Core balancing classes

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
saint-spoon

Core balancing classes

Post by saint-spoon »

Wisely or not I have signed up for a core balance class this lunchtime and really don’t know what I have let myself in for. (Actually I haven’t really signed up for it, a couple of the office though that we’d pop across and see what it’s all about so it amounts to the same thing as signing up.) It probably involves big inflatable rubber balls and lots of falling off (by me) if I’m guessing correctly. If it’s any good I shall endeavour to attend regularly from now on. I shall let you know how many bruises I have accrued and how much fun it was later xx :?
Bah Humbug
wendy

Post by wendy »

Good for you, you body is a machine and if you don't use it, it will stop moving.
I go to pilates twice a week and that really is about getting your inner core muscles strong.
We both go and love it, it has made a great difference to our suppleness and strength as well as our posture. If it is the same, I am sure you will benefit greatly. Let us know how it goes.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

ow... that bloody hurt. I'll be going again next week though and yes it is the same thing. I've got spin biking this lunchtime which should be exhausting.
Bah Humbug
wendy

Post by wendy »

Not into bike spinning. Glad you enjoyed it, it does get eassier.
Wendy

saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

It doesn’t help that I spend an hour in the gym every morning before work (it’s quieter then and there are less fit folk to point and laugh at me and my feeble attempts at fitness) and therefore the only break my poor old muscles get is over the weekends. Oh well I could stop if I really wanted to but it does help one sleep at night.
Bah Humbug
wendy

Post by wendy »

I think you should rest your muscles on different days. Not nothing for two days then hell for leather the rest of the time :shock: . Certainly with the core work you should have 24 hours at least before doing the exercises again.
Wendy

saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

I do vary my morning’s regime from day to day to work different bits and bobs; mainly I do CV stuff and throw weights and other activities in between depending on the day. I take two days off over the weekend which seems to work for me at the mo. I also listen to my body, if I have over done it one day I rest a bit the next to let it all get back to normal. If I didn’t do anything I wouldn’t be able to drink as much beer without ballooning
)j; )sm(
Bah Humbug
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

I think digging my garden (full of clay and stones) taking the dog for a walk and horse riding for 2 hours would be much better for you! Oh and a bit of poo picking to strengthen the back. All in the fresh air, well part from the smell of pigs and slurry but that clears your airways.
Morgs
Lively Laner

Post by Morgs »

I go to the gym, walk to work (15 mins each way) and walk the (arthritic) dog. I have started pilates but I can't get the hang of it- it never hurts afterwards (I mean the right sort of hurt - the muscle soreness in yr tummy), so I know I'm not doing it right.

I am a prime example of over-exercising - I am a lesson to everyone who over-exercises ...spent years running, aerobics, combat classes, toning and weights classes and now I am in pain every day with sciatica and osteo-arthritis......always listen to your body - I never did, I just kept exercising thru the pain like an idiot. Hence the pilates - recommended by physio. I am now nicely rounded, putting weight on every month and miserable!!! :cry:
taff
Longlasting Laner

Post by taff »

Morgs wrote:I go to the gym, walk to work (15 mins each way) and walk the (arthritic) dog. I have started pilates but I can't get the hang of it- it never hurts afterwards (I mean the right sort of hurt - the muscle soreness in yr tummy), so I know I'm not doing it right.

Maybe after years of not doing it right, now you are, hence the no hurting?
I thought it was supposed to be a whole body thing, with not doing too much, or straining to do something, hence the no hurting?
After years of doing all that exercise, I'd imagine your muscles are pretty much in shape anyway.
to err is human..to moo, bovine...
wendy

Post by wendy »

The days of no pain no gain. Have gone.
They have realised people hurt themselves as they worked through the pain, thus causing damage.
Wendy
PS with weight it is input and output. Usually you can't only control the output.......unfortunatley
Wendy

saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Another week another set of exercises. Did half an hour CV followed by a few weights and a lot of maintenance stretches to stop the old joints from seizing up. Funnily I am really looking forward to Pilates tomorrow lunchtime, not sure about spin biking on Thursday; the jury’s still out on that one.
Bah Humbug
Morgs
Lively Laner

Post by Morgs »

Spin is fantastic! I used to do it loads - it's the best workout in the world - promise! Doesn't place strain on your joints either....go for it!
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I am baffled by some of the words in these posts :cry: What is : core balance class? spin biking? inner core muscles? CV stuff? Perhaps someone could enlighten me :-D

I have always been pretty fit, my work being quite physical at times, I used to go to the gym but don't think I need to now. My excercise is mainly walking a lot, and cycling sometimes. Should I be doing some of the above ?

Ilona
wendy

Post by wendy »

Well I can't tell you of the others although I know of them. Core balancing exercises was the brain child of Josef Pilates and that is why they are named such. All exercises are designed to make you work using you core muscles those in the middle of your body, thus protecting your back etc.. We both have worked with weights in the past, but I again worked through a pain and ended up with a frozen shoulder and still have problems with it now.
Look it up of t'internet you should get a much better idea.
It really is a great way of exercising. You start off fairly easy, but it does get to be areobic eventually. Especially if you have a small class and the trainer can see what you are doing and correct you if you have a hand/foot in the wrong place. It also exercises your brain as you have to breathe correctly and make sure hands and feet are correct.
We love it.
Wendy