Taste and appetite change after illness......

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Taste and appetite change after illness......

Post by Benny&Co »

I was very poorly over Christmas, with the most awful tummy bug I've ever had {cry} For instance I can't remember the last time I had an episode of vomiting and usually have a cast iron constitution! )t'

I've noticed since, that my appetite isn't as good as what it used to be and as some of you know I absolutely love all things food, cooking, eating, talking about it!

Yesterday I made a sandwich with turkey, mini gherkins, mayo and a bit of S&P, something I've never had before....

Anyone else noticed this, following a bug?

I have been feeling really low as well, but guess that's to be expected {cry}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Re: Taste and appetite change after illness......

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

I had full-blown flu with a horrid stomach bug on top of it, just before my youngest daughter was born. I was so ill for the last month of being pregnant & the first couple of weeks after she was born. It was a good couple of months before I got my appetite back properly - nothing tasted quite right, or I'd make things & then not want to eat them when it was done.

I hope you're back to normal soon Bev.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Thanks LBFroggy {hug} {hug}

That's exactly it - I've made things and then found I can't finish them too.
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Its quite common to suffer these after effects and your appetite and taste buds will restore soon enough. Try sticking to fresh tasting foods for example fruit and salads - though its not exactly salad time with all this cold and damp about. Give yourself smaller portions than usual then you won't feel you have to keep on eating just because their is still food on your plate. Oh and I would limit the tea/coffee intake too as these drinks can fill you up and diminsh your appetite too.
Ironic isn't it that the rest of us are trying to reduce our food intake to shed the Christmas excess pounds ?
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Thanks Annie.

That'd usually be me too with the weight after Christmas, mind you, I've nearly put everything that I lost back on. Ah well!

I love salad, bit mad like that, so tonight I'm going to have a yummy prawn and smoked salmon salad )eat(

I'm not too bad on the tea/coffee front, I'll maybe have two or three at the most cups a day. Tend to drink water most of the time, sometimes with a splash of fruit juice.

Recently got myself some herbal 'sleep' tea which I may have before bedtime.
Bev x

albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I'm so sorry that you have been unwell with that awful tummy bug. It does knock the stuffing out of you but you should get back to enjoying your food gradually. It might help to take the propbiotic drinks each day to get the right balance back into your stomach. These are one thing that do help me.
I hope you will soon be better Bev. LOL {hug}
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Thank you June {hug}

Yes it's really knocked my stuffing out has this.

Just thinking I've nursed kiddywinks with norovirus, rotavirus and such - even when everyone around me has been struck by it and wards closing down, to be unaffected!

I got myself some of the probiotic drinks and have been taking them )t' :-D
Bev x

Jenny
Lively Laner

Post by Jenny »

When I gave birth to my daughter, after a nightmare of going from a local hospital, failure to progress, transfer to large hospital I ended up having an emergency c section. I then developed an infection and raging temperature. After about 8 or 9 days I was feeling better and wandered off the patient’s rest room for a coffee, which I was really looking forward to. It smelt and tasted disgusting (nothing to do with the coffee just me). Funnily enough I did not have another coffee for 2 years as it still smelt disgusting. I did however get the taste back shortly after I had my son.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Benny - I know exactly how you feel as until I made huge strides this week, I was much the same. Stuff I always liked just seemed bluurgh - and I am still not really drinking alcohol!

I have really forced myself to eat stuff, like it or not, and my daughter bought me some whizzy multi vits. Seems to be doing the trick - I had a delivery curry yesterday and it actually tasted goooo..oood!!

It is a worry though as you need to eat lots to get better quickly. Have you thought about a tonic? they seem to increase appetite too. {hug}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Stepson has only just got his taste back after ten months' chemo. I'm diabetic, and can go off stuff at the drop of a hat. Current yuk is fish. Hope your insides settle down and you are back to normal soon, Bev.
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

I'm not sure but when I'm ill I always get cravings for tomatoes and bread sticks :?
I never eat bread sticks at any other time and although I usually do eat tomatoes I go through tons when I'm ill {rofwl}
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

OH and I are both off quite a lot of foods at the moment - we have both been feeling very tired, so are porobably fighting some strange bug or other. When I go shopping I look at all the different foods and can't decide what (if anything) I fancy eating for dinner. Neither of us can face the thought of anything rich or creamy, and nothing tastes of much. Have been eating a lot of soup.
For the first time in about a month, this week I enjoyed a bowl of chilli, so things are on the up. Hope they are for eveyone else, too.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Are you back to normal yet, Bev, or is this still a problem?
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

I was always a red wine drinker. I got a horrible bout of flu over Easter a couple of years ago and since then I haven't been able to touch it - most distressing!
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Thanks all of you, things are much better now and dare I say I think my appetite has pretty much returned to normal.

I've started taking a daily probiotic drink again and I think that's helped.

:-D
Bev x