Shhhhhhh.....

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
saint-spoon

Re: Shhhhhhh.....

Post by saint-spoon »

bmpsands wrote:I'm another ex-heavy smoker. At my peak (?) I could get through 40 a day. I tried cutting down, as others have said, but honestly found that cold turkey was the way to go.

Many ex-smokers tell me that they didn't really experience many side effects but there is always one cigarette that is hardest to give up. Mine was the after-dinner one.

I was at least 20 a day most days 25-30 unless I was out on the ale in which case it was 40-60+ a day.
My most missed smoke was the one when I was bored whilst fishing (which is often TBH), it is the only time that I ever have any yearnings these days and they soon pass. Well done for another day Lucy keep it up, not long until it's a week and then not long until it's two weeks , then a month and then another and soon it'll be a year (at our age the years fly by don't they). BTW the nicotine has all left your body so you can't have any withdrawal symptoms any more other than ones in your head. Your body is already starting to repair itself and you are already less likely to have a smoking related heart attack than you were a day ago. After a year or so you will be 50% less likely and after 5 years you’ll be no more likely than if you had never smoked. )t'
Bah Humbug
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Still haven't had one although I so nearly caved in and bought some this morning - my most missed one is the first one of the day, normally around 8.30 when they've all gone off to work/school but I made myself a smoothie instead :-D

Nick has noticed I haven't had one - he said he got into bed and wasn't confronted by fag breath :oops:
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Good point Nick… just think in the Mornings Lucy, you didn’t need a ciggie all through the night so you don’t need one now. I used the Nicorette gum for a little bit, it helped when I was in the pub but I started on the lowest level and only put it in my mouth for a little while and then took it out. I used to put it in a little plastic fishing weight box I had and reuse the same bit all night… it was then I realised that it was more the habit thing because there wasn’t any nicotine left in the gum I was just putting in my mouth for comfort. Keep it up Lucy xx
Bah Humbug
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Keep it up, Lucy!

My mum and dad were both smokers but decided to give up a few years ago, the first week was the hardest but they both said after that it got much easier.
Our house smells a lot nicer too! {rofwl}
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Well done Lucy (can I call you that now?). I love some of the posts on this thread. The one from saint spoon would have helped me, but you're obviously also finding your own motivation.

Way to go! Feeling smug yet????
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
wendy

Post by wendy »

I gave up in 1973 and was on about 30 a day.
Cold turkey, as that was all there was. I missed it most when out, I didn't know what to do with my hands :? I picked my nose a lot that helped keep them busy {rofwl} {rofwl} {rofwl}
After many, many years I could smell a newly lit cigarette and think that smells good...... Until we had the smoking ban. So I am hardly ever around smoke now. When I walk past, the outcasts outside building etc. The smell now turns me over. So I think I have truly kicked the habit.
Keep it up Lucy you are doing so well, and we are all proud of you. {hug}
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Still haven't had one )t'

The kids have now noticed and they'll kill me if I start again so I guess that's it. It really is SO hard though - can't tell you how many times I've got my keys to go and buy some. It makes me realise how much a creature of habit I am - the odd times that I really miss it. When I get in my car is another one (sometimes I just go out for a drive to have a ciggy in peace!). Got in my car this morning and realised how much it stank yike*

Half way to my new pandora charm )c(
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Well done Lucy, you're doing grand )t' )c( )c(

I'm so made up for you )c( )c(
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Well done Lucy )c( you've got people up and down the country rooting for you.
You Can Do It )t' )t'
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

You need to make a decision about the smell in the car. Either it smells so horrible that it acts as a deterrent or it reminds you of smoking in which case the care needs a good airing through and some sharp smell (like Olbas or eucalyptus) or your favourite essential oil if you're into that stuff.

I remember opening the wardrobe door and realising how manky all my clothes smelt. The dry cleaner made a fortune and the washing machine ran continuously for a couple of days.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

Mad Chick wrote:Half way to my new pandora charm )c(

Are you putting the cigarette money in a jar so you can watch it mount up?
)t'
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

Well done.
What a brilliant idea to reward yourself with the pandora charms. - I wish I had something to give up so that I could accumulate treats money. --I know, how much less food will I be buying when I get on the diet!

Yeah thanks Mad Chick you are an inspiration. )t'
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

I missed this when you posted originally. Well done!! Best of luck for keeping it up x
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

I missed this post too. Well done Lucy, hope it's still going well.

I've never smoked so I've no idea how hard it is to actually give up but I know enough people who have tried to know it doesn't seem to be easy {hug}
Lyn

Post by Benny&Co »

How's it going Lucy? 11 days now.... >fi< )c( )c(

I remember the days when smoking was allowed in pubs/clubs and that horrible smell you'd get in your hair the morning after )loo(
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.