Not waiting for God!

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Not waiting for God!

Post by Richard »

I really don't want this to sound patronising at all, but may I just say what a joy it is to read posts by those of 'not younger years' and all the things they do, it does give so much inspiration and hope if you like.

I noticed it cycling last year, all the over 60's, 70's really getting around with never a spare moment and getting as much from life they possibly can.

I respect that much is to do with the luck of the draw health wise, but I know that some on Forum do have their fair share of aches and pains, but does that hold them back.....no !!

I just hope that some of the youngsters see all this and do realise that getting on a bit is far from the end of it and even without the best of health, there is much fun to be had from life.

Keeping going keeps you going!!

Richard :-D )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
wendy

Re: Not waiting for God!

Post by wendy »

I haven't time to wait for Him.
He will just have to run to catch up.....eventually )grin2(
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

That is true, Richard. I feel there is much inspiration from the older generation, in this day and age, and from here, at DTL!
I'd say you are one of the biggest inspirations!
NO, you're not old, just on the other side of the hump (like me)....but nothing holds you back or stops you!
You DO set a great example of what growing older SHOULD be like...
Hey, the best is yet to come (we have to at least always think so!) :-D
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Well said Richard, you are an inspiration and I personally feel more motivated when I read the posts on DLT. I`m not a youngster 61 this year and want to make the most of time left. )t'
Richard

Post by Richard »

That's very nice of you to say so, appreciated very much, but I've learnt so much from others.

I think a lot of it is not accepting too much and not having a routine.

By that, I see too much of the old 'every Sunday I do this, then that, then the other, then that'. It's great on special days like Christmas, Mother's Day perhaps, but we get too much into routines and whilst we are, life can sometimes pass us by more speedily than we had hoped.

Other things are that we wait for things to come to us, they won't, we have to go out and get them.
We look for short cuts when often there aren't any!

We have to discard the 'I'm a whatever'. Hard to explain, it's kind of saying 'I've always been this or done that and won't accept anything else'.

In that respect I do think I'm doing OK; a complete change of life, ducking, diving, speeding up, slowing down to meet that day's needs if it be financial or otherwise.

I love reading posts on here; like Mo who never stops dancing, Wendy who runs Dog Training Lessons and see's the World (although I take the mickey!!), Granny's adventures and reading a couple of threads started by Maggie about how things were.

There are others and I apologise if I've not mentioned anyone by name - you know who you are!!

I know that should Mo suddenly have a problem dancing and Wendy may have a problem getting away, they'll find something else, they won't be waiting for God.

I don't mean it to sound anti-religious by the way, just taking the words from that very clever TV Series of that name.

Hope I'm making sense, there are quite a few on DTL who inspire me - and some youngsters as well by the way )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Richard, I applaud your thread and thank you most sincerely for this site and all that you have given us all.

Life after retirement is so busy, I remember my parents saying the same, joining the club of unpaid village servants.

But every Sunday, we do do this, that and the other, as my husband is a (supposed to be retired) free church minister, among other things. So we are there, helping out as it happens.

We find time to carry out our various hobbies, though I have given up one recently, dog training, after ten years, my joints just would not hack it any longer, so we did something else, we got the girls.

When I learn something new, I think how wonderful, and then realise that there is so much more to be learned. One of the biggest boons has been the internet, and sites like this.

So like you, and the other Laners, we are filling in our time, hopefully as meaningfully as we can. But it does mean that we tend to nod off in the evening!
Richard

Post by Richard »

Ten out of ten to you Spreckers )t' )t' )t'

The main thing about your Sunday is that you're doing something which you obviously both enjoy and believe in, that's worth a few extra years in itself I'd have thought :-D

What you say rings true, retirement does not mean grazing, it's just another chapter isn't it.

Richard
Mallard
Legendary Laner

Post by Mallard »

Good post, although I'm waiting for a Goddess! )grin2(
Some of my younger relatives are always telling me to take it easy, don't do so much, do they think I should give up? When I go to a chemist for my prescription, they say, 'we can collect and deliver if you want us to!' I want to walk to the surgery and do the running about myself, and intend to do just that as long as I can!
It would be so easy (and tempting) to sit in a comfy armchair and stare out at life going by, but I'm not ready for that, yet! 8)
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money.
- Pablo Picasso
Richard

Post by Richard »

Ah, Mallard the Allotment Man I always call you - have you still got your mate standing there on the plot.
Last time I saw him he was wearing pink I recall !!

You can see some of Mallards work from old pallets on this Down the Lane page...

http://www.downthelane.net/uses-for-old-pallets.php (Photo 1)

Richard )t'
Mallard
Legendary Laner

Post by Mallard »

Richard wrote:Ah, Mallard the Allotment Man I always call you - have you still got your mate standing there on the plot.
Last time I saw him he was wearing pink I recall !!

You can see some of Mallards work from old pallets on this Down the Lane page...

http://www.downthelane.net/uses-for-old-pallets.php (Photo 1)

Richard )t'

He's still there, attracting female attention .ang. looking for a pink Shawaddy Waddy type drape jacket for him, best price £8 on flea-bay so far!
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money.
- Pablo Picasso
wendy

Post by wendy »

)t'
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I honestly think that age is a state of mind. Yes, the body grows old but as long as you are active mentally, there are never enough hours in the day.
I went for my check up at the hip clinic last week. The doctor was very pleased with my recovery and when I said that I have had good movement from the start, he pointed to his head and said a lot of it is up there.
I am not as active as I would like through arthritis in the spine, but still look after the fruit on the allotment, look after my garden and have various hobbies. I also look after 3 chooks, a dog and cat and of course my OH.
At the moment I'm making rag dolls, covering cushion on the sofa and painting skirting boards. I also make all my preserves and still do the home decorating.
The evening is time for crosswords, reading the papers and perhaps doing a bit of drawing or painting.
I am nearing 75 now and to be honest hate old age, but it has to come and as long as I see everthing as a challenge, then I will always be busy and always find a way around things as I hate something beating me.
This forum is wonderful as we are of all ages and because we don't actually see each other, treat each other as people, not young or old people.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Tink
Longlasting Laner

Post by Tink »

What a lovely thread. Really good point "albertajune" we are ageless on this site as we never see each other and therefore don't make assumptions.
Richard, I was only talking to a friend this week about NOT having a routine and we said we would watch each other for falling into that trap .
Once I got into my late 50's I began to realise that I have lived most of my life and unlike when you are young you have so many decades ahead of you.
Humour is so important to me and I think it keeps you young. I am from a family which cries laughing on occassions and I often find myself to be my biggest source of amusement at some of the gaffs I have made.
I work with the termally ill and I feel one of the ways we can honour those who are dying /have died is to live our lives to the full. This is not always easy at all and I am only just begining to do that again positively as lost my dear mum 18 months ago .
Today is mothers day and we can honour all those who gave us life.
Its been lovely reading the threads going back into our childhood memories of the 50's & 60's and how wonderful that we have shared memories from differerent lives.
Richard )t' for setting up this brill site it is so much more than it first appears !
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

What a really lovely thread, thank you Richard and everyone :-D :-D {hug}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Panteg Produce
Legendary Laner

Post by Panteg Produce »

Having read this I'd better get off my bum and get out the garden!

)t'
Live a simple life and be happy , Rich.