Colds

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Colds

Post by Richard »

Just a thought, but if we lived alone on a Desert Island, would we catch a common cold ?

Bit like where does the Universe end isn't it !!

Richard :-D
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Colds

Post by lancashire lass »

Richard wrote:if we lived alone on a Desert Island, would we catch a common cold ?

Now that's an interesting question. It would seem several theories are flying around as to the origins of the common cold:

1. Science Daily

There are four globally endemic human coronaviruses which, together with the better known rhinoviruses, are responsible for causing common colds. Usually, infections with these viruses are harmless to humans. Researchers have now found the source of 'HCoV-229E,' one of the four common cold coronaviruses, to have originated in camels, just like the dreaded MERS virus

So unless your desert island has a population of camels and one has a cold, possibly not.

On the other hand, this is interesting:

2. Science Daily

A virus that causes cold-like symptoms in humans originated in birds and may have crossed the species barrier around 200 years ago, according to an article in the Journal of General Virology

Which means the risk of catching a cold is raised significantly )j;
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

)like(

As always Lassie, an informative and instructive reply )t' )t' )t'

Scuppered my plans for further escaping the rat race !!

Must admit, didn't think of germs being carried by creatures other than humans.
I have to say, Camels didn't come into my train of thought.

Richard :-D :-D
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I never catch a cold, maybe it's because I steer clear of germmy people. The only time I speak to people is out in the street, once a week at Crafty Club, and I do chat to the lady at the checkout. There are advantages of becoming an anti social old grump. I like the idea of becoming a hermit.

Ilona
)x5(