Fasting

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Fasting

Post by Sunny B »

Having watched the BBC's Eat, Fast and Live Longer programme the other night, I thought I might give the 5/2 fasting plan a try.

Today is my first ever attempt at fasting. I've decided to have my 600 calories at dinnertime this evening, as I hate the idea of going to bed hungry!

So far I've had two cups of redbush tea with no milk and nothing else.

It's 12.25 now and I would normally have had breakfast and lunch by now.

I took the dog for a walk earlier to take my mind off being hungry, but am now feeling pretty miserable. I also feel a bit light headed, a bit headachey and I'm hitting lots of wrong keys while I'm typing this. But if the programme was right I should be building some new brain neurons!

Roll on dinnertime tonight! )eat(
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Re: Fasting

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

I didn't see the programme, but it will be interesting to hear how you get on. Do you have to do your two fast days consecutively?
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

It's still on Iplayer for a few days - well worth watching.

No, the days can be spread out - I wouldn't want to do two back-to-back.
Sara

Post by Sara »

I might do this as i quite often 'forget' to eat during the day so it may not be so hard.... Thanks Sunny, I will try and look it all up on Google as i dont get iplayer here )t'
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX
Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

I am so happy Horizon was on this. Some of my colleagues may even apologise for their responses.

I have been doing a version of it for a couple of months and have lost a stone. It has turned out to be just the right approach for me. I wish I had found something like this, with the scientific research, years ago!

Still, I can only get lighter (please) :-D
1 dumbo rat still without a name; 2 top eared rats Octavia and Ursula
1 Rhode Rock, 1 Sussex Star, 1 Blue Ranger - The New Monochrome Set

My crafty blog, it's Frugal too http://relovedremnants.blogspot.co.uk/
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Good on you Sunny, interesting and if done properly can bring great rewards.

I've fasted before and it's not as some people see it as starving yourself.

As you know I'm quite skinny and eat for England, but when I did fasting I never lost weight, just felt a lot fitter.

Go for it.

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

I was drawn to it for the health and anti-ageing benefits, as I don't really feel the need to lose weight.

However, Michael Moseley lost a stone after 5 weeks on the programme.

Next time I will change the way I do it a bit and have some of my calorie allowance in the morning, as I felt pretty headachy and muddle headed all day, having eaten nothing in order to have a normal dinner and a bit of supper as I couldn't bear the thought of going to bed hungry.

Surprisingly I haven't felt any need to eat more today, though I have been a bit lethargic. That might just be because it's very hot today.

The programme is available on iplayer until 17th September:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01lxyzc/Horizon_20122013_Eat_Fast_and_Live_Longer/
Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

I tried my first true 20% day yesterday - 350kcals.

Oddly it was alright. I had a headache and felt a bit iffy but it was doable, I didn't feel hungry. I wouldn't want to do it often though :? Definitely not doable at work so I will stick to the 500kcal down days.

I am 2lb down on the week again so it is working :-D

fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

I saw the programme and the point is it not just about weight loss. The health benefits appear to be reduction in blood glucose levels (especially beneficial for borderline type 2 diabetes) lowering of cholesterol and other factors for heart disease.

Mrs Fab and I are giving it a go. I am like a rake anyway but have practiced fasting before. A week past Thursday, I ate nothing for 24 hours, only taking in fluids and then upped my carbohydrates intake Friday and Saturday -and then ran 60 miles (yes 60) :-D it's a technique used by distance runners for years, called carbohydrate loading.
Michael
Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

Michael, do you have a copy of your carbo loading programme?

I ask as I am an A level PE lecturer and am collecting real athlete's diet programmes to use in the classroom and have not got an endurance version yet.

Usually my students react (and remember) better if I can tell them that the programmes they are looking at are real.

Jenny
Lively Laner

Post by Jenny »

There are some interesting 5/2 recipes in today's Daily Telegraph food section by Xanthe Clay. Recipes are for one person (female) but they can be multiplied up and have the addition of a "boys" perk.
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

Thanks, Jenny.
Several of these look delicious and worth making, even though I am not seriously into the fasting thing (yet!) Don't think it's at all a bad idea to have a low-cal day from time to time.
Yummy food like this makes it manageable for a foodie like me.
mortgagefreeme
Learner Laner

Post by mortgagefreeme »

I'm seriously thinking of doing this after seeing the documentary. (It's on Youtube btw in case anyone missed it). The last stone is taking some budging. I also really like the idea of living a long and healthy life (who doesn't?). I have only consumed 800 calories today and feel fine for it, whenever I get a hunger pang I have a cup of tea and do something to take my mind off it. I think 600 calories could be doable for me. I think I would have my calories at lunch time because I'm not that fussed about breakfast, I eat it for fuel but I don't enjoy it much. I think going to bed early may help me with hunger feeling :?
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

mortgagefreeme wrote: I think 600 calories could be doable for me.

I am sure it is doable for most people. I have just finished two fast days in a row. I only have about 400 calories on my fast days and still manage to go out running. On the non fast days, I eat and drink what I like. Works for Mrs Fab and me.
Michael
mortgagefreeme
Learner Laner

Post by mortgagefreeme »

Interesting. So it should be 400 cals for women on fast days? I'm going to do 5/2 and I'll start once the kids go back to school - dieting always seems easier when I'm on my own.