Knee replacement

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
p.penn

Re: Knee replacement

Post by p.penn »

Honestly, when you really think about it - what is the alternative? To carry on as you are and it gets even worse??? You have no option really and anyway, as the op is usually extrememely successful, I would just go for it.

Don't forget, there will be a waiting list which you need to get on quickly. It will be a while anyway, and you don't want to leave it longer than necessary.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

)t'
LYN
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Some of our dance club members have had knees and/or hips done and are dancing much more comfortably (not that we do the highland fling or anything, more Pride & Predjudice).

Go4, could you get a char to come and keep the house in order, stock up the freezer and invite some of your long-lost friends & relations to come and stay for a couple of days on a rota. I stayed with a college friend for a few days when she had her heel done (now that was a horrid op and took her quite a while to get over).
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

My OH had one knee replaced 18mths ago and hasn't looked back. Before having it done, he had a really bad job with walking.
At the moment he is under our park home doing some plumbing. If he wasn't doing that he would be on his allotment. When first done it has a fair amount of swelling, which has treatment. Of the utmost importance is doing the excercises that you will be given. He did as was told without fail and it has proved worth it. His was a great success and except for not being able to kneel for a long time on the knee, his movements are absolutely normal.
Good luck Lyn when your turn comes round.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
lizziedoggarden
Legendary Laner

Post by lizziedoggarden »

My cousin is having a knee replacement next wednesday, they are doing it under local sedation ( numb from hips down) and he can't drive for 6 weeks )t'

I think you should go for it...think how much better you will be when its healed {hug}
Don't dream it, BE it....

Am looking forward to welcoming Sunny Clucker to Woodbridge Suffolk!!!!!
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Yesterday sealed it for me. We went to Trago Mills and walking around there, then back to the car, I was in agony and almost crying with the pain. So, if I'm offered the surgery I will definately take it. Thank you all for your input {hug}
LYN
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

)t' hope you are offered it and don't have long to wait
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Oh Lyn {cry}

Here's hoping you'll get what you need soon {hug}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Went to the hospital today to see the Consultant re: knee replacement. He agrees that I need one. He's offered me the choice of participating in a research study of total knee replacement versus partial replacement as I am suitable for both. It seems the research consists being randomly put into a treatment group, total or partial. If I decide not to take part my surgeon will choose what he thinks is best :? What the heck do I do >dum< There is more of a follow up regime, ex rays and questionnaires over 7-10 yrs if I take part. Looks like I will have to do some goggling )scare(
LYN
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

only you can decide Lyn, all I'll add is I used to do some research work at our hospital and it's all very strictly controlled and monitored. You will be able to pull out at any time if you do consent and you should never feel pressured into any decision you're not sure of.
Talk it over with your family and if necessary go back to your doctor, I'm assuming he's given you some info which should have contact numbers on it.
Glad you're getting something done, my dad loves his new knees {hug}
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
andywatson
Learner Laner

Post by andywatson »

My mother aged 84 had hers done 2 years ago for the same reason as yourself.
Straightforward operation and no problems have ocurred since.
I'd say go for it and good luck.
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Went to fill in forms and have my knee measured yesterday. The nurse was very open and told me I would be in a great deal of pain after the op and it would take a year to reach full potential. I thanked her very much for that information :?. She did say also that she always gives the worst scenario. She rang this morn and told me I was having the full knee replacement and not the partial. Dont know whether to laugh or cry :oops: Oh well onwards and upwards )hlp>
LYN
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Always best to know the worst case scenario I think. You can plan accordingly - if you know you're going to be in a lot of pain & with limited mobility, then you can organise some help & do as much as you can beforehand to make things easy on yourself {hug} Do you know yet when the operation will be?
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
wendy

Post by wendy »

When we were at the fracture clinic this morning thay had a virtual video of a knee replacement. Looks so clever.
I do hope you have it soon and get all the pain over and done with in one go.
{hug}
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

LBH I think it will be sometime in july )scare(

Thanks Wendy, I hope so too. Only trouble is I need both knees done so I will have another op to *look forward* to sooner or later :?
LYN