One for the ladies - hot flushes

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Mad Chick

One for the ladies - hot flushes

Post by Mad Chick »

Has anyone got any tips for helping with hot flushes? Since starting on Tamoxifen for breast cancer two years ago they've been driving me insane. I've tried giving up caffeine but it didn't seem to make any difference.

I can't have HRT or any other oestrogen supplement because I had oestrogen positive breast cancer so trying to find natural remedies or complimentary therapies to help...

I had a massive one in Asda today and an elderly lady who was sitting in a seat by the door got up and offered me her chair and said I looked like I needed it more than she did! It was so embarrassing :oops:
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Re: One for the ladies - hot flushes

Post by mrs boodles »

Gosh, hope you get it sorted. I was very lucky, never had any as I had a bad overactive thyroid and was permanently overheated. {hug}
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Keep a fold up (old fashioned type) fan handy - there's some really pretty ones
on ebay. Mine have eased off a bit now, but I'm still careful what I wear, layers
that can be thrown off quickly, short tshirt & thin cardi rather than long sleeved top.
Last winter I found my furry gillet more useful than a jumper as having cold arms
helped keep it at bay.
I took black cohosh for a while, I dont think it made much difference though. My
friend said soya milk helped her. Mine get worse when I'm stressed.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
wendy

Post by wendy »

I have heard that the Japanese women do not get them, due to their diet. Apparently it is the Tofu, I believe.
There are natural remedies in places like Boots or Holland and Barratt.
I fortunately didn't have them either, as I took HRT
Good luck with your search {hug}
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
mardatha
Lively Laner

Post by mardatha »

I was on HRT until i was 60, came off it and went right into the menopause then {mr.angry} I found I didn't get them ( flushes) outside, and I didnt get them when I was quite cold. So had to sleep with one thin sheet and freeze lol - as well as sit out on the step a lot during the day. I have heard that sage is good, a friend who is an aromatherapist made herself a spray from a sage infusion.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Don't have any advice Mad Chick, but do hope you find a solution which works for you.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I seem to get them mostly at night and at work }hairout{ Having said that, at work it is mainly when I get stressed, and at night, after I have had a glass or two of wine }hairout{

As for what to do, I honestly think that diet can play a part, as can a fan!!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll be trying them out )t'

As luck would have it, I got an email yesterday from Breast Cancer Care and they are running a one day workshop on coping with menopausal side effects in a couple of weeks so have booked myself on it - hopefully pick up some more tips :-D
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
wendy

Post by wendy »

)t'
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
madmum
Legendary Laner

Post by madmum »

Sage is a mild phyto oestrogen so take advice before trying in your case although i do know people who swear by it...They are a ***** nuisance and have found me mucking out in a cropped top in midwinter( just us on the yard so no worries there!) :oops: Good luck with your search!!
If you always do what you always do ,you will always get what you have always got!