PAINFUL RIGHT WRIST

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
urbanchicks
Longlasting Laner

PAINFUL RIGHT WRIST

Post by urbanchicks »

I thought I'd ask if any of you are experiencing the same, one of the wrist bones on my right hand is very swollen most of the time the pain during the night is excruciating and makes me cry out, the wrist is so painful I cannot lift the alarm clock and next morning the kettle!After a few hours the pain dissipates,some days I take Ibo brufen but don't want to do this every day,I am thinking it might be repetative strain injury or just old age arthritis?.I never worked much with computers until I retired 10 years ago,spend a lot of time on computer now though,I was a theatre nurse for 3o+years,so have used my right hand passing thousands of instruments to surgeons etc, also opened hundreds of tins of animal food for my many pets and for the last 10 years for the cattery boarders,also the hundreds of litter trays to fill and clean.Other than this problem my bones are fairly fit, apart from bad back problem.I would be grateful for any replies.

Maggie.
wendy

Re: PAINFUL RIGHT WRIST

Post by wendy »

Not repetative strain is it ?
I have to use the mouse in my left hand, because of it.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Sounds like to much time spent playing on the 'puter to me )t'
Dom
Ali Woks My World
fishpond
Legendary Laner

Post by fishpond »

Get a graphics tablet and put the mouse away. :-D
Also download a free computer timer that you can set to remind you when 30-45 mins is up and time to go for a break.
Last edited by fishpond on 05 Mar 2013, 18:55, edited 1 time in total.
No problem can withstand the power of continuous thought.
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

How about trying ibuprofen gel to rub on rather than taking the tabs? Much kinder to the stomach.
urbanchicks
Longlasting Laner

Post by urbanchicks »

Thank you i will take all your comments on board. )t'

Maggie
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Whatever the cause Maggie, do try and support it in some way and rub in the gel. It does help, altholugh in truth, I have found that when in very severe pain, nothing actually takes it away. Just relieves it a bit. When I had such pain before my hips were done, I did find that something like co-codimol taken last thing at night, helped me to sleep.
It may be arthritis, which is a dreadful pain and can be caused through wear and tear. I can't use my right thumh for this reason. My sister had carpel tunnel in her wrist and also suffered bad pain.
You know yourself, that you probably need an Xray on it, so the quicker you get to your doc, the better. The longer you leave , the worse it will get {hug&kiss} {hug&kiss} .
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

You could also try a keyboard rest (rolled up hand towel) under your wrist. But none of our suggestions take into account that it's worse at night - inflammation + heat, maybe? Or do you lie on it funny? Sounds like a trip to see one of your ex-colleagues might be called for....
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Along with all the other suggestions Maggie, you might want to consider trying an ice pack as well where it's sore.

Some ice cubes wrapped in a towel might help. You could try alternating with a heat pack/hot water bottle but please do make sure your skin temperature has returned to normal - I made this mistake once and burnt my skin.

That's interesting you've been a theatre nurse for so long :-D

I have a sore wrist, but it's my left one. It often clicks at night time for some reason.
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

If it doesn't go away try the doctors