Preparing for old age

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Preparing for old age

Post by fabindia »

Having just turned 60, I am becoming ever more conerned about facing the prospect of aging. One thing is clear and that is we are all living longer. That must be good but at the same time the danger is we live longer but do not enjoy good health. What's the point of living well into your 80s if at the same time you get 20 years of pain and poor health?

Mrs Fab and I are concentrating on plenty of exercise (see my 60 miles at 60 thread - which may be a bit extreme), keeping our weight down and eating well (I've been vegetarian for a long time now, with absolutely no ill effects on my health). It's a fine balance to some extent. It is no point trying to live long but not enjoying life. We all need the odd pint of beer or glass of wine.

Any thoughts? What's your strategy for coping with advancing years.
Michael
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: Preparing for old age

Post by Annie »

Probably putting my head in the sand and pretending that its not happening >shrug< .
You are spot on though, my Mum died this year 2 days short of her 95 birthday but the last 15 - 20 years she had been in constant pain with one thing or another , her brain was very sharp but her body was falling to bits and believe me that isn't a nice thing , very depressing and frustrating.
Joking aside I am trying to lose weight by eating less of the foods that contain high fats, cakes and biscuits and eat more fruit and drink more water rather than tea and coffee at the drop of a hat . I walk my dogs and do the gardening but unlike yourself , dont push myself , just keep ticking over really. I would say that in my opinion , one of the important things when getting older is to keep interested in life around you, remain sociable and within reason try something new.
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I think health is a worry as we get older - I do get enough exercise, but I am seriously looking at changing my diet in the autumn as I eat loads of sugar. I am also going to stop drinking alcohol if I am on my own, which will be really quite hard I think, as when I am on here or f/book, it is not like being alone really, is it? :?
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

I stopped drinking alcohol totally in the six months up to my 60th. I can say, however, that I could not see that this made any discernible difference to my fitness or blood pressure. I have started to have the odd pint or glass of wine again, which not only is nice in itself, but alcohol in moderation seems to be actually good for you.
Michael
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I'm hoping that all the research I read about dancing being good for you works in our case. And that I stay fit and alert enough to drive to the dances.
We have members of our club dancing into their 90s, so there is hope. Even if some slow down and adapt their dancing to dodgy knees and hips.

Being so dependant on cars is a scary thing.

Anyone have a contact number for Shoot-a-Granny?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
wendy

Post by wendy »

We are 68 and 70 this year.
I also think keeping moving is the key. We walk for England. The past few months have been a very great trial, getting back on my feet again and it was hard work. But by the time I went in hospital Monday 6th August, we were walking around 6 miles most days. Back to square one again, but I will get there.
So not always are your health problems due to you not getting into gear sometimes it is just bad luck.
It is how you deal with it afterwards that is the key. My BMI is 23 so weight wise I am OK and spend my time keeping it that way.
Biggest problem I find with my friends is their mental attitude.
They are constantly moaning about one thing or another. Gets me down, so I am sure it does their families.. I am always a cup full person and have an enthusiastic view to life and I am sure that is the biggest help
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I try and eat healthily, no meat and stacks of vegetables and fruit, everything else in moderation. I eat very little junk, sometimes fall off the wagon with a small choccy bar from Thorntons, hard to resist, ha ha. I might have a bottle of wine every three weeks or so, and make it last three nights. Sometimes I buy a fourpack of cider, that lasts about 7 or 8 weeks.

I love the outdoors, walk a lot and I'm planning another long one for middle to end of September. Probably another home made coast to coast.

I think keeping your mind active is just as important as looking after your body, so I try to keep busy mentally as well as physically. Sitting around and procrastinating is bad for you, getting up and moving about is good. I'm glad I haven't got a tele.
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

I've recently turned 60 too. Thought I'd stay full of energy for ever but am definitely slowing down a bit. Apart from the obvious (healthy food and exercise) I believe we all need something mental, something physical and something "spiritual" (for want of a better word) in our lives to stay healthy. Mo, I think you are right about dancing, that has all 3!
Keeping engaged with life in whatever way appeals is the thing.
And I'm sure being part of The Lane is good for all us "more mature" Laners - keep it up!
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

Although I've only just turned 50, I'm thinking about ageing well too.

I do lots of walking and like to be active generally, as well as eating pretty healthily without being obsessive about it.

I agree with lots of the previous comments, especially about keeping a positive and optimistic frame of mind and generally being interested in life.

Funnily enough I just got a book from the library this morning called "The Warmth of your Heart prevents your Body from Rusting - Ageing without Growing Old" which addresses this. I can't comment further yet, as I've only got to page 13!

And, as I've mentioned before on the forum, "Younger Next Year" has also really inspired me.

Helen, put sugar ageing into google if you want to be really motivated about changing your diet!
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Mentioning books; I read a Deepak Chopra book a few years back - Ageless Body, Timeless Mind. Basically, he talked about different ways of measuring age. There is the chronological age (our age in years), our physical age (you can be 60 but physically your body can have aged better than someone half your age) and finally your mental age (you can still have all your marbles at 90, especially if you are Prince Philip!)
Michael
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Well I think my preparing for old age is a case of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted, but can also use the phrase better late than never. Due to lots of personal problems I put my health etc on a back burner until last year when hit with a bad case of pneumonia needing hospital, and with it ongoing health problems. I am now trying to get the best out of my body by dieting (seriously overweight) exercising, including specific pulmonary exercises and trying to generally be as active as I can physically and mentally. I try to stay positive and now not working am doing things I like to do instead of stressing about work so that should help as well. Have got a to do list (I love lists) and already looking ahead to 2013 and projects for then.
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

OH is 60 next month and I am 57 and we have both been thinking about our age for some time :?

Weight wise we are both fine and OH has lost a stone and his BMI is now 22.7, whilst mine is 19.6. Neither of us smokes or drinks and we eat okay. However we probably don't get as much exercise as we should :?

I am a fairly negative person, which is not good but I'm not sure it's easy to change your basic outlook on life :?
Lyn
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

The trouble with old age is that it creeps up on you and it is only when you get there that you realise it is upon you. It only seems a couple of years ago, when someone said to me "Are you really 50" I'm now 75 and honestly can't accept that I am considered old.

For what it's worth, I would say, carry on doing what you enjoy doing. Eat and drink what you like but everything in moderation. Yes get excercise but lots of older people can't excercise because of various complaints. I would say keeping active is just as important and of the most importance is to keep and active, inquiring mind.

The one thing that does bug me at being old is that you are sometimes considered to be of a different species. Also the medical world don't always consider that a treatment should be given after a certain age and the pills are too readily given for you to pop. Both myself and OH have had more health problems through side as a precaution, where he was in so much pain that he couldn't walk. He no longer takes them and is none the worse for it. In fact he works 2 allotments so can't be doing bad at 77. We both now ask for the treatment we would have got 20 yrs ago.

Don't dwell on getting old, we all have to get there. Make the rest of your life work for you by keeping happy and having a good interest in what is going on around you. None of us know what is in front of us but as long as we are happy we can cope with most things. I have always worked hard, always walked everywhere and had an active life. I still developed arthritis and a heart complaint but I stil enjoy my life and hope to be around for a lot longer.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

The way I,ve abused my body over the years I,ll be lucky if I see old age :-D , but it will still have been one hell of a ride .. {rofwl} {rofwl}
Dont ever grow up, its a trap