My Mums in hospital now !

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
wendy

Re: My Mums in hospital now !

Post by wendy »

Just caught up with this Annie, as we have been away.
I am pleased that she seems to be improving. Make the best of your time alone.
{hug}
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Pleased to hear your mum is getting on ok Annie, they are `naughty.' are`nt they, and I don`t mean that in a derogative way. they say they can`t do this that and the other and in hospital or a different envirement to home and its a different matter. take care Annie and relax and have some `me' time {hug}
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Apart from the dreadful weather it has been a lovely lazy day for us , hate saying it but its good just having the house to ourselves for the first time in many years. We went in to see her tonight and she said she had been a bit cross today as she isnt allowed to go anywhere without a nurse in tow, I think she has plans to escape with her new best friend the zimmer !
She did say the food was better than her last stay in hospital , she opted for an omelette today and when it arrived she thought - oh dear these wont be from hens like our Annies but it was eat it or go hungry . No drs or physios today so hope they make an early start with her tomorrow, see if they can get this pain to go away.
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Annie wrote: hate saying it but its good just having the house to ourselves for the first time in many years.

Well why shouldn't you make the best of it.
We spent 3 years looking after MIL 130 miles away from home so the only time we saw each other was when we swapped over every couple of weeks. She spent some time in hospital and apparently the nurses were shocked that we didn't visit much. But it was such a relief being at home and able to relax.

Hope they sort things out, and that she uses the zimmer at home.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hi Annie,

If she's thinking about where the eggs came from, guess she's doing OK.

In no way see this as being bad on your Mother, but it's good for you and the family overall for you and Alex to have a bit of time to yourselves.

Do hope that things improve all round.

Richard xx
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Dinchy
Legendary Laner

Post by Dinchy »

Hi Annie, just echoing what the others are saying really. Wishing your Mum well, but take this opportunity to recharge your batteries and have some you time. You deserve it {hug}
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

)wav( hi Annie, just popping in to send you and Eck a {hug}
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Just doing the same as Ellie really. Hope all is good {hug}
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
lizziedoggarden
Legendary Laner

Post by lizziedoggarden »

Nothing wrong with enjoying a little time to yourself Huni {hug} {hug} {hug} {hug} {hug}
Don't dream it, BE it....

Am looking forward to welcoming Sunny Clucker to Woodbridge Suffolk!!!!!
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Hi Annie - glad to hear she is doing ok. For the moment she is in the best place, and although it must seem odd at home, it does give you a moment or two to recharge you batteries. {hug}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Eck visited again today and at last Mum has seen the physio who had her walking round the ward with her zimmer and a few other leg movements , still no exercises though. On Saturday a Prof ???? stopped at Mums bed and informed her he was taking her off 2 meds she has been on for years - 1 being Frusemide for her water retention, this was done with no explanation and now Mum has swollen ankles and swollen feet that she can't get her slippers on - wow this is really going to help her get mobile again, they decided to put her back on another tablet for water retention.
Also today , it was decided to give her an intelligence test yike* yike* yike* - do they assume all elderly patients must be senile or maybe they didnt notice she was up with modern gadgetry as she was sitting there reading her Kindle - perhaps they thought she was just looking at the pictures .
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

}hairout{ My Grandma has similar issues whenever she is admitted to hospital. I understand that they like to do a review of medications etc, and I can see the reasons behind that, but it's so frustrating when they make changes without explaining properly. They make Grandma go through the intelligence tests as well.
Glad she's up and about, but the swelling is worrying though, an ulcerated leg would be a serious setback.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

Hi Annie - when my mum was in hospital her legs swelled up horrendously - think it's all the sitting around - at home i make sure she gets her legs up as much as possible. They certainly don't always know best - so don't assume they do. I kept mum free from pressure sores for seven years at home and last time she was in hospital she came out with a Grade 4 weeping pressure sore on her heel and MRSA (after a three week stay) despite me telling every member of staff I spoke to that she was at very high risk of getting one in that spot. It was only after she was discharged (at my insistence because I knew she wasn't getting the care she needed) that I discovered they hadn't followed a lot of the protocols that they should have done. Podiatry (who my mum was under as an outpatient actually put in an official complaint about the treatment she received - they should have been informed immediately when she was admitted apparently because she was a high risk patient).

Dont get me wrong I think the NHS is a wonderful thing but I do think there are some very serious issues about geriatric care. I think the less mobile you are the more at risk you are so its good that your mum is getting around at least - but dont be fobbed off if you have any concerns )t'
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Oh dear - what a nuisance about the water tabs - my mum was on them for years and it can take such a long time to get the balance right }hairout{

Intelligence test? Blimey, I hope I never have to go into hospital! {rofwl}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

This is one of the most irritating things about hospitals in my opinion - they fail to explain why theu do things. Sometimes I think they just change things because they can. When my mother was in hospital, slowly but surely they took over all her bodily functions - she was having trouble walking to the loo, so they gave her a urinary drain, etc. She never became mobile again.

Annie, if you are concerned, make a stink, because they wont listen otherwise. They think they know best! Also, when you see her, make sure she is getting up and moving about. And make sure she has lots to stimulate her mind. Does she do computers? If so, let her have a laptop if possible to keep in touch with everyone.
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best