Depression

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Super Steve
Learner Laner

Re: Depression

Post by Super Steve »

I am sorry to hear of the circumstances you are going through with your mother.

Unbeknown to many people in my circle of friends, i went through about 3-4 years of depression/anxiety attacks starting when i was 18.

It was pretty much the result of my father's passing away very suddenly and alot of things that had happened to our family leading up to his death.

I had always managed to keep a brave face on things to work colleagues and my social group but inside the moods were killing me.

I managed to pull through with a combination of going to the gym 3-4 times a week to boost my confidence and then started to see a hypnotherapist once a week for about 2 months.

It was only on the final session that i finally broke down in tears and released all the pent up emotions that i had been holding back for so long.

To this day, i know when the signs of depression could be coming back but by keeping myself active (walking/gym) or forcing myself to pick up the phone and interact with someone every day, i know i can combat going back to that dark place

My thoughts are with you Scooby and i hope that things improve in time
Scooby88
Longlasting Laner

Post by Scooby88 »

Thank you, and thank you for sharing your experiences. It good to know we are not alone.
Mum has been diagnosed with Physchotic depression. She had another 'relapse' yesterday. It was a pretty bad day for us all. I left work at lunch time to look after her. Its hard as we dont know how to talk to her, most of the time whatever I say makes things worse.
She cant watch TV or listen to the radio as she hears whats happening on the news and becomes convinced that what she's sees may happen to her, or a member of the family. She jumbles up a load of different news stories, and creates a story and she believes it is really going to happen. Like for instance she'll watch 'Blue Planet' then an hour later be convinced that she can hear dolphin noises and that they are communicating with her through the TV. All complete nonsense but to her its real.

Has anyone had to support a family member who is physchotic? I mean the depression is bad, something I have had and had to cope with. But physchosis is a completly different experience for me to have to deal with. I think I could probably cope with mum if she was depressed, even severly as she has been. But when she is saying the things she is, and constantly paranoid and fidgeting, it is a nightmare to deal with.

Its been 5 weeks now, I cant help but wonder how much longer this is going to go on for. Her meds seem to be working, slowly and the physhciatric hospital have been great, but I do long for my mother back...
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Hi Scooby doo, I feel for you so much. I suffer from depression and that can be bad enough, anti depressants seem to keep it under control. I know what a strain physchosis can be, my elder daughter was mentally ill and physchotic and it has been such a strain, I used to try and rationalise with her but when someone is like that it is nigh on impossible. It`s good that you have a good physchiatric team and hospital, don`t be afraid to ask for help. You must not forget yourself in all of this, sometimes you have to take a step back for a little while. Have you thought of contacting MIND, they might be able to give you help and advice. If your mum is at home is there an outreach team you can contact to help you.
Sorry if this seems a bit garbled but want you to know I understand how hard it is and am thinking of you and your family. {hug} {hug}
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

So sorry to hear your mum's still unwell scooby. Is there any talk of hospitalising her at the moment or do they have any idea how long the meds will take to work. It must be so hard for you all, Will be thinking of you, especially you and your dad. {hug}
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen