Turmeric

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Turmeric

Post by fabindia »

Wendy and I have been taking a half a teaspoon of turmeric and a half a teaspoon of ginger in a little milk every morning for a long time now. It is supposed to help with general inflammation, joints, etc. and may even have other health benefits.

I am not a great believer in supplements but in this case I guess it doesn't do any harm.
Michael
kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Turmeric

Post by kitla »

from watching a tv program about certain supplements, as I understand it turmeric is only fully effective when added during cooking. Something to do with reacting with heat and oils. They did a trial on groups of people taking turmeric in both forms & only those using it in cooking benefited from it. Have you found it helps?
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

We all started taking organic Turmeric Curcumin and organic Black Pepper quite some months ago, just one capsule a day.
The reason I started it was because I have Osteoarthritis and cannot take anti inflammatory
dr-ugs and this has given me so much relief.
Clare my daughter did a bit of research on it and from that we understand that it does work better if it is heated and also used together with Black Pepper and this is why we settled on this capsule. The capsule has 600mg of organic Turmeric and 5mg of organic Black Pepper and we just take one capsule a day with water when eating food.
I did try taking just the power on food some years ago and it went through me like a dose of salts.
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Someone I work with was making the turmeric, curcumin and black pepper paste which I tried for a few weeks but it was giving me awful indigestion so I had to stop taking it. Not sure it made any difference to my aches and pains but I maybe wasn't taking it for long enough. She's going to try a different ratio of ingredients to see if it helps.
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I read that it is supposed to be mixed to a paste with black pepper and coconut oil, and can be given to horses and dogs. I tried it for a while with Rocky, but he was on Metacam so I don't know if it really worked. I use turmeric a lot in my cooking.

ilona
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Our ponies are all on Turmeric, MQ and Edna who is 22 yrs old seems to be really benefiting from it, doesn't seem quite so still and getting up and down a bit better.
Teddy, Clare's GSD is also on it now as we think he may have OCD as on/off lame on his right fore leg for some time now which resting doesn't help.
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Just cook and eat a curry! )c+ )t' )t'
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

silverback wrote:Just cook and eat a curry! )c+ )t' )t'

Curry - our staple food!
Michael
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Tumeric and ginger makes for an excellent marinade for chicken. I add it to liquidised brown onion and some fish sauce or soy. great for on the barbecue. >veg3< )c+ >eas1<
Bah Humbug