Core balancing classes

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Morgs
Lively Laner

Post by Morgs »

Spinning is a stationary bike class - you get on a bike and adjust the gears so it's like yr going uphill or downhill. You do different sections to fast music - racing, hill riding, up out of the saddle for steep hills etc. In my gym they do it to strobe lights etc - great fun and a fab calories burner. CV exercise is cardio-vascular - i.e. it makes you breathless, burns calories etc.

I don't think anybody needs to do any of the above if they are of average weight and they walk plenty. It's mainly for people whose day to day work prevents them from getting exercise I guess, or people who are trying to lose weight. I have to say, it did wonders for me when I was going thru a very bad patch emotionally - the gym kept me sane, filled up a couple of hours in the evening, got me out to meet people and kept me away from needing anti depressants (or alcohol!!). I wouldn't be without it.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

That's all very interesting. Wendy, I have a book out of the library about pilates, I must read it. My friend goes to classes, I said I would join her when she starts the new term, she says you really need to have a teacher, it's not something you can do yourself.

The spinning sounds fun, Morgs, but I'm not sure I want to get breathless. I am more a steady plodder, I like the treadmill, walking and running, keep it at a steady pace and I can keep going for ages. I would rather walk for 5 miles than run for 1 mile. I used to do walking holidays hostel to hostel carrying backpack, 100 miles, I loved it. Not sure if I could do that now.

Ilona
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Top tip for potential spin-bikers….
Ensure that you know how to work the resistance mechanism properly or else you end up like I did yesterday and over do the old legs work out. I was a bit stiff this morning (my legs were). I’ll still go again next week, it kills an hour at lunchtime.
Bah Humbug
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

High powered crew at the core stability class today, a european boxing champion (at her own particular weight) and an olympic sailing lady (who was in Bejing). The boxing lady is the instructor and the sailing lady fell off nearly as much as me.
Bah Humbug