Losing a little more weight?

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
LisaB

Losing a little more weight?

Post by LisaB »

I'm struggling a bit at the moment, I eat pretty well, lots of fruit and veg, don't eat excessively at all, and only have junk food maybe once or twice a week, and drink water often.
With having arthritis I don't exercise much, I take the dogs out for 2 half hour strolls a day, but on days like this where the weather is bad the dogs wont go for a walk (not surprising really).
I have hospital appointments every few months and get weighed every time, last summer (when I was pigging out on everything) I weighed just under 10 stone, I had a really rough christmas and barely ate and dropped a dress size but apparently I was 12 stone? I really don't understand how, but yeah.
I can't cut out any more food, but what am I meant to do when I can't exercise? I think it may benefit my knees too if I lost a bit of weight.
I have a hospital appointment in 6 weeks and would like to have lost a few pounds, but I really don't know what to do :?
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: Losing a little more weight?

Post by Benny&Co »

Oh Lisa {hug}

How tall are you?

I can't understand how you dropped a dress size and your weight increased by 2 stones? Are you sure your scales are working correctly?

When you next see the hospital, why don't you ask to see a physio to get suitable exercises that you can do but won't cause you any harm. Also, is it possible that your medication could affect your weight?

I'm sure walking the dogs will help.

I decided that I was getting a bit porky last September and just clipped a healthy eating thing out of the paper. I loosely followed that and gradually till about January I lost 10 pounds which I was very chuffed with.

Here's some ideas of what I had for each meal (not all at once {rofwl} ):

Brekky
One egg omlette with bit of cheese/chives/what you fancy
Natural yoghurt with fruit/nuts/honey
Cereal with milk
Scrambled egg with dash of brown sauce
Bacon and egg
Sausage and egg
Porridge

I cut down the amount of bread I was having, only having it every few days for instance.

Lunch
Tuna and bean salad
Egg salad
Ryvita and cottage cheese or mackerel/sardines
Omlette (as above)
Occasional baked potato with tuna/cheese/beans etc.

Dinner
Fish/seafood casserole either Thai style or Spanish with chorizo with lots of veggies in there
Fish and roast vegetables - peppers/courgette/squash/mushy/red onion/whatever we've got in
Chicken (either wrapped in parma/serano ham etc or with herbs/garlic/lemon etc) with roast veggies
Curry with brown rice
Bolognase with brown pasta
Gammon, egg, pineapple and peas
Roast dinner with all the trimmings
Steak with vegetables and every now and then dauphinoise potatoes

I cut down on how many spuds I was having, but didn't stop completely - could never do that!

I also cut down on the vino too )hic(
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

Bev is right about asking about exercise.
Her diet looks good too.
Unfortunately, even though you don't eat alot of junk food, if you aren't able to exercise much, even a small amount of junk food will effect you more than someone who can exercise alot.
Also, sugar can actually worsen arthritis. It causes inflammation and will zap you of your energy.
Eat fish and nuts and seeds that have omega 3 oils in them. That is helpful for arthritis.
So is green tea, olive oil and vitamin C (in foods).
Hope you feel better soon, Lisa~ :-D
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Thank you both!

I'm 5ft5, my dress size is a 12-10 (my waist is a 10, but my bust is too big for 10s :oops: :oops: :oops: ), and then I dropped to an 8-10 over christmas but had apparently gained weight.
I have been to physio and hydro and try to keep doing the exercises they told me (which is literally lifting my arms and legs up, which doesn't really help losing weight).
I don't eat breakfast, I have a cuppa instead, I'm just far too exhausted in the morning to stomach food and just throw it up or feel really sick, which also means I usually have to wait until dinner to have tablets :?
I cut down on my sugar intake, with just having one sugar in my tea, barely any fizzy drinks, and any juice i have is really really weak.
I drink fully skimmed milk.
I'm piscatarian (only meat I eat is fish) so I eat a lot of mackerel and salmon, and other fish, I eat a lot of quorn, I try to cut down on bread, I have about 8-10 slices a week (sounds like a lot!) and also cut down on butter and mayo.
I've never ever liked nuts, at all, or seeds. I also have a hate for mint, have tried green tea and it was awful, even tried to force myself to drink a cup a day and just couldn't do it.
)gr:
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I really sympathise Lisa, losing weight is my losing battle, and arthritis means that a lot of exercise cannot be taken.
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Spreckly wrote:I really sympathise Lisa, losing weight is my losing battle, and arthritis means that a lot of exercise cannot be taken.

Awful isn't it :(
Before all this happened I was so sporty, gymnastics, trampolining and cross country every week, and training every day, I miss that so much {cry}
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

How about swimming Lisa?
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Swimming isn't really for me, I know swimming is meant to be good for people with arthritis, but I find it the completely opposite, I find moving more painful than baring weight on my joints, and with the buoyancy in the water it's so much more effort and painful to just walk in water, so I really couldn't swim, found this when going to hydro. Also, I wouldn't get in a swimming costume atm without losing some more pounds :?
julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

Did they weigh you at the hospital Lisa? I know it sounds daft but are you sure they got it right .. I cant understand how you can weigh that when you ran through you're vital statistics which sound about right for your helght. {hug}
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Me neither. I am the same height as you and when I was 11st I was a good size 14, and at 12 stone more like a size 16.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

But how would they get it wrong at hospital? :?
manda

Post by manda »

You could have a look at the slimming world website...they have meal suggestions for both vegetarian and meat eaters (you could replace fish for meat in some meals I'm sure)...I know it must sound like I get commission for suggesting them (I really don't!) but I have found that by just changing my eating habits I dropped the weight without having to do exercise (unless I wanted to) so might be an option.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

LisaB wrote:But how would they get it wrong at hospital? :?

Mistakes happen, maybe they just read it wrong. It's worth double checking as it doesn't sound right to me either. I'm the same height as you, weigh about the same as you supposedly do and I'm a size 16 :?
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
manda

Post by manda »

Could be their scales need recalibrating...it happens.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Oh right, well we don't have scales in our house so I can't check how much I weigh :oops:
I actually remember a while ago my nana saying that she usually gets weighed in two different departments in the hospital, and in one she's always half a stone - stone heavier :shock: But to be two stone + out seems a bit too much?
Thanks Manda - I will look at slimming world :)