depression and the slippery road it leads to.

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

depression and the slippery road it leads to.

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi all, Horrible subject -Depression.
I have had experience of people and depression.
But I think the best cure is to recognise it and deal with it straight away.

If you leave the concern that causes it you will end up walking back up a mountain road instead.
I went on a bike race today and do I feel better for it . Before not interested in anything . Now full of life again.
So excersie does help you in times of troubl;e and recommend it to all.
If not the physical -mental will do as well I reacon.
Bob
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: depression and the slippery road it leads to.

Post by Mo »

I don't know enough to answer this properly, but I'm glad the outing worked for you.

I know that exercise is a great mood-lifter. But also that there are times when it is too much to bother.

Stay well.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
wendy

Post by wendy »

Never been down that road.
But have got very, very close to walking it.
Having the dogs does make me get up and go for a walk, first thing in the morning which I think does help a great deal.
I get up, dress up and get out.
Glad you are feeling better
{hug}
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I too feel fortunate not to have travelled that road, but have seen how devastating it can be. I am glad you did you bike ride and feel better for it. )like(
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

I have suffered with depression on and off since my mid teens.
You are so right - recognise it and deal with it quickly. It took me many years and a few hospital stays to realise this. I used to try to pretend it's not happening, ignore it and it will go away. Now I can recognise the early warning signs and take pre-emptive action - a long walk with the dog, a drive to the seaside or a hug from my mum are all wonderfully restorative.

After an operation a couple of years ago my surgeon told me to take my painkillers religiously, even if I wasn't in pain - as it is harder to get rid of the pain than to stop it coming in the first place. I feel like depression is similar - look after yourself, do what makes you happy even if only for a little while every day as it is much harder to get off of that road once you're half way down it.
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
wendy

Post by wendy »

)like(

jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Some great advice here, worth bearing in mind for everyone to keep themselves healthy and fit, in mind as well as in body )like(
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , not exactly depressive but you know what it is like when things do not go right and then it starts to pile on.
There is a saying , Life is good with a bit of chicken poo thrown in . (sometimes a flock of pigeons fly over and fulls like rain.
Bob
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

It's much harder than it sounds to spot the crossover point between down and depressed, I think. I have someone I'm worried about but who has good reasons to feel sad, but have had similar things said about me. Maybe we should all build some of the good habits into our schedules and remember to care for ourselves as well as other people and things.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi . Listen to air hostesses speach at start of flights.

Before you put a mask on someone else put your own one on.
Before you can help others you must make yourself good first.
Then you in the right place to give it.

You can also only help those that are willing to help themselves .(Not van thieves may I add).

Life is good as you make it to be . Smile in the mirror and see how much better you feel.
You cannot solve the worlds problems but a little by everone makes a lot of difference .
Bob
Blimey I sound like a preacher.....stick to fore and brimestone suits me better. Growl
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

There is nothing worse than another person telling you 'what have you got to be depressed about' . I fell foul in 1998 and again in 2004, which lasted for a year. I had to succumb to anti depressants which normally I would hate but just didn't care, anything to help. I get very low now and then but thankfully nothing like before. It sounds very selfish but it is good to hear we are not alone with this illness, because thank goodness people now understand that is what it is.
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
wendy

Post by wendy »

)like( {hug} {hug}

Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Very emotive subject, very honest posts.

I too have suffered in the past and to be honest I'm not sure how I got over it, it just came and went a few times like a virus.

But as said, if we have a hobby or an outlet, that seems to be a big key to success.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , I think the worse of it all, bearing in mind I cannot say I suffer from it , just the normal life gets the better of you things . Is the feeling that you must hide it and deal with it yourself .
If we had a more open society we may find that normal depression is solved before it gets manic.
bob
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

I don't know how the others feel, but I think that it is improving a bit and that depression is one of the few mental health conditions that people understand - even if they don't know what to do or how to help. I think it's maybe harder for men, who've been conditioned not to show their emotions. I'm sure any of us on here would be happy to read anything you wanted to get off your chest - PM if you want to.