Is being fit, being healthy?

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I say NO, not necessarily.

In the summer I work with Professional Cricketers, from young apprentice types through to the best players in the world.

They have Bleep tests daily, train to a standard of Athletes, follow fairly strict good food guidelines and under supervision.

Yet.....

They catch more colds than I do, have more bugs than I do and I enjoy my rollies, umpteen coffee's a day and am rather partial to Steamed Puddings and of the like!

It seems that we are in an age where the Gym is King, somewhere to go where you're going to be much better off for it - but are you - plus you're short of cash after the membership costs.

Am I talking cods wallop ???

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I reckon that I keep fit walking round the orchard, picking fruit, and some gentle dancing twice a week.
Mind you I'd like to be a little bit fitter, to be able to dance Irish Sets all evening without getting puffed, or cycle furthe up Gooseberry Hill before I have to get off.
But I think your cricketers may be pushing themselves hard, obviously it's not good for them. You read about ballet dancers forcing their bodies to do things they were not designed for, and never mind the pain or the future problems.
That's the price of excellence I suppose; I'll stick to mediocrity.
Richard

Post by Richard »

I agree Mo. In that sense, it's not good for them. Also, by the time a bowler is in his mid thirties, he's often physically 'finished' with so many injuries caused by that 101% he's looking for.

I think it's getting the balance. I'm usually prone to things more in the winter when I'm doing less.
Through the summer month's I'm working silly hours, have days off and do the gardening plus running around on various errands.

I am constantly being told to slow down, sounds silly, but I don't know how to!
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

some people just cant slow down richard! :wink:

i find if ive been really busy and decide to treat myself to a restfull day, thats when i get ill!

used to be really fit and healthy as a teenager, as i swam for a team (training 8 times a week) and if we went on holiday away from it id be the one to catch a cold or bug! i manage to get flu every year without fail too between october and december. my family have commented on setting up bets to see when its going to happen. last year it was the week before christmas!!

i think the world is too 'clean' now a days with all the chemical sprays and wash-your-hands-after-everything routines!! so no matter how fit and healthy you are, youre immune system wont be!!
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Post by AnnaB »

I agree with you Richard, especially about gyms. I don't have any 'formal exercise' but I do plenty - house, girls, gardening and shopping albeit window at times.

I drive everywhere and smoke and overall I am very healthy. I am 5' 7" and weigh 10 and a half stone.

My GP is getting bigger every-time I see her and last time she told me she ate too much (from a GP!)
Nearly every nurse and hospital workers are overweight (nursing pens again) When I first trained it was normal to be the correct weight, we never sat down.

People pay so much money for gym membership and I wish they would come and dig my garden (they could do this for nothing!) It stresses them when they feel they haven't got time to attend the gym.

Outcome - gym fit is not always healthy.

Anna
Jodi
Lively Laner

Post by Jodi »

My thought - you can be as fit as an elite athlete, but if your mind is not healthy, the body will show the signs, regardless of any amount of diet and exercise.

I've had problems with sinus, allergy probs, recurring throat infections etc over the past few years - when things really heated up at work - my health would deteriorate, including 2 miscarriages during a very stressful period at work - my Dr. advised that although health and events could not be soley due to my work, it would most likely contribute, as there seemed to be a set pattern.

Not having "worked" for the past 11 months - I haven't even had the slightest cold and mentally, have never felt better or stronger :-D

cheers
Jodi
Richard

Post by Richard »

Good point, our immunity is really affected by our state of mind isn't it.

Richard
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

My hubby runs about 40-50 miles per week and races once per week/fortnight.

He generally gets more colds than me, but I reckon it's because he pushes his body harder than I do!!
Small steps lead to big changes
melons
Legendary Laner

fitness

Post by melons »

My OH has just the worst diet on earth, he would eat beans on toast every day if he could, he's 41 but can run a marathon in 3 hours 27 minutes, what a star, he had TB as a child, & his lungs are quite marked on an xray, he has had pneumonia too, but he is very very fit.

I am still suffering from a motor bike accident from when I was 21, I wrecked my knee ligaments, but..........I still run twice a week & do a step class, keep generally active all weekend & evenings, we bike, ski & are rarely inactive, we're never really ill. (I'll be ill now :oops: )
I do a step class with a lady who is on the 80 side of 70, she is amazing, she does a class every day at the keep fit place, she can run a marathon in 5 + 1/2 hours, of which she has done 3, she is my nemesis, when ever I feel that one day I may have to give it all up, I just look at her & think no way, not when she hasn't, I also work with a guy of 80, he is a retired surgeon, he is amazing, he has just started a french degree course. So while I'm surrounded by fit as a fiddle so called old guys, it keeps me on my toes :-D
Once a week we eat absolute rubbish, it's the law :-D :-D
Cheers
mel x
heebiejeebie
Lively Laner

Post by heebiejeebie »

The mr and I are both runners. I do "ultras" so lots of slow, aerobic runs with food breaks. Unfortunately I'm not fit at the moment due to a knee problem and an ankle injury that have nothing to do with running - I fell over! If I don't want to be overweight I need to burn calories since I like food. Running also lets my brain switch off if I'm feeling a bit frazzled.

I know people who are naturally thin but unfit, fat but fit, run fast but smoke, play football in the Sunday league but get bladdered after, etc. We're all different in lifestyle and genetics! There are so many factors to "healthy" that it would be difficult to hit them all.
There's no cure for stupidity.
wendy

Post by wendy »

I think you can get to such a peak of fitness, that you become vunerable to injuries and viruses.
My son in law runs Iron man competions and my daughter marathons and they are always getting colds etc. and of course injuries.
I walk for England, not only my dogs a couple of times a day. But also a guide dog for a friend and others when their owners are out for a long time. I think it is the best excercise around, as well as pilates which I go to twice a week.
I went for a health check in February and a very portly nurse [who had just told me she has gained 12lb in a year] said I had a little too much fat !! 63, 5' 2" and 9st 3 lb I weighed exactly to the lb what I had done 2 years previous. I was polite.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Post by AnnaB »

Wendy
Why be polite - she wasn't 'portly' she was a lardy. I posted earlier about my GP, she said to me a few years ago about me putting on weight, my response was she would find more fat on a chip.......
PK
Lively Laner

Post by PK »

A couple of observations about fitness and health:-

1. A few years back I was a serious athlete, training 80-100miles a week. I was very fit, but as others have found, very prone to colds etc. My competitive running career can to an end after recurrent injuries.

2. I would say I am, fortunately, quite healthy and have not had a day off sick since 1989 (tonsillitis). I work hard at my job. But when I have annual leave I nearly always get a cold and feel run down. Its as if I am at full throttle and focused when at work, and when I 'let go' during a week or two's leave the body collapses.
Emma
Lively Laner

Post by Emma »

Over the past few months I've been cooking with local, seasonal veg, and swapped some of or wheat based meals for rice or beans/pulses. No change is body size/shape whatever, but we're both feeling much better for it. )t'

For me, my emotional wellbeing has a huge impact on how healthy I feel, we had a lovely time over summer having friends and family round, and I've felt much brighter for it.

The only issue I have with my "fitness" is the weight I've put on over my stomac since I finished doing dance and drama at college, hence the belly dancing.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Just found this study into how being fit, or not being fat, affected your chances of living longer.
It amused me to read that the survivors were more fit than the ones who died.

This is the sort of 'science' that has me yelling at the radio.. "Yes, but..." and muttering about cause and effect.