Old remedies

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
saint-spoon

Old remedies

Post by saint-spoon »

I am not sure if folk have been watching but there has been a programme on the box about staying healthy for less recently. Anyway I caught a bit of it the other day and thought that I'd give it a go for the snotty nose, tickley cough and runny noise that I seemed to have been gited from youngest daughter.

Lemon and honey in hot water... works even better with a healthy splash of Pusser's rum, I also added a grate of fresh ginger because I had some and I like it.

I wasn't sure if it had cured me so had to try a second (for medicinal purposes and those of scientific experimentation).

the third one seemed to do the trick. )t'

actually the honey and lemon did ease my throat but I still have a snotty nose.
Bah Humbug
wendy

Re: Old remedies

Post by wendy »

I always take honey and lemon when I have a cold. Never tried the ginger bit. But I will now
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

My Mum always swore by lemon and honey for a cough, but for a cold it had to be whisky mac! {rofwl}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

The old trick of hiding under a towel breathing in steam from a bowl is supposed to be good for clearing the tubes - mint or ginger in the water, I think. Thanks to Willow, and a post about killing mould (dilute it in water), I discovered clove oil as an antiseptic (little bottle from the pharmacy=c. £2-£2.50), which you could add to the steaming water for colds, and can also be put on sore gums for toothache. Personally, I hate the taste and it makes me feel sick, but I'm told it works.
Unfortunately, none of this is as much fun as a whisky mac!
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Freeranger wrote:The old trick of hiding under a towel breathing in steam from a bowl is supposed to be good for clearing the tubes

I never had a runny nose down inthe boiler room back in my steam ship days... drank a lot of alcohol back then so not sure which gave the best health benefits to be honest {rofwl}
Bah Humbug
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Freeranger wrote:The old trick of hiding under a towel breathing in steam from a bowl is supposed to be good for clearing the tubes - mint or ginger in the water, I think

... you need menthol crystals from the chemist (it's not expensive - about £2-£5 for a little pot - like this from ebay) Boil the water, and then drop a tiny pinch / just a couple of crystals into the hot water and then put your head under the towel and breathe in the steam. Almost immediately the menthol in the steam is pretty potent (hence, don't put too many crystals in the water!) - might even make your eyes weep too, so breathe in through your nose carefully and be prepared to lift the towel up to get some fresh air. Menthol will most certainly clear a stuffy nose - you might end up with a runny nose LOL and when you lift your head from under the towel, your skin will feel "cool" from the menthol.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

LL I read that too quickly and thought you were recommending meth crystals for a moment! Must have been what I was thinking of instead of mint. (menthol!)
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

I have a 2 year old bottle of linctus in fridge .
Bob