Light boxes, do they work?

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Light boxes, do they work?

Post by Meanqueen »

Every Autumn I start wishing my life away, wanting to hibernate till the spring, those awful long nights, very depressing. :cry: Last year I started reading up about SAD Seasonally Affected Disorder, and thought, that's what I've got, there's not enough daylight in my life.

I wondered about those light boxes that simulate the sun, ))sun they seem very compact to carry around. I have read up ^b: on lots of reviews and they all say how good they are and that they work. Has anyone tried one, do they really do what they say, make you feel better :-D or is it all in the mind, like a placebo pill? They are a bit expensive, pity you can't get one to try out first.

There are some here
light boxes

Ilona
Effie
Legendary Laner

Post by Effie »

My Mum used one when she first went back to work after nearly two years off with ME. She did use a lot of alternative therapies but has stuck with the lamps. She also has 'day light' bulbs fitted in the kitchen so it is always really bright in there.

She lent me hers to use last winter when I was studying but I actually found it too bright 8)

It is now sitting in the garage, gathering dust. I would suggest trying before you buy, it really didn't suit me. I'll ask her if it's available for you to borrow, but postage could be a bit of a nightmare.

I don't get too down in winter, I just go into a semi-hibernation and eat too much :shock:

Interesting to hear what others think, Effie
" -zere isn't much to do 'ere, unless you like cooking and chickens!"
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

My daughter has a lumie 100 alarm clock that wakes her by gradually brightening.
She bought it because she found it hard to sleep in summer, so improved her curtains to give a better blackout. The light wakes you up gently, as normal sunlight would, not jolts you awake like a raucous alarm clock. That has a daylight bulb, though she doesn't use it specifically for that.

I notice that they also make a version for babies and toddlers to help them establish a good sleep rythmn.
sharon the chauffeur
Longlasting Laner

Post by sharon the chauffeur »

Mo i hear these do work, but so overpriced, i wish there was a cheaper version
sunny skies
Learner Laner

Post by sunny skies »

Hi Mo

When I first arrived in the UK (I'm from SA), second winter around I bought an SAD alarm clock (I think your daughter's might have an SAD setting on it too - you can manually adjust the clock so that the brightest setting stays on until you switch it off).

I found them very expensive and the results weren't drastic enough to justify that cost. Just replacing the actual lightbulbs almost broke my budget! However I did find the alarm clock quite good as I think it's much better to wake up gently and as naturally as possible, and also the "sunset" setting can help prepare you for sleep. (And it should have a buzzer in case you don't wake up!)

I know this might sound controversial but in winter I generally resort to blitzing myself on sunbeds say once a month for about 3 minutes at a time (I really, really don't know how people do it for longer - I hate to state the obvious but they're *hot*!!!) :shock: This has the benefit of thawing me out and giving me a dose of UV rays (although I put loads of sunblock on - I do it as responsibly as I can) and it just perks me up.

Having said all that I always say with "complementary" therapies, each to their own - so maybe it will work wonders for you. My mother for example only sees a homeopath, whereas, although we were raised on homeopathy, I find it does nothing for me and I prefer aromatherapy. You might want to try buying something like orange oil or some of the other citrusy ones and put a few drops in a burner or put maybe 3 drops in your bath. I think the trick with winter is attacking the sadness on many sides. Even buying lovely winter clothes has made me feel better about getting up in the morning. Previously I wouldn't shop much for winter clothes as the season just depresses me, and then because I didn't have anything nice to wear I just got even more depressed! So now I make more effort.

