Car seat cushions for bad hips etc ?

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Car seat cushions for bad hips etc ?

Post by Richard »

Hi

Suffering somewhat, if I were leaving for Scotland today I wouldn't be !!

I started hip pain about 10 days ago and at first thought it was secondary to my Herniated Disc and L5/S1 fusion etc.
Gradually got worse and worse and turns out to be Osteo Arthritis in the left hip.

Worst of all is driving followed a close second by just sitting down or standing still.

Around the houses over, has anyone experience of these memory foam car cushions?
Are they any good?

Doc. thinks it will be one of those come and go things, like a fortnight of pain, then a rest bite. If it gets worse then he'll refer me (that's a point, he didn't say where he would be referring me :-D :-D ).

Thanks,

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
p.penn

Re: Car seat cushions for bad hips etc ?

Post by p.penn »

I was diagnosed with osteo arthritis some years back, and I know the pain can be really awful {hug}

Don't know about cushions, but the consultant told me to take anti inflammatories at the first niggle (unfortunately I can't take them any more) and no breast stroke when swimming.

Luckily, I haven't had any pain for a while, but it comes and goes. Just focus on the going bit!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Richard

Post by Richard »

Thank you Helen. Family thing this Arthritis lark.
My Mother had both knees and hips replaced, my sister and daughter RA (my daughter's went on her second child birth), elder sister suffers as well.

Oh well

There are many benefits of not working anymore, if the body allows them of course !!

Adaptation's the key I suppose.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

No experience of cushions for bad hips. I tend to get sciatica down my left leg when driving a distance. Scotland is a long, long way to drive with any pain, and then camping in your minute Romahome. Hope you are pain free very soon.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Thank you spreckers, I'm making myself housebound for two days at present, just an odd walk with stick 100meters down to the end of the Lane and back, driving sets it off especially clutch.

Hoping it will go away, couldn't get down to put my socks on this morning {cry}

Will just have to see how it goes.

The positive is I have a Camper so can go more or less when I want and don't have to worry as in if I'd have booked Hotels or a Package.
Would like to avoid the Schools Summer Holiday though.
There again, easy to avoid kids in Scotland !!

Here's hoping, 9 days to sort it !

Richard
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Re the socks, at least it's summer and you can often go without any {hug} Also, if it gets very bad, get in tiogh with your gp and they will send someone (occupational health?) to see if they can help with any aids - they do sock putter onners (official name {rofwl} )
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
mardatha
Lively Laner

Post by mardatha »

The good news Richard is that I had this and although it was absolute agony for a few weeks, it did indeed clear up and hasn't come back at all.
The bad news is that we do have kids up here, we haven't quite managed to find out where they're coming from yet..
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Hi Richard, I don't know about special cushions, but do you have enough lower back support when you are sitting? I have a couple of those mesh supports, got them from Poundland, they are very good. I have one on my office chair, and one in my car. They help to keep my back straight without slouching.

Ilona
Richard

Post by Richard »

Thank you for the comments.

I've posted update on my failing health in Members Chat :-D :-D :-D

Onwards and upwards, or is it sideways.

Richard )t'