Problems with caffeine?

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
echelon
Longlasting Laner

Problems with caffeine?

Post by echelon »

Does anybody here have a problem with caffeine?

A few years ago I began feeling ill after drinking coffee - shaky, sick, very anxious etc.

So, I went onto decaff, but was still feeling nauseous and used to develop abdominal pains, so can't have coffee at all now.

Then, the same started happening with tea! So, I went onto decaff tea and I'm fine apart from if I have 'normal' tea at work, then I start getting the shakes again!

Has this happened to anybody else?
wendy

Post by wendy »

About 6 years ago I suffered from Trigeminal neuralgia, severe facial pain. I wouldn't wish it on my worse enemy !!
I read that caffeine had an effect on making it worse. I haven't had any since.
I was told it would never go and I would be on tablets for the rest of my life. But, fortunately, It has been gone for 6 years.... thank goodness.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Sounds horrendous Wendy, glad it has stopped.

Beware of caffeine in coke as well. I don't have a problem with tea or coffee, I drink quite weak coffee anyway, but if I take Codeine tablets it has the same effects as echelon describes above - I think its a combination of paracetamol and caffeine? So I would check this out if you ever need a pain killer )t' and don't take it if I am right, it is very unpleasant.
RoomandKitchen
Lively Laner

Post by RoomandKitchen »

Hi Echelon

I can have a limited amount of caffine, but too much can tigger a similar reaction.

Not pleasant ...!!

I tend to get caught out if I am out as I will tend to drink Diet Cola if I am not drinking alchohol. People tend to include you in the round etc you can clock up a good couple of litres over a night then feel worse the next morning as you have not been able to sleep !!!

I try and limit it now to two or three mugs a day

I also find a couple of large glasses of water can calm me down if I do over do it
taff
Longlasting Laner

Post by taff »

I have no reaction to caffeine in a cup of coffee or tea, or coke.
Co-codamol tablets on the other hand, give me the shakes and heart-beating-fast symptoms.
I gave it up for a while and had the most god-awful headache for a week when I went cold turkey though.
to err is human..to moo, bovine...
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

I was going to say, some painkillers have caffeine in them. I dont know why or anything, just happened to notice it when buying some in the supermarket last week.
BTW I used to work in a chemist and found out some very interesting things...did you know that the very cheap bottles of own-brand paracetamol have the exact same ingredients as the very expensive over-packaged branded ones??
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

I always buy own label paracetamol and ibuprofen )t'
echelon
Longlasting Laner

Post by echelon »

Yeah, the generic stuff is just as good as the branded products.

Co-Codamol doesn't contain caffeine, but I have heard of a few people reacting to it. Some manufacturers add caffeine to their paracetamol preparations, but it would be written on the outside of the box if it did.
RoomandKitchen
Lively Laner

Post by RoomandKitchen »

Babycakes wrote:BTW I used to work in a chemist and found out some very interesting things...did you know that the very cheap bottles of own-brand paracetamol have the exact same ingredients as the very expensive over-packaged branded ones??

There is a number on all the packets starting PL and then some numbers e.g. PL 12345/6789 this is the dr-ugs number (don't know the proper name for it). Basically all the medicines with that number have the same active ingredients and do the same thing.

So if you use hayfever meds for example look for the PL number on the branded one and then hunt through the generic ones for the one with the same PL number on it.

It will do the exact same job, in fact it has too by Law.

Mr RoomandKitchen has been taking the 97p antihistamine for years now and says its as good as the branded one.

julie2
Legendary Laner

Post by julie2 »

Red Bull is full of caffeine. A friend of mine drank quie alot of cans one evening when she was on a night out, and ended up in hospital. She thought she was going to die!!! We laugh about it now. :?
chickens rock!!!
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I am reading a book at the moment called New Optimum Nutrition for the Mind, by Patrick Holford. It makes very interesting reading, talking about the connection between what you eat and drink and how it directly affects how you feel and think.

Caffeine is bad for you because you can get withdrawal symptoms after consuming only 100mg a day, what's more worrying is what it does to the brain. The more you consume the more the brain becomes insensitive to it's own natural stimulants, you need to break the habit. It says if you cut out caffeine for 2 weeks you will become more alert and your health will improve.

If you want to see the book it is here
book on Amazon

Ilona
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

OMG i Love cappucino's my fav drink! :oops:
i have had neuralgia in my face for about 3 weeks since having a cold perhaps i should try cutting the coffee out confused>

stace
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

I tend not to drink any caffeine after lunchtime as it has kept me awake at night in the past. It’s an interesting subject and I am assuming that like nicotine or alcohol use it has it’s negative effects as well as the perceived positive ones. I can quite believe the bit MQ said about cutting it out of a diet; it actually makes sense if you consider the negative effect that heavy coffee drinkers sometimes claim to have after their caffeine is removed.
Whilst I was an apprentice (a lifetime ago) it was fairly common practice amongst some of our number (not me) to use caffeine tablets to help them stay up late at night in order to revise for the following day’s examinations. They were banned after there were instances of examinees falling asleep through the exam they had worked so hard to pass.
Bah Humbug
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

It has certainly made me think about cutting down on coffee. As well as being adictive, it worsens mental performance. If you want to know more about why caffeine is bad for you take a look at Patrick Holford's web side. It's got all you need to know about diet and health.

Kick the Caffeine

Ilona
^b:
Emmamoo
Lively Laner

Post by Emmamoo »

When I was a teenager I experimented with some certain feel good things (you know what I mean) and didn't have a very good time trying - so much so I couldn't even have caffeine. I am happy to say I don't experiment with anything else (except where my sweet tooth is concerned!) and don't drink anything like coffee and especially not the likes of Redbull - which IMO should be banned from sales completely in this country.

Caffeine makes me have palpitations, I get short of breath and I get anxious and shake etc. It's been since about 1998 since I last had some coffee, coca-cola etc and I'm on the decaf.

Caffeine is the root of all evil. )de:
****Emma****

...Ever the optimist!