The best advice I can offer really is to find a totally gripping TV series or series of books that will keep you hooked and will give you something to look forward to each night!!! We did Twin Peaks one year and the winter gave me no trouble. Although I had nightmares! :shock:

But also, to be honest, you're not the only one who tends to hibernate - I think it's a normal reaction to want to sleep a bit more and although you should keep an eye on yourself and make sure you're not over-sleeping or sleeping your life completely away, I think going to bed a little earlier doesn't really harm.
BigMeanUglyOgre
Lively Laner

Post by BigMeanUglyOgre »

Rather than going complex, look for simple solutions. The simplest and most effective that I've found is to buy 5 or 6 Daylight LightBulbs. They do the trick and you realize it the moment you flip the light switch.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I'm a bit confused Big, what is a Daylight lightbulb :? an ordinary one? How much are they? Do you have to have 5 or 6 all on at the same time? In the same room or different rooms? Do they use much electricity? I am a bit mean you know, like to keep my bills low. If it will make a difference I'd like to know more. :-D

Ilona
^b:
BigMeanUglyOgre
Lively Laner

Post by BigMeanUglyOgre »

@Mean

Daylight lightbulbs:
-use less energy than normal lightbulbs. They're about on par with energy savers.
-Can be purchased at your local art store, photography store, or over the net.
-aren't horribly expensive. I'm trying to remember how much mine were. They were like a pound a piece if my memory isn't failing me.
-are interchangeable with other mainstream lighbulbs (i.e. can be plugged into lamps, etc.)
-Are most frequently used by artists to make certain that their lighting is natural.
-reproduce the same light frequencies as those produced by the sun. This results in a blue light. Most lightbulbs produce a yellowish light.

Basically, their good for energy, good for the eyes and allow you to have a rough equivalent of daylight while you're inside. As SAD in part is because of a reduction of adequate sunlight, daylight lightbulbs can be very helpful with this.

I used to use them just for my painting and photography but have started spreading them around the house. You asked a question about how many to use and in what configuration. Basically this is on a person to person basis. I tend to only use one per room and space them out in the rooms that I frequent most. This more than likely would be sufficient for most. However, some people may be more susceptable to SAD and may have to use 2 lightbulbs. It just depends on you and how you are.

Hope this helps. Just Google "Daylight lightbulb".
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Thanks very much Big, I didn't know all that. I will have to look for them and give it a try, I'll report back later.

Ilona
)t'
heebiejeebie
Lively Laner

Post by heebiejeebie »

I have a Lumie alarm clock too - it's great in winter. I actually wake up instead of just get up!
There's no cure for stupidity.
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

I tried a lightbox about 10 years ago, I have to say it was very hard to use, you had to sit 15" away for so long, and it didn't do much good.
Luckily I'd got it on a trial, you had it for a month and if it didn;t work you sent it back and got a refund.

I do better in the winter now, definitely get out for a walk every day, and I eat more healthily, I have to fight the urge to eat a lot of stodge at this time of year, I'm sure lots of heavy food just makes you more "down".
Morgs
Lively Laner

Post by Morgs »

Oh meanqueen, I know exactly how you feel. When I get up in the mornings lately, it feels like the world has forgotten to wake up cos it's so dark!! I can't bear it. I'm thinking about getting one of those daylight alarm clocks...

I am outside every day - doing chooks, walking dog and walking to work and Im convinced that helps a bit. I am dreading the clocks going back though....
It's better to be looked over, than overlooked!
ntcrane
Learner Laner

Post by ntcrane »

I have the visor rather than the box so you can put it on when getting breakfast ready.

I use the sunrise alarm clock and the visor when i am feeling down in winter - but i find what helps me most is taking St Johns Wort and making sure i get out as much as possible through winter.

Actually what helps most is going away on holiday in the winter rather than summer - so our family fortnight in Portugal this January is strictly medicinal! )t'
Niel
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

Maybe the NHS should do a cost analysis- give everyone the cost of a sunshine break in the winter versus the cost of treating everyone's ills and depression?
Hawthorn
Lively Laner

Post by Hawthorn »

I had a chat with my psychiatrist about this a few weeks ago :)

His idea was that they are certainly effective for some folk, but not for others. As they aren't available on the NHS, he recommended hiring one to see if it suited, then purchasing the best you could afford, if it was effective.

There is also evidence to suggest that vitamin D supplements are helpful in treating this, but this is in other countries. You need to take a hefty dose - far more than is recommended in this country, and best avoided if you suffer from kidney stones or the like.

It might be worth researching that too - I can't remember where I read it now.
There's a lot of conflicting evidence out there with this one.
'Some family trees are full of nuts'