few aches and pains above the normal one's.

Anyways, I looked at a new mattress and way over my price limits, so thought I'd try a Memory Foam Topper, went to Argos and got their own brand single bed with free pillow (£29.95).
Have to say I was worried about it being a waste of time, but oh dear, what an improvement; no more bumpy bits and so comfortable; the pillow is really good as well, you're not faffing around for the best head position etc.

Four night's, not even a constitutional plus waking up and actually feeling like I could lay there for longer.

So just a thought for those who may have been thinking like me up to last week !

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
wendy

Re: Memory Foam Mattress's and Toppers

Post by wendy »

We have a topper and wouldn't be without it. Just brilliant.
My sister had a really bad back with a problem with the cartiledge between her vertebrae. In the end she had to have an operation, but we bought her one and she said it made such a difference . Yep they are good all round.
We do find they can get a bit hot in the real summer, but just sleep without any covers on those occassions.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

I suffer with my back, and tried one of these, but unfortunately i couldn't cope with the rise in temperature i had to get up most nights and walk/roll on the cold tiles in the kitchen. >coc<

Glad its worked for you Richard )app(
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

Not soo good for us ladies of a certain age then {cry}
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

We have recently put an old duvet under the bottom sheet as a mattress topper. Works a treat and cost us nothing. Keeps the bed cosy and warm too.
Last edited by ChrisG on 24 Oct 2011, 09:53, edited 1 time in total.
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

Glad it's worked for you Richard )t'

We have a foam mattress with a memory foam layer built in on top and I have to say I'm finding it more and more uncomfortable as time goes on (I think we may have had it a couple of years.) I can't change it as we spent a lot on it, but really dread going to bed nowadays. {cry}

Maybe a "proper" sprung mattress with a topper would have been better.
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

I'm going to get one of these for my arthritis, my back's been a real pain at the moment and I just feel so achy on a morning, I only get up cause I want to see my lovely chook's faces.
I was just going to get a topper, but I think I'm going to get a small double bed as I have such fits in the night I keep bruising myself on the cupboard or the wall >dum< so I think a small double memory foam mattress will be a better idea.
Glad it's worked for you, Richard )t'
Richard

Post by Richard »

That's the thing really Sunny, the mattress's are just so expensive and it seems by looking at images, that a Memory Foam Mattress is basically a normal mattress with a memory foam topper built into it.

I do find it warm, so guess I brought it at the right time of the year maybe.

Richard )t'

Lisa - Maybe try just one at first, the one I have is only 2.5cms thick but does the job. )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
wendy

Post by wendy »

We did try the full mattress to start with and they give you so many days to try. Both of us hated it.
We went back to an ordinary mattess with the topper just great.
A duvet does make a differece Ruth. But they are nothing compared to the toppers.
I would, personally, go for a topper Lisa.

kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

How does this topper fit onto the mattress Richard? I've tried various quilted
protectors & toppers but they have always ended up twanging off the mattress
& getting scrunched up under the sheets. I've thought about getting a m/foam
topper but afraid it would do the same thing.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
wendy

Post by wendy »

They are sooooo heavy.
You don't need to attach them to the bed. They stay put.

Richard

Post by Richard »

Hi,

Mine has four elastic ties at each corner which just go under the mattress, but as Wendy says, you'd be surprised at the weight of them.

Ruth - I put a summer duvet on the mattress last year and it helped with warmth but not with aches plus I got too hot. The Physio said it wasn't doing me any good as it was too soft. But everyone to their own. )t'

Richard
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

You can get extra deep sheets to go over mattress and topper )t'

Or you can use a normal sheet on the topper and another on the mattress.

Or toppers we tried had ties on to anchor onto the corners too!
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

We took the plunge four years ago and treated ourselves to a 22cm Tempur mattress with superking bed. Got the Tempur pillows as well. Have never looked back :-D

It's so comfy that if we go away anywhere we often have difficulties with the bed/pillows etc.
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
perchy

Post by perchy »

The topper is a blessing, makes a big difference, and springs back in the morning unlike the duvet, have tried that too, would go for the topper everytime )t'