Any one sticking with the fasting regime?

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Any one sticking with the fasting regime?

Post by fabindia »

Mrs fab and I are into our second week of the 2 days fasting per week. As it isn't total fasting, you eat a small meal on the fast days, I find it no problems at all. Mrs Fab finds it slightly harder but as I say I find it no bother. I was worried that I might not have any energy but find I still run OK even on fast days.

If the health benefits are what they are made out to be then I think I will stick with it. I'll let you know how we get on )t'
Michael
Stef
Legendary Laner

Re: Any one sticking with the fasting regime?

Post by Stef »

Yep!

I'm managing the exercise too, Up Day mornings are becoming my wake up and move it days :-D

I have to admit that I am not finding it any problem, 6 weeks in (a little intermittently) and 16lbs down. I went back to work on Monday and it was simple enough to keep up. Wednesday was supposed to be a Down Day, but I had lunch with a colleague and so changed to Thursday instead.

I am so looking forward to the other health benefits.... my genetic inheritance seems to be quite scary :?
1 dumbo rat still without a name; 2 top eared rats Octavia and Ursula
1 Rhode Rock, 1 Sussex Star, 1 Blue Ranger - The New Monochrome Set

My crafty blog, it's Frugal too http://relovedremnants.blogspot.co.uk/
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

Due to family logistics I've decided to just do one day a week at the moment - I'd rather do that successfully than try 2 days and fail.

My second fast day was last Thursday, and that went a whole lot better than the first. I bought a pint of skilmmed milk (200 cals) and the three cups of tea I had during the day really made me feel much better than I did at the first attempt. I then had a huge saucepan of veg soup-stew for tea with two quorn fillets. The rest of the milk I had at bedtime with a raw egg whisked in. That went so well that I feel quite optimistic about succeeding now. )t'
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
redd_angel55
Legendary Laner

Post by redd_angel55 »

I caught the last few minutes of the program a few weeks ago and I was going to try this, but it completely slipped my mind :?
Do you mind posting the details of the fasting regime for me please? Was it 2 days of not eating at all or small meals?
I am following the Paul McK way of eating and would love to continue, but would also like to include the fasting for health benefits.
Slave to 3 children, 1 Greyhound, 1 Cat, 4 rescued hens and a very patient hubby x
R.I.P: Ellie, Phoebe, Tikka

Freshstart for hens collection point Aylesbury, Bucks
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

redd_angel55 wrote:I caught the last few minutes of the program a few weeks ago and I was going to try this, but it completely slipped my mind :?
Do you mind posting the details of the fasting regime for me please? Was it 2 days of not eating at all or small meals?
I am following the Paul McK way of eating and would love to continue, but would also like to include the fasting for health benefits.

Two days (and I think they can be spread out, not back to back) of 500 cals for women and 600 for men.

More info here:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/lifestyle/9480451/The-52-diet-can-it-help-you-lose-weight-and-live-longer.html
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
redd_angel55
Legendary Laner

Post by redd_angel55 »

Thank you! )t'
Slave to 3 children, 1 Greyhound, 1 Cat, 4 rescued hens and a very patient hubby x
R.I.P: Ellie, Phoebe, Tikka

Freshstart for hens collection point Aylesbury, Bucks
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Any one else still sticking with it?

Mrs Fab and my good self are still sticking with the 5:2 regime (5 days of 'normal eating with no calorie counting, 2 days of very restricted/low calorie intake).

The low calorie days don't really bother me at all and on the other days you can pretty much eat what you want and still not put on weight. But the real benefits come from giving your body as much of a rest from food (and alcohol of course if you drink) processing a couple of time a week. Some people have found they have no energy on the fast days but personally, I exercise (usually run 7 miles per day) as normal even on fast days.
Michael
Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

Oh yes! Still having 2 - 3 Down Days and great weekends - my full button now works properly, all the time! I don't crave sweet or fatty foods any more, not even chocolate or mashed potato!

I am also looking at about 3 inches off all the usual measurements and a drop of almost 3 dress sizes - I am probably not going to buy anything in size 16, at this rate that would be too expensive, so I'll wait until I get to size 14 :-D

fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Stef wrote:I am also looking at about 3 inches off all the usual measurements and a drop of almost 3 dress sizes

That's great, well done you! Let's keep this thread going over the next 6 months or so and see how things pan out for those sticking with this.
Michael
Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

That sounds like a challenge to me :-D

I'll happily pop in here and update, fingers crossed we all succeed in any big or little ways!

Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

I didn't find the article til after I'd read these posts and had got the wrong idea. we stretched our calories out over the whole of the two days - eating porridge and what WW call 'point free' meals (veg soups, stews & curries or ratatouillle etc - which we ate with a little rice or noodles) I lost 4lbs, but you always do at the beginning of any diet. Do you think this would have the same effect as the one-meal only?
Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

Well! :-D

It doesn't really matter when you eat the kcals on some versions and others have windows of opportunity! So it depends which version you take up.

I still do the easiest version, 500kcals of whatever, whenever on my Down Days and a not so very carefully watched 2000kcals of anything at all on my Up Days.

Having stalled a bit but am in no way put off. I am still really enjoying it. My only problem is I have anaemia and CFS and the clocks going back and the drop in temp have been a bit of a struggle. But I can live with the slower loss as usually I would gain at this time of year!

Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Hmmm, bit of a struggle this time of year for most of us, I think, so well done for sticking with it when others (me) would have given up. The thing I noticed was that you're supposed to limit the calories not the volume, so you could eat a tonne of 'free' green veg perhaps?
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Freeranger wrote:The thing I noticed was that you're supposed to limit the calories not the volume, so you could eat a tonne of 'free' green veg perhaps?

Mrs fab and I are sticking to it religiously. Agree it is not the volume but the calories that count. One of the meals we eat on our fast days is spicy tomato soup with lentils. We get a huge bowl each thatcis still only 250 cals. )t'
Michael
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

So you and Mrs F spread the calories across the day as well? Or do you have something with your vat of soup?