anyone allergic to wasp stings?

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
kitla
Legendary Laner

anyone allergic to wasp stings?

Post by kitla »

dh was one of the many that got bad hayfever for the first time this year so has been taking antihistamines for a few weeks. I don't know if there's a connection but when
he got stung on the arm by a wasp a couple of weeks ago his arm swelled quite a bit.
Yesterday he got stung again - same arm & today his arm & hand swelled so much
he went to the chemist & they sent him straight to A&E where he was given strong antibiotics, strong antihistamines, paracetemol, ibroprufane & a sling. If it swells
any more I will have to rush him back there incase his skin breaks. No other advice
or information was given.
Now I've been giving him icepacks, & alovera & it seems to be calming down, if
there's anyone here that suffers in this way can you suggest anything else that helps?
I'm a bit worried that he may now develop a full blown allergic reaction next time
has anyone had this happen? I'd been interested to hear about it.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
julie62
Legendary Laner

Re: anyone allergic to wasp stings?

Post by julie62 »

Touchwood I've never been stung by a wasp as far as I know but I get a very bad allergic reaction to mosquito bites and have had to have antibiotics in the past when anti-histamines haven't done the trick. I got stung by a horsefly once and my arm swelled up like a balloon and went black - that was horrible. I know you can develop allergies later on in life so maybe that's what's happened. Can he remember being stung by wasps in the past? If anything I would have expected the anti-histamines to reduce the reaction to a sting not make it worse.

Hope he's ok - at least you got the right treatment - you cant be too careful with things like that. I've had a couple of holidays spoilt in the past with mosquito bites - it's not nice.
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Julie, he's had waspstings before but never reacted to them. I feel our immune systems
are quite complex & taking antihistamines for a long time may affect it somehow,
after all an allergy is our system over reacting isn't it?
I had a weird allergy years ago, in desperation I saw a brilliant homeopathist & she
got rid of it but I didn't keep going (to expensive) & it came back when I was expecting
second ds, he then developed weird allergy like symptoms & odd health problems as a toddler that the dr couldn't explain, so I found another really good h/p & it all just
went away! Shame that h/p has left to train as homeopathic gp or I'd take my hubby to her.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

My Dad developed an allergy to wasp stings gradually over the years. His reactions got worse each time and once he collapsed and was only just treated in time. Now he wears an epipen at all times to use if stung. But he doesn't take any other medications, antihistamines would not be strong enough to deal with the reaction now.

An allergy like this is too dangerous to wish away so get some proper medical advice.
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

This is what I'm afraid of Homeade, I'm surprised a&e didn't suggest it. We're on hols
tomorrow night, I think I'll locate their local dr before we go, just incase.
--Immanuel Kant
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

kitla wrote:dh was one of the many that got bad hayfever for the first time this year so has been taking antihistamines for a few weeks. I don't know if there's a connection

Personally, I wouldn't have thought there was a connection. Usually, if you have an allergy, you take antihistamines.They should help not hinder.

Allergies though are strange things. I was 30 before I got hayfever (starts June when grass comes into flower and ends end of July as the grass dies back) and was so bad I got asthma attacks, nose ran like a tap and eyes became glued together overnight. I took antihistamines, an inhaler, the works. But over the past few years, I have seem to have grown out of it - aged 60! I still get slightly itchy eyes after a day in the garden cutting the grass but nothing like what it was, and I don't take anything for it now.

On the subject of wasp stings, I have had several nasty encounters with wasps. I once got over a 100 stings, all over my body, when I disturbed a large nest in a ditch along side our house and repeated the performance a few years later. Painful at the time but it would seem I am not allergic to them. Though painful short-term, I would rather be stung by a wasp than bitten by a mosquito, where the effect lasts for days.
Michael
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

dh decided to visit the dr today to be on the safe side. We're pleased he doesn't
need an epipen, they think this reaction is a bit of a build up effect from the hayfever
& the last sting he got. Just no more peering into wasp nests trying to take a photo
of the pretty paper thing!

Fabindia.......owww yike* that must have hurt!
--Immanuel Kant
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Both me and the OH have had nasty allergic reactions like this. It's histamine that causes the major reaction in order to protect the body, and your histamine levels are probably up anyway because of the hayfever triggers. The anti-histamines take down the reaction, and if you are very allergic you may have to have a higher dose than is usually given in over the counter medicines. Your pharmacist would be able to answer this kind of question if you tell them what you've been given, they could advise on available remedies. I've happily taken double dose of the non-drowsy ones with my GP's blessing. In rare cases and for one of OH's clegg bites, a steroid was also needed.
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

I don't think he's allergic to wasp stings but just the sight of them makes Ock screem like a girl and run away :-D
Dom
Ali Woks My World
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

That's interesting to know Freeranger. OH was told to keep antihistamines on him
at all times at the moment - bloomin wasps everywhere at the moment! Its good to
know that in an emergency he could take an extra one.
--Immanuel Kant
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I stopped wearing sandals after being stung on the foot once. I swelled to the knee and my ankle wouldn't bend. And a general 'unwell' feeling.
I never used to take antihistamines because i don't like taking things, would rather wait for my body to sort itself out. But I was pulling ragweed with daughter and we were both stung on the face. Phoned the surgery in panic advised to go to the chemist for antih which worked like a charm. So I carry them now. Always seem to get stung at least once while picking fruit (I wear long sleeves and nylon gloves when picking pears in case I grab one).

They are bad this year. Usually attack the plums but went for the soft fruit this year.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

kitla wrote:Julie, he's had waspstings before but never reacted to them. I feel our immune systems
are quite complex & taking antihistamines for a long time may affect it somehow,
after all an allergy is our system over reacting isn't it?
I had a weird allergy years ago, in desperation I saw a brilliant homeopathist & she
got rid of it but I didn't keep going (to expensive) & it came back when I was expecting
second ds, he then developed weird allergy like symptoms & odd health problems as a toddler that the dr couldn't explain, so I found another really good h/p & it all just
went away! Shame that h/p has left to train as homeopathic gp or I'd take my hubby to her.

Homoeopathy is like magic when it works, isn't it?
If you want dh to see a homoeopath but are worried about cost, try finding a local School of Homoeopathy. They usually take people as "Live Cases" for their students. You see an experienced homoeopath tutor for a pretty small fee, but you do have to be prepared to have the consultation in front of a group of students.
Worth it, though, especially as in your case you've seen homoeopathy work.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Just a safety note - you should always read patient info and/or ask a professional, so either a pharmacist or GP. I'm happy to take extra myself but wouldn't want anyone else to do it without checking it's OK for them personally 'cos I'd feel very bad if there was a freak situation.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Freeranger wrote:Just a safety note - you should always read patient info and/or ask a professional, so either a pharmacist or GP. I'm happy to take extra myself but wouldn't want anyone else to do it without checking it's OK for them personally 'cos I'd feel very bad if there was a freak situation.

yes of course, sorry I didn't mean to sound so blasé about that - especially on a forum!
and different types of a/h's may have different effects. I will check it out though as
it could be a good emergency measure to know about.
--Immanuel Kant