Depression

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
rubyhen
Lively Laner

Re: Depression

Post by rubyhen »

So glad things are on the up for you and your Mum. Take care and I hope you can find time to relax and recharge your batteries now.

Ruby {hug}
5 hens: Keira, Dot, Beryl, Kylie and Magda.
RIP: Ruby, Ginger, Tilly, Meg and Phyllis.
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Great to hear she's on the road to recovery. Remember to take time for yourself too {hug} {hug} to you and your mum
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Scooby88
Longlasting Laner

Post by Scooby88 »

Thank you, off to Wales today for a break. Im so looking forward to sitting in the warm, looking out onto the welsh mountains with a cuppa and a good book. Bliss )t'
rubyhen
Lively Laner

Post by rubyhen »

Oh I'm so glad you are going for a break. I bet it will look beautiful this time of year. Stay warm and enjoy a well earned rest.

Ruby {hug}
5 hens: Keira, Dot, Beryl, Kylie and Magda.
RIP: Ruby, Ginger, Tilly, Meg and Phyllis.
manda

Post by manda »

{hug} for you and {hug} for your Mum and Dad
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Oh Scoobs, so glad to hear your news and enjoy your lovely break in Wales. I'm sure it'll do you the power of good {hug} {hug}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

I have only just seen this thread as I keep forgetting to check all the rest of the forum and just saw it when I was posting about another health related problem.

I also suffer a lot from depression but have found over the years that I just have to put up with it as I either worry my OH if I tell him or if I tell my mum she just tells me "we all get depressed". I already take anti depressants and benzos as I suffer badly with anxiety and I think the depression is a result of long term use of benzos, but unfortunately there seems to be no support for benzo withdrawal and most GP's just sweep the problem under the carpet as they know they can't help you.

The one time I opened up to my GP he told me that if I was ever in a crisis to just phone him and he would talk to me. However when I did I was just told to make a routine appointment to see him, so I didn't bother.

I have gone down the route of getting CBT from the local Mental Health Team but they were only able to offer 6 sessions, which isn't really enough.
Lyn

Post by cakebaker »

Just been looking through the forums and saw this posting.
A few years ago I fell in to the deep dark hole of anxiety and depression. I will never forget the first month I was in a very bad place. However my GP was absolutely fantastic, along with my OH and close family. I was initially put on valium and sleeping tablets and felt extremely spaced out. Once I had seen the mental health team I was put on antidepressants and very, very slowly things gradually got better. Once I was feeling a bit more normal (what ever that is) I had CBT at my Drs surgery. This helped me look at my life in a different way. I am no longer on any meds, but often use the techniques learned at CBT. I find I have to take things easy, no rushing about and I hate crowds and busy roads. Life is more laid back, and I recommend Mindfulness meditation and yoga to help relax and refocus the mind .
I really feel for all those people who are struggling with depression and all mental health problems. It is essential to talk, although not everyone is listening.
All my best wishes to you and your family Scoobs and I hope you can get the help you need. {hug}
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

It is awful how many suffer from shades of depression !!!!I have a wonderful friend who lives in Ireland whos' 14 yr old son has just been admitted to a residential care unit to try and help him with his anxiety,depression and agraphobia.......14!!!!!!!
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I clicked on this thread as I also suffer from occasional bouts of depression. So glad to read that your Mum is on the mend Scoobs, and hope that the break in Wales has been good for you.

Diabetics are prone to this beastly illness, and with a history of serious family problems stretching back for many years, I endeavour to fight as long as I can. One of the problems seems to be that during a bad spell, the simplest of tasks seems to be enormous. For years I have woken up thinking "oh, no, today I have to do such and such, or go so and so".

Last year I took on an Avon round, the money earned (not much, and rather soul destroying), goes towards our council tax. I would love to jack it in, this winter has been horrendous, dark nights, bad weather, but necessary as the majority of my customers work, and I refuse to do the round in the day, and repeat it at night. But the thought of the council tax mountain means I have to carry on. OH helps me, but I do the paperwork and leg work.

Ah well, the lighter nights are slowly coming, and it is so much warmer this week, so hopefully we will all feel much better, and more able to cope.

Best wishes to you all.
Scooby88
Longlasting Laner

Post by Scooby88 »

another update,

Mum had a slight relapse last week, I though we were back to square one. I blamed myslef for going to Wales and leaving her but I didnt realise how much I needed a break. I took a few days off work to look after her. We saw the psychitrist who altered her meds (again) and she does seem to be getting better, albeit very very slowly. She is very nervous, anxious and not herself at all. But it beats her being confused and psychotic like she was at one stage.
When I was off work, I found myself 'disliking' my own mother. I couldnt stand to be around her. She is not the mother I used to know and I fear I may never see that woman whom I love and adore ever again. Sometimes I get a glipse, but then she'd gone. It is a scary feeling, and even though I know I have the support of my family, who are all going through this hell too, I cant help but feel alone. I hug her and smell her and long for her to just be 'normal' again. I miss her and I hope this illness doesnt last forever. Everybody's life has been put on hold for the moment. We simply cannot plan for the future as mother is such a huge part of everyones life, we dont know what to do without her.

Depression is a heartbreaking illness. It effects not only the person going through it, but their entire family and network of friends and collegues. My heart goes out to anyone who is suffering or coping with a family member who is suffering.
I will say my prayers tonight and hope that one day my mother will come back to me and that Im given the strength to help her and my family get through this...
cakebaker
Lively Laner

Post by cakebaker »

Really do feel for you Scooby, and I wish you, your mum and family all the very best. {hug}
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

You have all my sympathy {hug} My mothers' depression rules our house and has turned her into a stranger to me {cry}
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Scooby, my heart goes out to you and your family, mums are so special that its hard to see this sort of thing happening to them. Don`t lose heart and remember the mum you used to know is still there, she has just got a little lost and I am sure with the help she is getting things will get better, it just take time. I am glad your break in Wales did you good, don`t forget to look after yourself as well. lots of {hug}
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Will be saying a wee prayer for you all too. Take care {hug}
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen