Stupid stye

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Re: Stupid stye

Post by Freeranger »

Oooo blast from the past. I'd forgotten about golden eye ointment. I was advised by a GP to soak a cotton bud in water as hot as you can stand and then rubbing the stye gently. I've never tried it but might any of the natural antisepetics work: like garlic juice? Don't know what Moorfields would say -probably, mind you don't get it in your eye, I should think. If that's what they do there....
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

It's still here }hairout{ I think I may have had two together and one burst a couple of weeks back.

It looks so ugly to me and not improving at all despite warm compresses, wedding rings etc. Ho hum
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

You can still buy Golden Eye Ointment - the active ingredient is chloramphenicol, the same as in Optrex Infected Eye drops.

Helen, get someone to buy some for you and give it a try, it really does help with mine, despite what they tell you. {hug}
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Hi Helen is your eye any better {hug} Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Thanks for asking, but Ni, not really. }hairout{

I must get to the docs soon
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

I've not heard of Golden Eye ointment before but if it has chloramphenicol in there it'll certainly help - it's an antibiotic routinely used for eye conditions.

Here's some more information )t'

http://www.nhs.uk/medicine-guides/pages/MedicineOverview.aspx?condition=Bacterial%20infections&medicine=chloramphenicol
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Ooo golden eye ointment is really old. I had it put on me as a child, when I had sty's
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I think it is about time you let your GP have a look. It sounds as though you have some infection there that may need antibiotics. When I was a kid, I suffered a lot with them and used Golden Eye Ointment, which did work sometimes. The trouble was as one cleared, another one came. It was thought to be a sign that you were run down, but probably an old wives tale.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

I always thought that too June.
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

How are you getting on Helen? {hug}
Bev x

p.penn

Post by p.penn »

As I think I had a stye which burst and I still have a lump, I think it may be a chalazion.

I have been warm compressing it, but think will try an eye bag, as the warmth of a flannel or eye pad just doesn't remain for long enough }hairout{
Helen xx

p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I am off to the docs this morning as it got worse over the weekend, came to a head yesterday and burst (ok - I may have squeezed it a bit :oops: ) but is still no better and is even more sore now. }hairout{

Stupid stye {mr.angry}
Helen xx

albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

p.penn wrote:I am off to the docs this morning as it got worse over the weekend, came to a head yesterday and burst (ok - I may have squeezed it a bit :oops: ) but is still no better and is even more sore now. }hairout{

Stupid stye {mr.angry}

Glad you are going at long last. Your final words really made me splutter }hairout{
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

{rofwl} Sorry June. Well the doc had a good look and said it was half chalzion and half stye. Not suitable for anti bs, so just wait for it to burst ( which she thought was pretty imminent.

Helen xx

Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Oh blimey Helen, so glad you got that looked at - it looks nasty.

I would keep up with your warm compresses and even add a little tiny bit of very mild shampoo (or baby shampoo if you can get hold of any) to bathe it with.

Why they didn't give you any ABO cream/drops/medication I don't know >coc<

If it gets any worse, especially pain, redness, warmth, swelling or blurring to your vision, you must go back or even see your optician. Or, even better, is there an eye department at your local hospital? Some of them have emergency eye departments see.

Take good care won't you hey {hug}
Bev x