The BBC - the Bad Back Club!

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

The BBC - the Bad Back Club!

Post by Benny&Co »

Thank you Eck for the title, just thought I'd start a thread so we could share and comiserate on our aches and pains and maybe share tips and advice too :-D

Here's what I've gone and done......

Time: 3 weeks ago.

How: During a kettlebell class at the gym, where you swing a weight of 5kg around. Just thought I'd try something a bit different... >coc<

I've done yoga for many years, so I guess I'm quite flexible and I've been exercising regularly until this injury, so I don't think I'm really unfit.

Pain: started off constant lower back pain, across left and right. Now it's in the left with occasional extremely painful episodes that make you go 'ouch'.

Diagnosis: a particularly nasty facet joint injury to L5/S1 spine with possible disc bulge as well. Muscles on the right and left to that had gone into spasm {cry}

Treatment: I'm generally really afraid of physio/chiro/osteo and all that but plucked up courage with much encouragement from my Hubbly to see our physio (private).

She's been treating it with massage, movement, I guess manipulation (although it didn't feel as horrible as it sounds) and ultrasound too.

I've also been taking paracetamol and codiene, with diclofenac gel - being asthmatic I can't really take oral ibuprofen or diclofenac. At first this would numb the pain a bit and it'd come back.

I'm now trying to just take a small dose of paracetamol and codiene just at night because of the constipating effects.

What's next? I'm seeing my physio again tomorrow and also my doc too. Having just started a new job this week and I'm doing induction, I've been sat down a lot - I think that in some ways has made it worse. I keep getting up and moving, they've also got me a special chair, so we'll have to see how it goes.

Will let you know what happens tomorrow :-D
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
manda

Re: The BBC - the Bad Back Club!

Post by manda »

Well this is rather apt for me at the moment ...
I have had Sciatica ..had a few days off work sick because I had the usual pain associated with Sciatica...I was hobbling around whilst Raven was here ...then went into work for a study day which ended up in us sitting for around 8 hours on the most uncomfortable chairs the DHB (district health board) could find!!

On annual leave now...a couple of days ago I went out into the pig paddock yesterday nothing energetic ...got the hose pipe to fill their wallow up and promptly fell over in the middle of the paddock...got a grazed knee {cry}
Today needed to pop and get something for Toby's birthday cake (tomorrow) - he drove as I was a bit achey....walking across the car park (it was wet) I fell over!!!!! So I now have another graze on the same knee...twisted my back and now my shoulder hurts!!! Toby asked if my pride was hurt...WHAT PRIDE!!!! I left that lying on ground in the car park :shock:
I'm not going out any more I'm scared what else I will do to myself :b(
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Oh no, poor you Manda {cry}

Hope you're okay and feeling a bit better.

Think you need to wrap up in some cotton wool {hug}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Little update on my back.

Saw physio lady on Saturday and my 'p....' (can't remember the exact name of it but it's down lower back) muscle is still in spasm so she did a lot of work on that.

She's now pretty sure it's not a disc herniation/bulge - thank goodness.

It's still painful but when I reflect back three weeks it's not half as bad as it was. Still getting that really ooochworthy pain every now and then as well {cry}

Ho hum {cry}
Bev x

manda

Post by manda »

Petit's perhaps ? Good news it's looking like it's not a disc... but still painful in the here and now nonetheless!

As for me...{rofwl} ..well I've managed to get through the weekend without maiming myself any further so that's a positive. Still a bit achey but not too bad just taking it easy just in case as I'm back to work on Wednesday night )grin2( Still been doing my exercises my physio friend gave me and they seem to be doing the trick so onward and upwards
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

Glad to hear you both are inproving )t'

Manda i too have to look after my back and a lot of the time i don't do stuff as i know it will agrivate my back and stop me working. it make me feel }hairout{
Today it's sore, because i was in our woods snipping brambles and fire supervising, also did some weeding and didn't stick to my one trug rule. i.e do just one trug load of weeding then stop, otherwise my back plays up. I must learn!!
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
wendy

Post by wendy »

Ooo we joined this last week.
My back is so weary and hurts getting in and out of the chairs. I am afraid I did damage it years ago when my first husband was ill.
Oh is having similar problems but his is sitting as well.
He damaged his back when on duty about 30 years ago, in fact he broke it. But didn't realise until a few years ago when he had a body scan.

What I have realised today, is we stopped taking glucosamine and chondroitin in the summer. As the papers said they were useless.
I wonder if that is the reason ?. Anyhoo I have sent off for some more and we will see what happens >fi<
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

As you probably know Eck is a little bit shy +pinn+ so he won't be giving you his latest update ................................................but I will !
More digging out of the old woodchips this weekend (which is what caused him to get a bad back in the 1st place) but he was a bit more careful going about it so he hasn't given himself a repercussion of the bad back but he is thining of starting another club , this time its the SBC - sore bum club - just how do you get backache i n your buttocks ?
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

OOoch, sending all of you big {hug} {hug}

Manda, glad you've not had any more injuries I think you've had enough! Good you've got a nice physio friend who's given you exercises )t'

Bolly, know what you mean - we all do too much at times don't we, even though we know that we shouldn't.

Wendy, golly gee that must've been scary when Mr Wendy found out he'd broke his back. Will be interesting to hear how you get on with the glucosamine and chondroitin when you start taking it again.

As for me, I checked the letter from my physio and it's the piriformis muscle that's affected the most, though initially muscles on the left and right upto the middle were in spasm. Been sat down in a chair today (induction training) and whilst I try and move about a bit the top of my thigh is really achey. Good new is the back is feeling a lot better >fi< let's hoping it's on the way to recovery.
Last edited by Benny&Co on 07 Nov 2011, 19:11, edited 1 time in total.
Bev x

Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Annie wrote:As you probably know Eck is a little bit shy +pinn+ so he won't be giving you his latest update ................................................but I will !
More digging out of the old woodchips this weekend (which is what caused him to get a bad back in the 1st place) but he was a bit more careful going about it so he hasn't given himself a repercussion of the bad back but he is thining of starting another club , this time its the SBC - sore bum club - just how do you get backache i n your buttocks ?

Awwww poor Eck all shy +pinn+ {rofwl}

Tell him I'll join his SBC too - if you look where the piriformis muscle is (the one that's given me the most aggro) you'll see why {rofwl}
Bev x

lizziedoggarden
Legendary Laner

Post by lizziedoggarden »

Glad you are feeling a little better..am sorry to hear others are struggling with their backs. {hug}

I have to exercise or my back seizes up..I have to keep active. When I was in hospital for that week a while back, my back pain was awful. Mine is caused through bad lifting when I was a carer years ago :?
Don't dream it, BE it....

Am looking forward to welcoming Sunny Clucker to Woodbridge Suffolk!!!!!
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

Benny I just get up and stretch in induction/ lectures, then smile and say sorry but i have a bad back :-D
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
Oheckitseck

Post by Oheckitseck »

Well thanks for sharing my little secret ache with everyone Annie ( I think Annie kicks me during the night yike* and that's why my bum is sore !!!)
I have had a lot of trouble with my upper back and neck off and on for years. I used to play a lot of badminton and when I was in my mid 20s I injured my neck ( I think they called it Torticollis (I don't know if thats the correct spelling ) Anyway it has always been a recurring problem for me and if it gets really bad the my arms seize up too. So it feels strange having pains in my lower back,cheeks :oops: and thighs as I am more used to it being higher up. Maybe we should call this " A Shoulder To Cry On Club " as it looks as if there are quite a few of Laners who are in need of MEGA-TLC. All I know is when the pain reappears it can leave you so miserable.
Manda ,every time I hear someone talk about Sciatica I think back to watching my Dad doubled up in agony through that. So you have my every sympathy {hug}
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

wendy wrote:What I have realised today, is we stopped taking glucosamine and chondroitin in the summer. As the papers said they were useless.

I have been taking it for my bad knee, and twice have stopped taking it - each time the knee got considerably worse.

The Mayo Clinic says: Available evidence from randomized controlled trials supports the use of glucosamine sulfate in the treatment of osteoarthritis, particularly of the knee.
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

I take it all the time. i asked my consultant if it was OK to take as well as taking painkillers and he was OK with it. Like Sunny B I stopped and it got worse.