Photography

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
p.penn

Re: Photography

Post by p.penn »

Your pics are great, well done )t'

I would love to know how to work a SLR camera but have never got around to learning. Trouble is I get quite good results with my little digital but perhaps one day..... :-D
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
teddymouse
Longlasting Laner

Post by teddymouse »

LL ,great photos,thanks for sharing them with us )t'

angie
angie
why is it these days that common sense and common decency aren't that common?????
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

You all so kind thank you, but yes, I am very pleased with my first macro photos and enjoying going out into the garden at every opportunity to find more subjects. Part of that enjoyment is then trying to identify any "wildlife" that have been visitng my garden such as butterflies and other bugs that I never knew I had - might have something to do with my garden turning into a meadow while I spend most of my spare time at the allotments :shock:

As for photography being a cheap hobby :oops: :oops: :oops: ... actually, there's always something else you think you need after the initial purchase: first the camera body & accompanying lenses, media storage cards, a suitable carry bag to carry them in and protect from knocks & extreme weather, followed by decent editing software, then realise the limitations of the lenses you already have for something you'd really like to do (such as the macro work - so I bought the extension tubes & ordered the close up lenses which was a lot cheaper than a macro lens), external light (I'm going to cobble something up - again, this accessory is way too expensive), a tripod (I've already got), shutter release (to avoid camera shake & get ultra sharp photos especially for macro work), a card reader for the laptop (I'm glad I went for the laptop with the multi GB ram that was recommended last year - I thought it was well OTT but perfect for uploading photos now), and then there's the idiots guides to buy to understand the manuals that accompany the camera and software ... the list goes on :oops: Hence the shock when I realised my current account was rapidly sliding into the overdraft yike*

p.penn wrote:I would love to know how to work a SLR camera but have never got around to learning. Trouble is I get quite good results with my little digital but perhaps one day..... :-D

I might agree that the compact cameras today are brilliant and I was undecided whether to replace my decent (broken) camera with one of those at a fraction of the cost. But I've always been interested in photography and decided it was time to get more serious with it and an SLR camera has a lot more potential. There is another reason for going down this road as well but I don't want to jinx it just yet by revealing anything ... let's put it this way, there is potential for extra income ((w
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

Great pics! I treated myself to a DSLR late last year, it has an amazing zoom and macro so I have taken some super pics - I tend to take up to 50 when I get going though, and at 2MB each they take up a lot of space! yike* The only problem I find is my auto focus is very flaky, it sometimes takes ages of me moving a tad this way or that to get it to focus properly, not ideal when you are trying to do wildlife!
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

what make and model camera have you got SB? Auto focus problems may be due to poor light (especially when trying to do macro stuff) It might not look bad to you but the camera sensors could be struggling. If you are absolutely positive it's not that, it might be worth getting the camera checked while it's still under its 12 month warranty as it could be a fault. Also might be worth asking a photography forum like http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/ where there are some amazingly clever people and experts on various aspects of photography & equipment who might know if it is a characteristic fault of that camera or give advice on how to improve things (I should point out that although I joined that forum a couple of months ago, I feel so inadequate to participate much but I really enjoy looking at some of the fantastic photos other people post which are also very inspirational and even better when the poster explains the technical know-how of how they did it )t' )
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

It's a Nikon Coolpix P80, Lancashire Lass. I'm fairly confident about the light because I took quite a few pics when we had the heatwave which brought out all the exciting insects and it was very sunny then. I guess it's worth going back to the shop, the chap who sold it to me did say to go back if I had any problems.
I would add if anyone is thinking of getting one the lens cap is a nightmare, it falls off at the slightest touch, unlike my old OM10 which had a little thing on each side you had to press to take it off - it was so much better. Probably would have cost Nikon pence to do and would have made a huge difference to my enjoyment of taking it around with me!
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Due to a little financial rejuggling, I decided I really needed to get the macro lens for a project that I am working on and treated myself - oh my, I am so pleased with it and the results are truly amazing. It has opened up a whole new world of taking photographs. Here are some of my first attempts 8)

Pretty in Purple chilli flower
Hoverfly
Pear rust fruiting body & spores
Dahlia flower bud just opening
Nasturtium
Eggs (spider?)
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

They are lovely LL, worth every penny I would say.

Ilona
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

WOW they are stunning photos )t'