Doctor's Orders

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Americanlady
Lively Laner

Doctor's Orders

Post by Americanlady »

I went to my semi-annual doctor's appointment yesterday, following a visit to the lab for blood testing. For 4 or 5 years my weight has been pretty stable, around 145-150 lbs. Now, I know I'm overweight (5 ft. 2 in tall), but he never said anything about it before.

Yesterday he told me, in no uncertain terms, that I need to lose at least 10 pounds, and wants to see me in April. Also, I was told to restrict my sugar/glucose intake because I am only 1 point below diabetes. Well, Okay!

My stationary bicycle, which has been living in the storage shed for several years, is now living in my bedroom. I actually used it last night, and boy am I sore today. Onward and upward. I also tried my first diet Pepsi today. It's not bad. Tomorrow I'm going to try to find some sugar-free chocolates. Those two things are my main sugary foods.

My point here, dear friends, is that diabetes is nothing to mess around with. I have been warned and I WILL do my part to get this under control. Not scared, but very aware.
manda

Re: Doctor's Orders

Post by manda »

Good on you American Lady....you're right Diabetes is nothing to mess about ...but maybe your Doc could have said something a bit earlier....I thought prevention was better than cure >coc<
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Americanlady
Lively Laner

Post by Americanlady »

You'rel absolutely right, Manda. If he had told me sooner, I would have taken responsibility sooner. But, no time like the present.
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

God for you )t' More people should be aware of taking responsibility for their own health and not just rely on doctors to pick up the pieces.I think because we have a national health service people dont look after themselves the way they should in this country. :oops:
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!
Americanlady
Lively Laner

Post by Americanlady »

i agree, Madmun. When I was younger, I didn't take very good care of myself, but now I know I have a huge investment in doing what's smart in being healthy. How does that saying go? "Too soon old and too late smart!" Applies to a lot of us, huh.
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Bit of a shock when your doctor starts about diabetes, when I had some bloods done last year my blood sugar was up so had to have a glucose tolerance test, came back ok but have to have it done every year to check have`nt tipped over to diabetes, luckily know signs of this illness so and trying to take care of mysef a bit better, should do anyway with the COPD. Hope all goes ok, good luck with your exercise bike.
Americanlady
Lively Laner

Post by Americanlady »

Thanks, Mrs. Boodles. By the way, my dear, we have a lot in common. I, too, have COPD. It's a pain, isn't it!
perchy

Post by perchy »

Good luck American lady, we will be here for you if you need to rant, ten mins a day on the bike? better than no minutes I have found diabetic chocolate etc to be expensive, maybe googgle alternatives?

Join our positive weight thread you will be welcome {hug}
Americanlady
Lively Laner

Post by Americanlady »

I will, Perchy, and thanks, very much.
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Well done for taking your doctors advice AL, we're always here for support any time you need a chat {hug}
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
wendy

Post by wendy »

Yes diabetes isn't to be taken lightly. We have a history of it in the family. Grand mother died through it. No insulin in those days.
A nephew, who is 54 has had it since he was 18. Both sisters insulin dependant.
One now walks with two sicks and uses a mobility buggy. I do NOT want to go there.
That is another reason I am a bit neurotic about my weight. It can bring so many other problems along with it.
You now you have had a warning, albeit a bit late from your GP, so now is the time to get it in hand. Never too late to try.
Best to try to wean yourself from the sweet things and slowly try to tail them off and only an occassional treat now and again.
We are lucky as everytime I see Margaret I get her to test my sugar levels. At Christmas we all had it done. Me, our son and the OH.
Good Luck with your task.
{hug}
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Thank goodness you can do something about it, A L. My friend was diagnosed a couple of months ago, she was offered medication but has elected to cut out all sugar and excercise more to try and control it. She is doing wonderfully well and feeling a lot better. Good luck to you )t'
Ilona
Americanlady
Lively Laner

Post by Americanlady »

Thanks all for the advice. I was just about to ask for some. MRs. Boodles, what are the signs you watch for? Two of my old friends had some bad experiences with their diabetes; one went blind, and the other had to have his foot amputated. I do know how horribly serious the disease can be. Reckon I need to do some research about it. Thanks so much for the support you have offered. It really means a lot.
perchy

Post by perchy »

Americanlady wrote:Thanks all for the advice. I was just about to ask for some. MRs. Boodles, what are the signs you watch for? Two of my old friends had some bad experiences with their diabetes; one went blind, and the other had to have his foot amputated. I do know how horribly serious the disease can be. Reckon I need to do some research about it. Thanks so much for the support you have offered. It really means a lot.

Have a {hug}
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

Don't know if there is any evidence for it, but an old Tai Chi teacher of mine reckoned his wife, newly diagnosed with diabetes, controlled it by doing Tai Chi every day. It is slow and gentle, and would not affect your COPD so may be worth a look.