MRI scan

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
ChooksAway!
Lively Laner

Post by ChooksAway! »

Hi, a bit of a late entrant here but I've just spotted this thread!

I had two lots of MRIs last year (head and neck) and personally I loved it! Being shut away where the children couldn't get at me for half an hour, nobody could ring me, demand anything, it was a real luxury! The staff were very kind and talked to me throughout over an intercom thingy, explained what was going on etc. Just think of it as a bit of me-time!!

I had earplugs for the noise but no music, but I didn't find it unpleasantly loud and totally agree with Meanqueen about finding patterns in the sounds, they were quite symmetrical and not just random loud noise, so fascinating really.

The only issue I had was it was a bit cold because there's a fan going to cool the machinery so would recommend wearing something snug if you can (I wore an old pair of elasticated maternity trousers to get round the "no metal" rule, had to go bra-less though, wore a t-shirt but would add something long-sleeved and fleecy if going through it again!!).

CA!
Bok bok bok
Lively Laner

Post by Bok bok bok »

Hi BC

Only just spotted this too! You'll be fine! You know how many MRI's I've had this year - infact i'm thinking about having my post redirected!

I think everyone has covered just about everything between them.

One thing that I have only just come across in my last scan was the mirror! I ahve alwys been left staring at a beige tube but this time they put a mirror infront of me which allowed me to see the radiographers through their window. I have to say it made the whole experience far more plesant being able to visualise the outside world.

If you are worried I would highly reccomend the diazepam - Just don't drive home!!!

Good luck

x
2 children, half a springer Spaniel, a Hamster, 2 Goldfish and an allotment. And a very excited, now mummy of some chickens again, Daisey, Dotty and Master Yoda!

A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion!
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Re: MRI scan

Post by Babycakes »

Well, the scan was yesterday. I had to wear horrible hospital pyjamas and listen to leona Lewis, which didn't put me in a good mood. I closed my eyes and did the relaxation breathing I learned at uni. But it was like a horror film, where no matter how scared you are you just have to look because you can't bear the unknown....and I wished I hadn't. I couldnt see the end of the tube thing so I screwed my eyes closed as hard as I could. I was doing ok, I managed to stay still and controlt he panicky feelings until she told me it was over and she was bringing me out...and I didn't move. And I was still listening to Leona Lewis. And I still didn't move. And I was still in the tube. And I was still in the tube and I was getting really scared and starting to sweat, and I knew it had only been about 30 seconds since the lady talked to me, but thats all it takes to drop dead of a heart attack and she could be lying ont he floor for hours before anyone notices and I would still be in the tube with no way out and it was hot and I was really sweating now and my heart was hammering and I still wasnt moving and the sweat was beading on my forehead....and then the woman pushed the button and I slid out of the tube. I was sweating like mad I was so scared, when I got off the bed thing my legs nearkly gave way. But I had managed to stay still so they dont need to repeat any of the scans.
I get the results in about 3 weeks - here's hoping thats the end of the MRI for me!!
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
wendy

Post by wendy »

Well done Sarah, I know exactly how you felt. I was drugged to the eyeballs and only head and shoulder s in there. But I had a cage over my head and the tunnel was really close as it was a brain scan [they failed to find one confused> ] I was crying terribly by the time she bought me out. I am so clautrophobic. I have to have the landing light on of a night...what a wimp !!
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

I think I would have been ok if I could have seen the end of the tube and a way out, but I couldnt, and I knew I couldn't sit up to look out. Definately not an experiance I want to repeat.
Now all I have to do is get the courage to go to the dentist and get my broken tooth fixed!!
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
Lilo-Lil
Legendary Laner

Post by Lilo-Lil »

You did so well Sarah, you should be so proud of yourself. I dont think I could have gone through such a thing sober!

Fingers crossed for when you get the results
Neutered pets are happy pets! Please spay or neuter your pets. There are thousands in rescue waiting for loving homes, and not enough people to take them on.
Bok bok bok
Lively Laner

Post by Bok bok bok »

Yeay! Well Done you. )t'

Your post made me chuckle... it is just so true!

At least it's all over and you stayed in there long enough to avoid a second trip.

Good Job jobbed!
x
2 children, half a springer Spaniel, a Hamster, 2 Goldfish and an allotment. And a very excited, now mummy of some chickens again, Daisey, Dotty and Master Yoda!

A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion!
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Well done BBC - all done now. )c(
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

Well done you. Hope the scans are good news.