Help me and others to stop smoking

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Re: Help me and others to stop smoking

Post by MissEllie »

LittleBrownFrog wrote:
Steve the Gas wrote:Not the bog, sell it!

I really need to do this....

What's stopping you?

lizziedoggarden wrote:I WILL stop...just helps at the moment.

I bet you'd find it easier to put that weight on if you stopped now.

There's safety in numbers guys..... )t' )t' )t'
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

I need to get all my ducks in a row first, it will be this year. )t'
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

I'll hold you to that.

Nothing more annoying than a self righteous ex smoker eh Steve! )run(
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Yes Elspeth sweetiepie ........
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

I'm not a self-righteous ex-smoker, but I'll hold you to it anyway )w(
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Panteg Produce
Legendary Laner

Post by Panteg Produce »

Rich , you had the will power and determination to cycle the end to end.
quitting smoking should be a doddle!

)t'
Live a simple life and be happy , Rich.
wendy

Post by wendy »

This is true, Panteg.
You had the strength of character to cycle all that way. On your own, no one to keep you going.
We can give you all the encouragement you want and we will.
But it is you that will do it and I am sure that you will.
My son is 47 and has the start of emphysema, but is still saying he will cut down and eventually stop. NO son, stop now, time for excuses has gone
Good luck Richard )t'
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
FRUGAL MASTER
Lively Laner

Post by FRUGAL MASTER »

Hi Richard ,
I smoked heavy for 25 yrs , if I am honest it took me a few goes to finally give up smoking , but its one of the best things I have done.
Its good to actually take a deep breath without coughing , also to be able to taste your food , and regain your sense of smell...... will help with your cycling too !
Yes do it for family , but do it for yourself )t'
The cravings will stop , but its important to change your routine , to help with the habitual
side of smoking , I took a different route to work , etc , kept busy when I felt like a ciggie.
I found the patches were the best for me , plenty of chewing gum , and take vitamin c (orange juice)
If you really want to do it , you will .
Peter.
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

fishpond wrote:You need to WANT TO STOP NOW, not next week.
Finiahing off some Baccy says to me that you do not want to stop:-D

Sorry Richard but fishpond is spot on. As an ex smoker smoking 40+ a day for 20 years, I have only give up smoking once. That was around 18 years ago. I got up one morning throw my cigs in the bin and that was that, because I wanted to stop for myself and no other reason, I never had patches, gum or any other assistance, it wasnt as hard as I thought because I knew I didnt want to smoke again.

No one can help you only encourage you. Throw your baccy in the bin now Richard and that makes you decide the start date, if you wait while the bacca pouch is empty then the nicotine has decided the start date. If the latter is chosen then I,m sorry but I agree with fishpond and would have to question if you really want to stop.

I have read most of your story through your site and I personaly have know doubt whats so ever, that if you really want to stop then you will, because for a man who stepped out of his comfort zone into the unknown all those years ago because he WANTED to, because he belived he would succeed in the lifestyle that was right for him. For a bloke even when the tough times financial/emotional times, never gave up. For a bloke who cycled 1000+ miles because for no other reason then he WANTED to, then beating your addiction is no problem at all. Throw your pouch in the bin now. I apologise if i,ve gone on and come over as hollier then thou, bit but as an ex smokers we are prob the biggest hypocrites, but if it helps people enjoy a few more years then thats fine with me :-D
Dont ever grow up, its a trap
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Thanks for your replies. I absolutely don't agree with the 'you've got to stop now' - that simply has the opposite effect altogether on me, that's my biology. It may work for some, but not for me.

Yes I cycled from JOG to LE because I did it my way. If I did it the way everyone said I should, I either wouldn't have started and certainly not finished it.

I've always set a date on anything personal and always stuck with it.

Not against anyone, I will, but from next Friday, that's my start date as I said )t' )t' )t'

It's after that I need the help :-D

Thanks for all the guidelines

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

Stopping smoking has been in the back of my mind for a long time now. So I am with you Richard, next friday it is. )t'
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Steve the Gas wrote:Yes Elspeth sweetiepie ........

Hee hee +f+

Richard I think you're right to do it your way, surely you'll be more likely to succeed if your in control.
Enjoy your last few days of baccy
Well done Al )t'
Woody Allen
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

I didn't have you down as a smoker Al! Well done for deciding to chuck it in )t'
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
FRUGAL MASTER
Lively Laner

Post by FRUGAL MASTER »

And remember , take it day by day ! and don,t beat yourself up if you relapse , just try again )t'
I never thought I,d give up , but I done it.....no one thought I would :-D
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Apologies, reading my post again, I'm a bit stroppy aren't I !!

You are right about having a control on it. I'd decided upon something, which I feel is the best way I can handle it and the one with most chance.
As it happens, by smoking about 4 or 5 a day for the last whatever days, I've found it quite easy and I've found myself saying blimey, if I can go that long, I can do it.

I go on the.. There were two Bulls standing by the field full of Cows. One bull said to the other,'Hey the Farmer's forgotten to shut the gate, let's run in and have a couple'.
The other bull looked at him and said 'No, let's walk in and have the lot'.

Anyways, I think the other thing is that I hadn't been thinking about giving up, it was all a bit sudden, so I needed a bit of time to take stock

:-D :-D
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome