consultant says your too young!!

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
daveindeal
Lively Laner

consultant says your too young!!

Post by daveindeal »

my wife has suffered from PERTHES' DISEASE since the age of 9 and spent 6 months in hospital on traction when she was 11 and then a further 8 months at home on traction.

she goes to the hospiotal every year or 6 months for reviews.

when she was 13 the consultant said that as soon as she stops growing she will require a hip replacment on one side and possable the other as well.

however for the last year the pain and walking has got worse....the consultant has retired and his under dog has took over..... he has said now on 2 occasions that he refuese to give her a new one till she is at lease 30 years old as she is too young.

does this mean she has to be in pain and unable to walk less then 30 yards at a time for the next 9 years!!

why is this one saying different to the last consultant "answers on a post card"
Some friends are like a slinky, boring till you push them down the stairs.
http://mongehamestate.blogspot.com/
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

You can ask for a second opinion.

My Mum had a hip replacment when she was 38 and was told she was too young and that the hip would only last 10 years, it lasted 20.

They way they 'fix' hips has changed also. If it is likley that the person will need a revision they do not 'cement' it in.

Read all you can about hip replacments and do ask for a second opinion. Discuss your concerns with your GP.

Hope this helps, and that your wife is pain free soon. {{hug}}
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

Keep pushing for it Dave the reason they say she is to young is because they last for only about 15 years then she will need another, its quality of life get a second opinion!

Stace
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
silky
Longlasting Laner

Post by silky »

As an ex nurse I can give you some information that the doctors’ don’t tell you.
In later life when you need a second replacement is when the problem come in. The complications of the second operation are very real and people die or have to have their limb amputated, because the second one doesn’t work correctly.

My wife is 65 and for the last 15 years she has been told that she is too young. The argument I have put forward to my doctor is that hip replacements for my wife would be benefit two fold. 1) She would be able to walk again and she wouldn’t have the pain. 2) I also would be able to have a little social life as at the moment we don’t go out because she is incapable of walking more that a few feet. We have been refused a home carer so I have to do everything for her and at age 70 it is now getting a bit much for me.
But the doctor’s answer is still no.
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

All I can say is, keep pushing. Mum got her knee replaced in December, 6 weeks before her 56th brithday and she had to fight for it because she was "too young" She eventually got it because her condition deteriorated extremely quickly, and she was able to convince the doctor that she needed the quality of life now, while her general health and age were good enough for her to actually use it. Her theory was, what's the point in getting it done in 10/15 years time when Grace is older and she could have other things wrong with her and therefore wouldnt get the fill benefit of it??
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

I could be cynical and say it's down to money? I don't know, but it does seem you have to fight for what you need healthwise. Definitely I agree with the others about getting a second opinion. Maybe do as much research yourself on the internet, too so when you argue your wife's case you will be able to state all the facts.

I hope she gets her new hip(s) soon, quality of life is paramount.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hi Dave,

How about asking your GP if there's some alternative methods to at least reduce the pain etc?

Hope it goes well,

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome