Routine health checks?

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Routine health checks?

Post by Sunny B »

Having read the other day about someone who discovered a potentially fatal condition when called in for a routine check at age 60 I asked at my surgery this morning if they ever do health checks. the answer was no, unless you specifically ask for it.

Is this the same at everyone else's surgeries?

As I approach 50 I just thought it was odd that I never get my blood pressure checked unless I'm actually ill and I've never had a cholesterol test. >coc<
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
wendy

Re: Routine health checks?

Post by wendy »

Our Dr's never did until we got to 60.
So perhaps they are all the same.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Sunny just do it - you will know then. )t'
baileysgnasha
Legendary Laner

Post by baileysgnasha »

Im only 27 so unlikely I would get called in for a health check! But no I havent been asked for one and I must say I think it shouldnt matter what age you are a routine health check might help keep on top of somethings but I guess its about management and funding it all as I would even if it was a check every 12mths it would soon add up!

Although that said some chemists now do free blood pressure checks, diabeties check and some other bits and bobs so I guess its all about asking whats available in your area.
Andrea- Sunny Clucker fan awaiting her arrival in Kettering,Northamptonshire.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

I would ask them Sunny )t'

Guess I'm fortunate (?) in that I'm kept an eye on because I'm asthmatic and on certain regular medications which means they have to make checks on things.

When I was working in the hospital wards I would check my BP, blood sugar, dipstick urine etc often more out of curiosity! (Bit mad like that!).
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

The Americans are way ahead of us on this one. Preventative checks dont seem to figure highly here unless there are specific risks (such as a relative with heart disease that they got before they were 50, or breast cancer in the family). I think everyone should have an annual check up, like a health MOT, where they check cholesterol, blood pressure, sugar, BMI (or waist-hip ratio), heart rate (on a treadmill would be good!) etc.
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
ock

Post by ock »

RuthG wrote:The Americans are way ahead of us on this one.

think that`s because they have to pay for it )t' , over here it would cost the NHS so much they would have to go without other things, go private and you`ll prob have checkups all the time )grin2(
[center]OCK LIKES TO PARTY !!!![/center]
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

But if they looked at the long term, catching disease earlier and preventing things developing would save millions!
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
ock

Post by ock »

very true, but if the monies not there it`s not there {cry}
[center]OCK LIKES TO PARTY !!!![/center]
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

Maths may not be my strong point and I'm being quite simplistic, but using small (silly) numbers, the NHS has £10 to spend on say heart disease. It costs £12 (more than they actually have) to do a by-pass etc on someone who has blocked arteries; but it only costs £4 to screen people in advance and give them guidance on avoiding invasive surgery, getting them on a proper diet and exercise regime. You can therefore treat 2.5 people for the original £10 and none of those 2.5 ends up having a bypass. Surely it makes more sense to spend the money on preventing the more expensive options?
Chris xx

wendy

Post by wendy »

Before the Dr's did it.
We used to have a check up at BUPA every few years or so. They were always having offers, so took them up on that. So did keep a check ourselves
Three years ago life scan had an offer and we took that up. OH found out he had broken his back about 30 + years ago yike*
If only we had known then when his back was 'bad'
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

RuthG wrote: it only costs £4 to screen people in advance and give them guidance on avoiding invasive surgery, getting them on a proper diet and exercise regime.

The maths is good Ruth but I doubt that it is that simplistic. I wonder how many people have died from smoking related diseases after being told to stop smoking, the same goes with alcohol. I know quite a few people who have not taken the doctor’s advice when told to lose weight. Unfortunately folk don’t listen. I doubt that everyone in the states gets screened because not everyone is willing to pay for it.
I have been checked on a regular basis because of my job, it is one of the perks; I never stopped smoking when I was repeatedly told (obviously I have seen sense since then).
I think that health checks are a good idea so long as folk follow the guidance and not everyone will believe everything they are told without thinking that they know better, especially when it means giving up the fast food in favour of a salad or walking the half mile to the shops rather than hopping in the car.
Bah Humbug
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

Unfortunately you are right - and I have no answer as to how to make people follow sound advice before it is too late (short of a dictator state, that is).

There is a woman lives near me who must weigh about 25st. I would love to 'sort her out' but I doubt she would listen. Another woman round the corner has trouble breathing and doesnt walk anywhere. I have a qualification in walking for health so when she asked, I gave her some advice on how to improve her walking and thus her health by walking (very small distances at first, building to greater ones later). She just looked dubious and has, as far as I know, ignored everything I said. Her choice I suppose, but her quality of life is so much reduced - and she not only knows it, she wants it to be different (as long as she doesnt have to put in any effort)

As to walking the half mile to the shops, someone on another thread mentioned she drives her OH to work 100 yards away from their house! +confused+ My own practise is to walk everywhere I can, so unless I have a lot to carry back, I often walk to the shops too - 3 miles down the road (and back).

Of course, that I suppose makes me one of the kind of people who do listen to Drs advice and who would like a health MOT, but probably dont need one! No idea what the answer is.
Chris xx