Antibiotic cream

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Re: Antibiotic cream

Post by rhubarb93 »

It is not possible to buy antibiotic cream without a prescription - what they are offering is probably antibacterial, which is not quite the same (similar to Savlon, TCP etc).
I'd agree, bathe with hot saltwater to clean it up, then try either tee-tree oil if you like the natural approach (I've had a lot of success for minor injuries with it) or something containing Povidone Iodine (which is what is in Inadine dressing) - Savlon Dry Spray (NOT the cream) contains this.
Any spreading of redness up the leg, get to Dr ASAP.

Hope it's better soon!
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Oh Helen, poor you.

I would suggest bathing it first in inadine, betadine, chlorhexidine or whatever antiseptic you can get at the chemist. Or failing that, dissolve some salt in boiling water, let it cool down and use that.

Then get some anti-bio cream if you can. Could you ring your GP perhaps? They have to answer calls for an hour after the surgery has closed.

Are you managing to get about with it still? {hug}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

rhubarb93 wrote:It is not possible to buy antibiotic cream without a prescription - what they are offering is probably antibacterial, which is not quite the same (similar to Savlon, TCP etc).
I'd agree, bathe with hot saltwater to clean it up, then try either tee-tree oil if you like the natural approach (I've had a lot of success for minor injuries with it) or something containing Povidone Iodine (which is what is in Inadine dressing) - Savlon Dry Spray (NOT the cream) contains this.
Any spreading of redness up the leg, get to Dr ASAP.

Hope it's better soon!

)t' about the redness )t'
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

Garlic is antibiotic (try googling) and I use it for ear infections with great success.

Also Tea Tree oil - wikipedia says this:

Tea tree oil has been scientifically investigated only recently. Some sources suggest beneficial medical properties when applied topically, including antiviral,[7] antibacterial, antifungal, and antiseptic qualities. It also has beneficial cosmetic properties.[8]

Tea tree oil is active against Staphylococcus aureus, including MRSA.[9] Tea tree oil is less successful for application in the nose.[10] Also, there is clinical evidence that topical dermatological preparations containing tea tree oil may be more effective than conventional antibiotics in preventing transmission of CA-MRSA.[11]

Recent studies support a role for the topical application of tea tree oil in skin care and for the treatment of various diseases and conditions. Tea tree oil appears to be effective against bacteria, viruses, fungal infections, mites such as scabies, and lice such as head lice. A 2008 study of in vitro toxicity showed a tea tree oil preparation was more effective against head lice than permethrin, a popular pharmaceutical remedy.[12]
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

How is it this morning Helen? Has your toe fallen off yet?
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

LittleBrownFrog wrote:How is it this morning Helen? Has your toe fallen off yet?

If it has, maybe Ock can recommend someone who can make her a wooden one. )j;
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Right - just a little update on my toe!

When Dr Perchy and Nurse Toto arrived, they insisted on an inspection and they made me go to the chemist to talk to the pharmacist.

She said I needed oral anti-bs for it, and to make an appointment with my doc. I asked her if it was urgent as I was a bit busy thid week (it had to be this week of all weeks }hairout{ ) and she suggested I made an appointment for later, carried on with the savlon and then see how it went.

Which I did, (except for the make an appointment bit )sh ) and thankfully it has got better. I think Toto walking the dog for a few days helped too, as it was getting incredibly cold and painful when out walking.

Anyway, thank you all for your concern and advice. I did keep checking it and luckily all was well in the end!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

I can't think of anyone more qualified than Toto to give advice re your poorly toe :-D
Dom
Ali Woks My World
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

:shock: {rofwl} {rofwl} {rofwl}

I didn't notice that!! )grin2(
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
perchy

Post by perchy »

We did ask to see the offending toe :-D

It was not as bad as I thought it would be +pinn+ but to be honest Helen did listen to some advice when relaxed )hic( and it really did look much better when we left )t'

Your NEW boots helped of course {hug&kiss}
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

If she'd seen the doctor, do you think she could have got the new boots on prescription?

Glad it's better {hug}
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.