Any one sticking with the fasting regime?

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Re: Any one sticking with the fasting regime?

Post by fabindia »

Freeranger wrote:So you and Mrs F spread the calories across the day as well? Or do you have something with your vat of soup?

Mrs Fab does tend to have 100 cals in snacks during the day and then has either soup or a boiled egg with dry toast for supper.

I don't eat anything during the day and have just a very light meal in the evening. I am probably not eating enough during in my fast days and so will make a few adjustments over the next few weeks. I don't need to loose any more weight )t'
Michael
Meredith
Longlasting Laner

Post by Meredith »

I have been inadvertently fasting for years. I just can't stomach breakfast, so I naturally have an 8 hour feeding window. It works very well for me and I am delighted to find that after all these years of being told that breakfast is THE most important meal, there may be another way and it might just be healthy.

I am not sure I could manage the regime that Michael Mosely was on though.
Sunny Clucker welcome in Barnsley.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Meredith wrote:I am delighted to find that after all these years of being told that breakfast is THE most important meal, there may be another way and it might just be healthy.

I am sure there are as many opinions about diet as there are people on the planet. I guess one of the theories behind the 'breakfast is good for you' idea is that if you have something substantial, you are less likely to pick on during the day.

Personally, I am not sure that fasting, i.e. skipping 'break-fast' makes much difference to your energy levels. Overnight, your blood glucose level go right down (as those of you who have had glucose tolerance tests done at some point) but that doesn't mean your body won't get energy to your muscles if you exercise. On my fast days I run in the morning and then again home at night, which is then close to a 24 hour fast. I seem to run as well at at other times but I am basing this on how I feel not on any science.
Michael
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Week 1 - 4lbs. Week 2 - 3lbs. No ill effects for me, though OH has been feeling very tired and a bit of a headache.
wendy

Post by wendy »

We went to dinner with friends on Saturday.
She has battled with her weight for many years and has been on all the 'known' diet plans.
This time she had noticably lost weight, quite a bit, since we last saw her in May. When I said how good she is looking she said they both were on this fasting diet.
5.2, he looks really well and they both said it is easy to keep to and she said she is enjoying it.
May need to look into it, if I keep struggling.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

Well, I am feeling a bit smug, again, I hope you'll all please forgive me!

I chose to stop JUDDDing just before Christmas. I don't want to fail on this non diety thing so I decided to pre-empt disaster and just stop for a while.

I have NEVER been so happy to get back to work and happily re-started my 2 1/2 Down Days last week. I am already back to my pre-Christmas weight )t'

So next week I am looking for a 2lb loss, same for the week after. Then I'll be back at my old 'sticking point'. That is the weight I was at for years and years. When I was my largest in clothes size and when I was a fitness instructor and in much smaller clothes I always weighed the same!

So I suspect that I may have trouble getting down past it - or I could just scoot past it without noticing! The next 2 weeks will tell >fi<

>gl< to everyone else trying to lose themselves!
1 dumbo rat still without a name; 2 top eared rats Octavia and Ursula
1 Rhode Rock, 1 Sussex Star, 1 Blue Ranger - The New Monochrome Set

My crafty blog, it's Frugal too http://relovedremnants.blogspot.co.uk/
wendy

Post by wendy »

Good for you.
We started it about 5 weeks ago. OH has lost nearly a stone. I am stuggling more. But I think that is because he obviously ate more that 2000 calories a day and I didn't eat a great deal.
But since putting some on at Christmas I have lost about 5 lb and considering I do only have pounds to lose, rather than stones. I am prepared to carry on. I like the idea of not having to count, whatever, most of the time.

mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Where can I find out about the fasting diet, hubby has mentioned it and he has weight to lose as well, the idea of having something normal for a few days sounds good and 500cal for a couple of days not too bad. I have had a look on A/m/azon but there are more than one book, is it all the same regime. Would really like to know whether I need to buy a book, etc:
Stef
Legendary Laner

Post by Stef »

Oh the books are good if you want to read up on the science of it. But the calculator page of the JUDDD has almost everything you need to know.

I haven't read it but Michael Mosely's book is supposed to be a good read for men :-D I have Johnson's book as I started this ages before the TV programme and wanted to see the sources of the science and go to the journals myself.

There is NO SECRET nothing to buy or rules to stick to . Just work out your kcals and eat them - any food, any time, include alcohol, whatever you want! It is not a diet as such, it is a healthy way of eating to reduce other ills. Weight loss is a by product, hence there being so few food based rules.

http://www.johnsonupdaydowndaydiet.com/html/how-to-do-the-diet.html

You find that you start to eat more healthily as you go, it sort of sneaks up on you.

The important thing is to find the Down Day eating pattern that suits you best. I tend to eat just one meal, my tea. But that took a few weeks to work out!

Sorry, I still sound all evangelical, but it is the only 'diet' I have tried and I have found it very easy to fit in with my life and lose weight - slowly but regularly.
1 dumbo rat still without a name; 2 top eared rats Octavia and Ursula
1 Rhode Rock, 1 Sussex Star, 1 Blue Ranger - The New Monochrome Set

My crafty blog, it's Frugal too http://relovedremnants.blogspot.co.uk/
wendy

Post by wendy »

I have bought the book by Dr Michael Mosley and yes it is good. From Amazon.

julieann
Legendary Laner

Post by julieann »

My son has been having fasting days for about 8-10 weeks now, inspired by Mosely and Ghandi he says. He doesn't weigh himself and is a fit person, he runs and goes to the gym. Because he doesn't weigh himself i have no idea how much he's lost but his trousers are very loose, ( note for him to be careful about that especially if running {rofwl} ) and you can see his shape has changed, fiance says she fancies him even more now! maybe too much info there :oops: Fiance is now going to try it to see what happens. My son says he feels good and fasting makes no difference to his exercise, regime, he is still able to do it and feels well; I was worried about fasting and running etc being bad for him.
Julie x
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

The 5:2 approach has been become part of our lifestyle now so we don't even think about it now. I lost about 7 lbs at the start but my weight has now stablished. No. Noticeable lack of energy, still run 7.5 miles Every day Monday to Friday.
Michael
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

I have just got a book re: the 5/2 diet, and going to check it out, I need to lose weight still and would hope this sort of diet woud do it without the boredom of other diets, know wendy has said she and Spencer have lost weight.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

mrs boodles wrote:without the boredom of other diets, know wendy has said she and Spencer have lost weight.

I say go for it. Most weight reduction diets are based on cutting down on calories plus exercise. The beauty of the 5:2 approach is that you don't count calories at all 5 days a week and are just really carefully on 2 days, which makes it far easier than counting calories, sins or points as some commercial diets do.
Michael
wendy

Post by wendy »

It is so much easier. But I have now stopped losing weight. Which is frustrating.
I think I have had a slightly reduced calorie intake for some time. So eating, how I would like on the eat days is not helping. Plus the fact I only have about another 5lb I would like to go.
I wish they had put something about it in the book, as like any weight loss diet, you seem to plateau once you get near the weight you want to be.
I need to rethink either not eat anything I like on those days, not eat lunch on those days or fast an extra day. Don't know which would be the right way to go.
Spencer is still doing OK.