On the wagon......

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Teasal
Longlasting Laner

Post by Teasal »

I know the agony of acid reflux - never have I felt so ill before. Mine is linked to my stomach ulcers. At present they are under control, but stress brings them on, and the acid reflux starts again.

I used to like lager, and the odd glass of wine, but while I was really ill with the acid reflux I had to stop drinking completely. Now I can have an odd can of lager, but thats it. Doesn't really bother me now, not having a drink.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Keep at it Kate.

)t'
)t'

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Thanks guys, another night of good sleep (other than the dreams but thats totally normal, I feel exhausted when I wake up!)

I am amazed at not missing it, no cravings, it feels a bit like I was poisoning myself. I have a hiatus hernia so really should look after myself better anyway :-D
crazy chick
Lively Laner

Post by crazy chick »

I truthfully can say I love my wine ...but it has to b a good one and I am partial to cider too :shock: ....I have weeks when I can't get enough of the stuff then there are weeks when I don't bother ......good for you Kate I wish I had your willpower )t'
echelon
Longlasting Laner

Post by echelon »

Acid reflux can sometimes be caused by a bacteria called Helicobacter Pylori, so if it persists even after you've given up the red wine for a while, it might be worth asking for a test for this. It's easily cured with a course of antibiotics.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

I haven't had any tests for a while, but it all started after I had the kids. With the first two it stopped after I had them but with number 3 it never went away. I've had endoscopies, 24 hour tapes as well as blood tests, and other than finding a small hiatus hernia they all came out ok. I have been on tablets to reduce acid production on and off ever since.

The other way I cured it was to lose 3 stone, but I just don't seem to be able to do that one again :?
echelon
Longlasting Laner

Post by echelon »

3 stone? That's quite an achievement. I'm finding it tough shifting some weight after having the kids too.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

It was about 10 years ago I suppose, I went to our local Slimming World group. I started at 12.12 and ended up 10 stone a year later but within a fortnight had put 1/2 stone back on. Have tried and failed many times since, lose a stone put 1 1/2 back on. Am now 14.7 which for 5'7" tall is not good.

Problem is that I need to change my eating habits, diets don't work cos you cannot stick to them for the rest of your life. But I love butter and cheese, and big portions. I make home made pies for the boys, and rice puddings and crumbles. Have jacket spuds with cheese for lunch. There's no nice tasty alternatives really :?

But at least I am a lot fitter since I got my dog 2 years ago, I can walk miles now, and uphill without stopping for breath )t'
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

Kate, I know exactly how you feel - I weighed myself (for the first time since I had the Grace) and am 14stone 8 :shock:
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Sarah we just aren't tall enough thats all :-D Well anyway there is more of us to cuddle :!:
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

I'm starting the gym in 20 minutes - I have decided to just fill up on painkiller sfor my back and get on with it - I'm scared lol
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Don't do it, its 'orrible :shock:
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

I have no choice, it's a whole 8 feet from my office to the gym lol
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Babycakes, you have no excuse not to go to the gym, but I wonder if it is a good idea to take painkillers first??? Pain is there to warn you something is not quite right, if you can't feel anything and get on the machines you might do some more damage. Don't you have an instructor to go through things with you and to devise a programme to suit your needs, surely you don't just 'have a try on things.' ? :?

Ilona
Teasal
Longlasting Laner

Post by Teasal »

Quite a few people with acid reflux have said its because they are overweight, but mine certainly isn't due to that. I am only 8st and 5ft 1ins, and when I was really ill with it, I went down to just under 7st, and looked ghastly with bones sticking out all over the place, and yet the doctor could not see why I was worried. It took ages to get the weight back on.